• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mustard

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cos....for whatever reason (the odd grip had a lot to do with it, I'm sure) none of the shots he played ever looked quite right...he had an unusual swing of the bat and his shots had a strange "shape" to them as it were.......much like Mustard, I assume- I've only seen a little bit of him, but when I saw the high grip and the loose-limbed slashes at the ball, Gilchrist sprung to mind immediately.
Couldn't disagree more, but we'll keep it at that.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Who gives a fat rat's arse in the end how the batsman looks as long as he scores runs, which Gilly has done.

Of course, I would rather they looked like David Gower or Stephen Fleming when scoring runs, but it is not the be all and end all.

However, when you look ugly and hardly score any runs, that's when it's just laughable:laugh: Get out of here you old hag!

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah, but you've said the same thing about Tendulkar, which is a crime against cricket. You're not entitled to an opinion on this subject :ph34r:
Some people don't like watching Sachin bat, though. I personally never found Mark Waugh that pleasing to watch.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
It was a joke. Though I can't fathom how anyone wouldn't enjoy watching Tendulkar bat.
It's not to say I don't enjoy seeing him do well and making runs, I enjoy every moment I watch him bat because I know he won't be there much longer, and I appreciate what he's done in cricket. I just don't like watching him stylistically. This is especially so in ODI cricket, less so in tests. His legside play is excellent to watch and I enjoy seeing him use his wrists, but his offside play just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's to do with his small stature and gigantic bat.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I and dontcloseyoureyes had a brief discussion of it on the boards a while back. His reasoning for his dislike of Sachin's offside play (bat size) was perfectly justified, just unusual.

Must ask though dcye, do you enjoy his shots through the V? For example, those two straight drives he played off Lee in the MCG ODI? I almost had to change my underwear when he played those on Sunday due to how gorgeous they were. And I was at the ground so it would have been difficult to get a spare pair.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Cos....for whatever reason (the odd grip had a lot to do with it, I'm sure) none of the shots he played ever looked quite right...he had an unusual swing of the bat and his shots had a strange "shape" to them as it were.......much like Mustard, I assume- I've only seen a little bit of him, but when I saw the high grip and the loose-limbed slashes at the ball, Gilchrist sprung to mind immediately.
Agree with pretty much all of that, the high-grip and stiff wrists gave Gilchrist an awkward look about him. Certainly very effective with the extra power it gave him and the regularity with which he took bowers on made him great to watch. But yeah Gilchrist certainly neve the most elegant.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Must ask though dcye, do you enjoy his shots through the V? For example, those two straight drives he played off Lee in the MCG ODI? I almost had to change my underwear when he played those on Sunday due to how gorgeous they were. And I was at the ground so it would have been difficult to get a spare pair.
Haha, it's interesting. Both of the drives he played were played with pretty much no footwork, just saw it and swung through the ball. I enjoy them, surprisingly. My favourite Tendulkar shot is actually his on drive, so I enjoyed the second one more, despite it almost just being an extended block for 4.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know it's a personal opinion, but how on earth do you come to that conclusion?
AWTA (extraordinarily enough). Gilchrist's the very anthesis of stylish for mine, good as he was. Hundreds of batsmen I'd rather watch.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think anyone who enjoyed Gilchrist would ever suggest he's stylish though.

I love watching stylish batsman bat, but I too enjoy a Gilchrist or Gayle innings too.

Variety is always great :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think anyone who enjoyed Gilchrist would ever suggest he's stylish though.

I love watching stylish batsman bat, but I too enjoy a Gilchrist or Gayle innings too.

Variety is always great :)
Meh, variety may be great, but I never particularly enjoy watching batsmen because of the pace they score at, especially if that pace comes at the expense of style.

Style over speed in terms of aesthetics for me, every single time.

And substance over speed in terms of results, too, of course.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If you could pay Sangakkara and Watto to bat together all day I'd die a happy man.
I do love watching both of those bat. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of Watto the person, but I remember one innings he played vs. NZ during the Chappell-Hadlee series there in 06/07. He opened, and played some absolutely gorgeous drives.

If I were to have a batting order of current players who I love watching bat it'd be something like this:

Tendulkar
Gibbs (loose technique, but I always love watching him)
Vaughan
Sangakkara
Kallis
Laxman
Yuvraj

I do enjoy watching Pietersen, Watson and Sarwan too. So whilst there's a bit of a similar style, there is an obvious difference between a Yuvraj, a Laxman and a Vaughan.

Overall though, a Sanga and Tendulkar partnership would be my ideal viewing.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Meh, variety may be great, but I never particularly enjoy watching batsmen because of the pace they score at, especially if that pace comes at the expense of style.

Style over speed in terms of aesthetics for me, every single time.

And substance over speed in terms of results, too, of course.
Its not about pace, its about a different way of scoring runs.

I don't enjoy a Gayle back away and cut as much as a Tendulkar on-drive or Sangakkara cover drive, but I still enjoy it.

Gayle doesn't score THAT quickly in ODIs anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I do love watching both of those bat. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of Watto the person, but I remember one innings he played vs. NZ during the Chappell-Hadlee series there in 06/07. He opened, and played some absolutely gorgeous drives.

If I were to have a batting order of current players who I love watching bat it'd be something like this:

Tendulkar
Gibbs
Vaughan
Sangakkara
Kallis
Laxman
Yuvraj

I do enjoy watching Pietersen, Watson and Sarwan too.

Overall though, a Sanga and Tendulkar partnership would be my ideal viewing.
Pietersen? :blink: He's good from the novelty POV I suppose, in that his style is almost un-aped, but I've rarely seen a more "manufactured" sort of batsman. Nothing looks natural at all.

Would agree with most of your list BTW, except Yuvraj Singh. Bit out of place, for mine.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha, I love that you used the term 'out of place' to describe Yuvraj, because that's exactly the point really.

Its all subjective of course, but I love seeing all those batsmen, and they're fairly different. Not to the extent of a Dravid vs. Gilchrist comparison, but as I stated above, I enjoy different styles.

A Pietersen straight drive (a few he played vs. NZ) are awesome to watch IMO, and Yuvraj's back foot punches are sweet too.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah I find Gilchrist a horrible batsman to watch, in fact one of the worst.. But that makes no difference when you look at the scorecard, unfortunatly..

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I find Gilchrist a horrible batsman to watch, in fact one of the worst.. But that makes no difference when you look at the scorecard, unfortunatly..

They should make batting like Diving or Gymnastics where you give out scores.

Get each batsmen to face 30 balls and score the best 10 shots on technique, timing etc, that'd be gun.

The downside (for me) is Australia wouldn't win.