• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
New Zealand's theory is that they are a better chasing side, no matter what the condition of the pitch (see Chappell-Hadlee series 2006/07). Also I guess they considered that the side chasing had won all three games so far this series.
Yeah, fair points both and probably both came into play when they ultimately decided to field first. On such a batting strip, I would have done otherwise as putting runs on the board puts pressure on the opponents but there is a definite case to field first as well as you pointed out.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still don't get why New Zealand selected to field on this batting beauty. Might just be handing the game to the English with such a blunder. If England get the runs on the board, which they very well can here, all the pressure will be on the Kiwis.
Neither team in this series is a competent setting side. Whoever goes out to bat will be thinking, "whatever we get, they'll get more" - and whoever's chasing will be thinking "whatever they get we'll get more."

Entirely psychological and, if England had won the toss, I'm sure we'd have fielded too.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Flat pitch, O'Brien to come into the attack, can only see England getting 250+ unless Vettori can produce something special.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Presume we won't be seeing you up as late as the last game then?

That's a maiden from Martin, not something I was exactly expecting to see.
I probably shouldn't be up now as I've not had sufficient sleep this week. I'm likely to stick about until Mustard gets out as Ian Bell batting makes me angry at present...

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, fair points both and probably both came into play when they ultimately decided to field first. On such a batting strip, I would have done otherwise as putting runs on the board puts pressure on the opponents but there is a definite case to field first as well as you pointed out.
So would I, but in recent times we've been intent on chasing no matter what given what occurred against Australia last season. As I said before though, England should make 300 considering the conditions and no matter what your line up or past ability to chase big scores, it'll take some getting if the England do make a large total.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I probably shouldn't be up now as I've not had sufficient sleep this week. I'm likely to stick about until Mustard gets out as Ian Bell batting makes me angry at present...
Let's hope for your kids' sake as well as England's WC2011 prospects that Mustard goes soon then.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So would I, but in recent times we've been intent on chasing no matter what given what occurred against Australia last season. As I said before though, England should make 300 considering the conditions and no matter what your line up or past ability to chase big scores, it'll take some getting if the England do make a large total.
Welllll, not neccessarily. If we bowl as poorly as we're well capable of doing and Ryder and McCullum get going again, it could be over in 40 if we "only" set 300.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
So don't debate.
Err, I will debate with whoever I wish. There is no point in getting into a meaningless debate with you though when you sit on your high horse and think things in black and white though, and thus, I cease to debate with you on the given topic.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also it's great that it's a 10pm start BST, can finally watch some cricket for a good 3/4 hours. :)
What's annoying is when, later in the tour, after the First Test has started at that time, the start time goes back and back as the clocks go back and forwards in the respective countries.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Welllll, not neccessarily. If we bowl as poorly as we're well capable of doing and Ryder and McCullum get going again, it could be over in 40 if we "only" set 300.
Haha, as wonderful as it would be, I'm not so sure even we could chase 300 in 40 overs. Broad, Anderson and Sidebottom seemed to be adjusting better in Auckland so I wouldn't bet on a repeat of Hamilton.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err, I will debate with whoever I wish. There is no point in getting into a meaningless debate with you though when you sit on your high horse and think things in black and white though, and thus, I cease to debate with you on the given topic.
Exactly what I was saying. But I wasn't sitting on any high horses at all, however it may have seemed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, as wonderful as it would be, I'm not so sure even we could chase 300 in 40 overs. Broad, Anderson and Sidebottom seemed to be adjusting better in Auckland so I wouldn't bet on a repeat of Hamilton.
Nope, nor would I, but past experience has taught me never to believe Anderson and Broad (never mind the rest) are incapable of wild inaccuracies at any given time.

And as I said in the last game, NZC's choice of music is certainly far, far more wide-ranging than that anywhere else. In recent overs we've had Joe Jackson, The Police and someone else I can't remember.

And the first bowling change of the day as Oram comes on.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mustard looking in fairly good nick here. Still gonna get out for under 35 tho.

Bit of a ringer for a slimmer Anthony McGrath with his helmet on, or is it just me?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Nope, nor would I, but past experience has taught me never to believe Anderson and Broad (never mind the rest) are incapable of wild inaccuracies at any given time.

And as I said in the last game, NZC's choice of music is certainly far, far more wide-ranging than that anywhere else. In recent overs we've had Joe Jackson, The Police and someone else I can't remember.

And the first bowling change of the day as Oram comes on.
Just speaking of choice of music, thought it was a bit ironic that after Sidebottom had completed his spell at Auckland the song with the lyrics "Get a haircut..and get a real job" was played.

Mustard looking to dominate with the remaining power play overs I feel.