• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbhajan reignites racism storm

pasag

RTDAS
NY Yankees vice president quits over 'monkey' slur

Aug 15, 1994

New York Yankees Vice President of Community Relations Richard Kraft recently resigned on the heels of comments he allegedly made in which he likened the minority population who play at a park near Yankee Stadium to monkeys.

Kraft resigned one week after New York magazine, in its July 25th issue, ran an article in which Kraft allegedly said some of the basketball players at Macombs Dam Park were like "monkeys."

"It's like monkeys. Those guys can all go up and hang on the rim and crack the rim and bend the hoops... It's a disappointment. Why did they do this to us?" Kraft was quoted as saying.

In a brief press statement released by the Yankees, Kraft said the controversy had placed an unnecessary burden on his health and he decided to resign.

The Rev. Al Sharpton, currently a candidate for the U.S. Senate from the state of New York, had led about 150 protesters outside of Yankee Stadium chanting, "We're not monkeys," shortly after the article was published. Sharpton said Kraft's resignation was a temporary victory."

Sharpton added, "Kraft's resignation has only solved the symptom, not the problem. We will continue to push for more employment and promotions of African Americans in the front office."

---------

Seems the African Americans there certainly thought it to be a racial slur. Or perhaps they don't have a say in these things either?

Flem274*

123/5
They don't. But when the Aussies reported Harbhajan, they should have said that what he said to Symonds sounded a bit like "monkey" but could have been something in his native language. As far as I know, it was reported as a "monkey" slur, and the suspect was handed the ban.
OK

pasag

RTDAS
Race Relations on Campus; Anonymous
The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education 04-01-2007

* A group of black students was studying late at night in a dormitory at Ohio State University. They asked a group of white males in an adjoining room to turn down the music they were playing. The white students turned up the volume rather than complying with the black students' request. A confrontation occurred and the white students called the black students "niggers." Later that night the black students found Post-It notes on their dormitory doors. Among the comments on the notes were "Cotton gin niggers," "Niggers are farm equipment," "Mexicans are better than niggers," and "You are all monkeys." (The Lantern, 2-7-07)

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
No, that article indicates that it is all part of the racial slurs evident in the workplace and the minority involved was very much offended by it. Similar to Gibbs calling Pakistani's animals and all sorts of history that equates certain people to animals, sub-human. Something that goes past skin colour as well (see pigs).

You can try and discredit anything that is brought here as much as you like, the databases, articles with silly little comments but most would see right through that. Anyways, continuing on.
Give me a break, your link on the list of racial slurs has the following as racist Slurs and we are still just on 'A'
Regardless of the various explanations do you really think that anyone would take such a list seriously.
ABC
ABCD
Abe Lincoln
African
Afro
Agent Orange
Ahab
Aibu
Ainu
Akata
Aladdin
Albino
Alcoholic
Alphabet
Ame-koh
American't
Amerikos
AMF
Ami
Amigo
Anchor Baby
Ancient Chinese Secret
Angie
Anglo
Angus
Ant
Antique Farm Equipment
Ape
Apna
Apple
Ararat
Arf
Arm Pits
Armo
Aryan
Ashy
Atta
Azn

And unless Gibbs said 'Pakistani bunch of animals', just bunch of animals is not racist either. Its just a derogatory slur.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Give me a break, your link on the list of racial slurs has the following as racist Slurs and we are still just on 'A'
Regardless of the various explanations do you really think that anyone would take such a list seriously.
ABC
ABCD
Abe Lincoln
African
Afro
Agent Orange
Ahab
Aibu
Ainu
Akata
Aladdin
Albino
Alcoholic
Alphabet
Ame-koh
American't
Amerikos
AMF
Ami
Amigo
Anchor Baby
Ancient Chinese Secret
Angie
Anglo
Angus
Ant
Antique Farm Equipment
Ape
Apna
Apple
Ararat
Arf
Arm Pits
Armo
Aryan
Ashy
Atta
Azn

And unless Gibbs said 'Pakistani bunch of animals', just bunch of animals is not racist either. Its just a derogatory slur.
Again, would you like me to keep listing articles, because I can go on. However I think I've made my point and I have been advised to stop on MSN, from someones opinion I greatly respect, for fear of going way over the top here.

Flem274*

123/5
ABC
ABCD
Abe Lincoln
African
Afro
Agent Orange
Ahab
Aibu
Ainu
Akata
Aladdin
AlbinoAlcoholic
Alphabet
Ame-koh
American't
Amerikos
AMF
Ami
Amigo
Anchor Baby
Ancient Chinese Secret
Angie
Anglo
Angus
Ant
Antique Farm Equipment
Ape
Apna
Apple
Ararat
Arf
Arm Pits
Armo
Aryan
Ashy
Atta
Azn

Don't remember Pasag mentioning even half of those.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Race Relations on Campus; Anonymous
The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education 04-01-2007

* A group of black students was studying late at night in a dormitory at Ohio State University. They asked a group of white males in an adjoining room to turn down the music they were playing. The white students turned up the volume rather than complying with the black students' request. A confrontation occurred and the white students called the black students "niggers." Later that night the black students found Post-It notes on their dormitory doors. Among the comments on the notes were "Cotton gin niggers," "Niggers are farm equipment," "Mexicans are better than niggers," and "You are all monkeys." (The Lantern, 2-7-07)
After the word '******' was used would it really matter what else was said along with it??
Even if you say 'God' after the word '******' it does not undo the racial slur.

But lets say the altercation happened slightly differently. Lets say that they traded a whole lot of non racial abuses like MF etc etc and one of the abuses was ' big monkey'. Would that make it a racial abuse??

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
After the word '******' was used would it really matter what else was said along with it??

But lets say the altercation happened slightly differently. Lets say that they traded a whole lot of non racial abuses like MF etc etc and one of the abuses was ' big monkey'. Would that make it a racial abuse??
FFS, you still here?

The comments by the judge today re. what Symonds said about a test match not being a place to be friendly were pretty spot on imo.

Symonds should have said "A test match is not a place to be friendly to Harbhajan, nor is anywhere else for that matter", and it probably would have been all right.

The judge appeared to have had major dental work, or was that a Kiwi accent?

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Again, would you like me to keep listing articles, because I can go on. However I think I've made my point and I have been advised to stop on MSN, from someones opinion I greatly respect, for fear of going way over the top here.
Don't worry, I wont be going over or under any tops.

Burgey

ABC
ABCD
Abe Lincoln
African
Afro
Agent Orange
Ahab
Aibu
Ainu
Akata
Aladdin
Albino
Alcoholic
Alphabet
Ame-koh
American't
Amerikos
AMF
Ami
Amigo
Anchor Baby
Ancient Chinese Secret
Angie
Anglo
Angus
Ant
Antique Farm Equipment
Ape
Apna
Apple
Ararat
Arf
Arm Pits
Armo
Aryan
Ashy
Atta
Azn

Abe Lincoln - means something far different in other circles, ittbt :ph34r:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yes. Monkey is very much a racial slur. I can't believe any one can argue that it isn't. It has been a huge deal in Spanish football games when crowds have made monkey noises. After Australia's tour of India recently, no player can feign ignorance that they didn't know it was a racial slur either.

I don't know what Harbhajan Singh said but arguing that the word monkey isn't racial slur is a bit stupid.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Abe Lincoln - means something far different in other circles, ittbt :ph34r:
For heavens sakes. I don't care what anyone thinks. Abe Lincoln was one of the greatest American presidents. How the bloody hell can it mean a bad thing??
In that case I am sure that anything can be proven as insulting in some culture or the other.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Yes. Monkey is very much a racial slur. I can't believe any one can argue that it isn't. It has been a huge deal in Spanish football games when crowds have made monkey noises. After Australia's tour of India recently, no player can feign ignorance that they didn't know it was a racial slur either.

I don't know what Harbhajan Singh said but arguing that the word monkey isn't racial slur is a bit stupid.
I know its in the list of racial slurs............I am arguing whether it should be there in the first place.

Burgey

And Tendulkar says he did not hear the slur being used. So you you have the word of 2 Aussies against 2 Indians.

So if a 5 year old uses the word '******' to describe a coloured classmate its all innocent babytalk, Is it? and he should not be corrected?

Please read this even slower.......there is no way in hell a non-coloured view on racism as valid as a coloured persons because 99% of racism is directed from a non-coloured person to a coloured person. When that percentage reaches anywhere near 50-50 please feel free to give your opinion. Till then despite all your good intentions you have no clue as to what racism is.

Usage of the word 'coolie' is related to the fact that Indians were used as coolies during the colonial days in South Africa, but humans were never monkeys and did not even evolve from monkeys but from apes. (FYI in India coolies still exist and you as a white man may even call a registered coolie a 'coolie'.)

I am not bothered with the outcome of the case. If a deal was made then CA are indeed spineless.

I don't speak for the Indian supporters or the Indian team. This is just my opinion on the subject of racism and the usage of the word 'monkey'.
Having said that, Pandora's box has been opened, and it has not been a subcontinent team that did it. You will now see a whole list of stupid words being added as objectionable to a person's race. Who knows you may even be even bounced off this forum if you use one of those words in the future. :laugh:

I have ALWAYS maintained that there is no place for ANY sledging in any sport. Its just uncultured, uncouth, uncivilized, boorish behaviour.
Of course you correct a 5 year old, but do you mean to tell me that if a grown man called another man a ****** on the sporting field that he should just be "corrected"?

What a vapid sop, that one person's colour determines whether their view on racism carries more weight than another's. Is that the kind of chip which Indian supporters carry around on their shoulders, or is it exclusive to your good self? Be like me saying your views on cricket as an Indian supporter ought not be given the gravitas of an Australian's until India's record against Australia gets to about 50-50 in their test match clashes.

I'll back myself not to get bounced off the forum mate, but that's a matter for others and not me. So long as whatever word is used is okay for Indians, that'll be fine by you. BTW, still haven't responded to the bastard word, have you?

Last edited:

Burgey

For heavens sakes. I don't care what anyone thinks. Abe Lincoln was one of the greatest American presidents. How the bloody hell can it mean a bad thing??
In that case I am sure that anything can be proven as insulting in some culture or the other.
Abe Lincoln in the context I'm thinking of aint a bad thing for people who are into that sort of thing. But it's a family forum, even maybe a family of monkeys.

Burgey

It is not just my perception that coloured people bear the brunt of racial abuse, its a fact. It is an outright insult if you deny them that fact. Its you my dear friend who is walking a thin line. That is almost like saying there was no holocaust. Please correct yourself.

Without quoting dictionaries.........here is the lay of the land.........unless you are a coloured person please do not dare go knocking their doors to tell them what racism is. You will be shown the boot.
Sorry to keep quoting this fella, but the hits really do keep on coming....

Yeah, Andrew Symonds big, black size 13 boot. He's black mate - ffs, buy a ****ing colour tv!!!

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I know its in the list of racial slurs............I am arguing whether it should be there in the first place.
This was debated in the sporting world when the NBA banned 'monkey' being used by crowds a bit back as well.

Monkey is very much racist. It has connotations that the black person hasn't evolved as much as the white person and is inferior.

pasag

RTDAS

Sorry, this is getting embarrassing, in that article, as you can see from the headline, it is a list of incidents of racial vilification incidents against African Americans on campus, as exposed in an African American publication. Now you have the cheek to say that everything there is racist besides Monkey despite them listing it as an example in an article on racism?