• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbhajan reignites racism storm

biased indian

International Coach
[16] At about this time Mr Michael Clarke was slowly crossing the pitch from cover to cover. His evidence was that he heard Mr Singh call Mr symonds a big monkey. He was cross examined by Mr Manohar, counsel for the appellant, as to what he stated in the hearing before Mr Procter. There it was recorded that he stated he heard "something like big monkey". However, his evidence to me was not that this was the use of something similar to "big monkey". Rather he maintained that what he told Mr Procter was that he heard things being said that he did not hear or comprehend which he referred to as "something something something" but then he heard the words "big monkey".
intresting :blink:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Instead of quoting names of journals why not post the actual link or the text??
Ask yourself why that's just about the silliest question imaginable.

Clue: When was the last time you paid for a journal subscription?

pasag

RTDAS
God you're awful. That statement is, believe it or not, discrimmination.
Honestly, it's the most dire reasoning and I'm very thankful nearly all Indian (and Indian supporter) senior members here (and nearly all of the new ones as well) have not employed this ill conceived rubbish notion, one that really does beggar belief.

Flem274*

123/5
Honestly, it's the most dire reasoning and I'm very thankful nearly all Indian (and Indian supporter) senior members here (and nearly all of the new ones as well) have not employed this ill conceived rubbish notion, one that really does beggar belief.
Its pretty obvious something is very wrong when we're agreeing with each other eh Pasag?:p

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
I'm in the process of looking through the uni's journal databases for more detail on this.

But the first two google hits on 'list of ethnic slurs'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs#M
http://www.rsdb.org/

Both have Monkey and various different forms of it. Really it's pretty common knowledge though and only the most bias person blind-sighted by apologist racist crap would try and weasel there way out of it and continue defending it.
The Wikipedia link on Monkey is about a UK article was about black kids being cast as monkeys in a school play and whites referring to SouthEast Asians.

As regards the Racial Slur Database.............you might as well throw in the entire book of insults as well as almost anything under the sun is in the list. Going by that list probably half of this forum needs to be banned..............this is really a world gone mad.......even to say Abe Lincoln is a racial slur?????

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Good place to start.
Now, why don't you rationalise the Indian perception of 'bastard' to us? Or is your sphincter all tired out?
I have never claimed 'bastard' to be a racial slur. What post have you been reading. Or did you just assume that I am an India supporter?

And as regards the sphincter comment..........tsk tsk.........real mature language.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Social Issues : RACISM IN THE WORKPLACE; By Aaron Bernstein

Business Week 07-30-2001

"In an increasingly multicultural U.S., harassment of minorities is on the rise..."

"A manager there racially harassed minorities ``on a daily basis'' after he took over in August, 1999, the suit says. The manager twice put a noose over James's door, it says. Once, says the complaint, the manager told an employee to "order monkey meat or whatever they eat'' for James."

"But many experts say they are seeing a disturbing increase in incidents of harassment. Minority workers endure the oldest racial slurs in the book. They're asked if they eat "monkey meat,'' denigrated as inferior to whites, or find ``KKK'' and other intimidating graffiti on the walls at work."

---------

I will keep going, obviously as T_C indiacted I can't provide links just extracts and if any articles indicate something contrary to what's being argued I will quote them as well.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I have never claimed 'bastard' to be a racial slur. What post have you been reading. Or did you just assume that I am an India supporter?

And as regards the sphincter comment..........tsk tsk.........real mature language.
I never insinuated it to be a racial slur. What is curious is that you and Cevno (albeit him more than you) have attempted to draw parallels between 'bastard' and 'monkey' as the Australian equivalent to cultural insensitivity. Care to elaborate?

I'll employ the Harbhajan defense for the scatological remarks: "Yeah, well you started it."

Last edited:

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Social Issues : RACISM IN THE WORKPLACE; By Aaron Bernstein
In all honesty to say that someone eats monkey meat is not the same as calling them a 'monkey' is it?
what about the term monkeying around? Is that racist too??
what about don't behave like a monkey?

I think you are missing the point. Unless you use a prefix with the word monkey, it really is just a stupid abuse.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
I never insinuated it to be a racial slur. What is curious is that you and Cevno (albeit him more than you) have attempted to draw parallels between 'bastard' and 'monkey' as the Australian equivalent to cultural insensitivity. Care to elaborate?

I'll employ the Harbhajan defense for the scatological remarks: "Yeah, well you started it."
I don't know Cevno...........and have not bothered to read what all he has said......Can you direct your remarks to the correct person please?

If you wish to use the Harbhajan defense then be prepared to be painted by the same brush.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
In all honesty to say that someone eats monkey meat is not the same as calling them a 'monkey' is it?
what about the term monkeying around? Is that racist too??
what about don't behave like a monkey?

I think you are missing the point. Unless you use a prefix with the word monkey, it really is just a stupid abuse.
No, that article indicates that it is all part of the racial slurs evident in the workplace and the minority involved was very much offended by it. Similar to Gibbs calling Pakistani's animals and all sorts of history that equates certain people to animals, sub-human. Something that goes past skin colour as well (see pigs).

You can try and discredit anything that is brought here as much as you like, the databases, articles with silly little comments but most would see right through that. Anyways, continuing on.

Sudeep

International Captain
I thought Symonds said he's not sure Harbhajan said "monkey". Tendulkar confirmed that he heard it as "teri maa ki", which is still an abuse, but by no means a racist one.

Flem274*

123/5
Haha, besides your neo-conservatism and tendency to list NZ XI's at will, you're alright kid :p
Our country is so full of wuvly widdle wefties I just had to be different.:p

Early exposure to grumpy farmers and Jeremy Clarkson probably contributed as well...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
If there was one Indian cricketer who could have said this, it was Harbhajan. I have no doubt in my mind that he made the racist remark. But there wasn't enough evidence to charge him and punish him so basically he gets away with it. I really feel sorry for Symonds because not only he was the victim of Racial abuse but now he is indirectly assumed(at least by some cricket fans) to be a liar.

As for BCCI, they continue to prove how dysfunctional they really are and not really surprise at Sharad Pawar's ways or running things . I personally believe that Harbhajan was let go because of the lack of evidence, but the way they(BCCI) handled the whole issue in last couple of days, it appears that He escaped the ban because of BCCI's threat. I dont blame Aussie fans/players or or for that matter Cricket fans in other parts of the world feeling that way.

BCCI has been showing too much muscle power, first Bucknor's sacking, then Bond's NZ contract termination and now Harbhajan Let off, all within one month. Also I am disgusted at CA for their complete submission to their LORDs at BCCI.It is really sad state of affiars and I as a cricket fan am disgusted and very angry.
Good gracious. I never thought the day would come, but I agree with every single word of a post by Sanz!

Sudeep

International Captain
How did the Aussies know what that meant?:blink:
They don't. But when the Aussies reported Harbhajan, they should have said that what he said to Symonds sounded a bit like "monkey" but could have been something in his native language. As far as I know, it was reported as a "monkey" slur, and the suspect was handed the ban.