• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbhajan reignites racism storm

Stu274

Cricket Spectator
Yeah seems to me the old backyard kids adage of "Im gunna take my bat & ball & go home if you dont comply" has worked well for the Indians.
Personally I couldnt have cared less if they went home early they were in the wrong.
I have nothing against good hard fair play but Harbajhan needs to grow up & learn that there is a line that shouldnt be crossed when it comes to racism.
I truley hope he learns & has a long & fruitful career but if not then he should be banned from all sport if he keeps carrying on like a schoolkid.

Whats the odds on the crowd doing it again next tour of India eh? Pretty damn good I recon, especially now this message has been sent that its ok to be racist, just not against Indians.

Apparently you can say what you like if you have a big fat wallet to back you up. The ICC has buckled to the power of the BCCI, it's a simple as that. It is rediculous that Singh could say he did racially abuse Symonds, he just abused him. Right, abuse is what Singh did against England we he refused to walk after getting clean bowled and he gave the English players the big F_You. What he said to Symonds was racially motivated and for the charge to be reduced looks to me like the BCCI wielded there power and influence and the ICC crumbed like little lap dogs.

pasag

RTDAS
Not sure which world YOU are in. I am visiting India and can assure you he is no Jardine.
In the entire bodyline episode Jardine was percieved as the wrong and not wronged as Indians see Harbhajan. He has their full support and I am here to witness it daily when I speak to people that I work and interact with while you seem to speculate about the BCCI sitting wherever you are. And like I have been saying, if he gets dropped it will be purely because of form and not behavior.
And Jardine had full support of the English public (and some of the Australian one, just like here) as well and the board in the open, you can read all the stuff in the media there supporting Harby as you want but a loose cannon with limited potential wont be seen as favourably in the future when all this dies down. It's common sense really, defend the guy now, deal with him yourself later. I don't think it's that complicated really.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting, from that transcript it looks to me like he did call Symonds a monkey given that he didn't deny it. That said, it would be dangerous ground banning him for 3 matches on that alone. The outcome is probably the best that could've been hoped for after the apparent threats to quit/leave etc. as Harby leaves with even less credit imo.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Yep, happens there too

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/story/324806.html

I actually found India's hypocrisy on the issue as annoying as anything
The Indian team would have been hypocrites if they had complained, so far the only people complaining are the Aussies. The Indians maintain that what is said on the pitch remains on the pitch. Never have the Indians claimed that they are as good as gold. They have just said that they are not as bad as the Aussies when it comes to sledging.

social

The Indian team would have been hypocrites if they had complained, so far the only people complaining are the Aussies. The Indians maintain that what is said on the pitch remains on the pitch. Never have the Indians claimed that they are as good as gold. They have just said that they are not as bad as the Aussies when it comes to sledging.
Good grief, they whinged from the moment they got off the ground.

"Spirit of the Game" ring any bells?

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
And Jardine had full support of the English public (and some of the Australian one, just like here) as well and the board in the open, you can read all the stuff in the media there supporting Harby as you want but a loose cannon with limited potential wont be seen as favourably in the future when all this dies down. It's common sense really, defend the guy now, deal with him yourself later. I don't think it's that complicated really.
The Indian team and the BCCI dont see him as a loose canon, impulsive-yes, liability-no.

social

Aaaaah, "spirit of the game" ring any bells.

A couple of players and one official in particular have whinged their way from one end of Australia to the other

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Good grief, they whinged from the moment they got off the ground.

"Spirit of the Game" ring any bells?
The Spirit of the game comment was about the appeals and claimed catches despite the agreement that Ponting had with Kumble at the beginning of the series about taking the fielders word about the catches. What game were you watching??

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Aaaaah, "spirit of the game" ring any bells.

A couple of players and one official in particular have whinged their way from one end of Australia to the other
Its really funny that Kumble speaking about the Spirit of the Game post Sydney is seen by you as whinging from one end of Australia to another. Could you quote anything else that was said and you count as a whinge?? So by the same book were the Aussies whinging when the same words were used previously in the Bodyline series??

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
since its all right for harbijan to call symonds a monkey does that mean its all right for one of the other australians to call some of the indians a few words ? IMO it would not be all right at all but you have to be consistant.

masterblaster

International Captain
since its all right for harbijan to call symonds a monkey does that mean its all right for one of the other australians to call some of the indians a few words ? IMO it would not be all right at all but you have to be consistant.
What a ridiculous sentiment. Never is it okay to verbally abuse your opponents. I'm not one for sledging and Harbhajan clearly is a loose cannon in this side. As the great quote goes, 'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind'.

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
What a ridiculous sentiment. Never is it okay to verbally abuse your opponents. I'm not one for sledging and Harbhajan clearly is a loose cannon in this side. As the great quote goes, 'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind'.

ok ,is it alright for one of the aussies other than symonds to call harbijan a few names ?

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
According to me there is no place for any kind of sledging in cricket or any other game as it does not give a good example for kids or fans.

But to answer your question, since when have the Aussies been shy of using foul language EVER??
If you are referring to using racial abuses then who gets to decide what constitutes racial abuse? A coloured team or a non-coloured team? And who decides what is worse racial abuse or abuse directed at your family? In the Harbhajan case opinion was split on whether the word monkey was racial in the first place( even Michael Holding said that 'monkey' is not racial), so forget about the complete absence of evidence that he even said it.

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
im totaly against racism aswell but surly you cant have diffrent rules for diffrent sides, i dont think it would go down too well if some of the aussies called some of the indians a certain few names

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
According to me there is no place for any kind of sledging in cricket or any other game as it does not give a good example for kids or fans.

But to answer your question, since when have the Aussies been shy of using foul language EVER??
If you are referring to using racial abuses then who gets to decide what constitutes racial abuse? A coloured team or a non-coloured team? And who decides what is worse racial abuse or abuse directed at your family? In the Harbhajan case opinion was split on whether the word monkey was racial in the first place( even Michael Holding said that 'monkey' is not racial), so forget about the complete absence of evidence that he even said it.
why did he call symonds a monkey ?

you also have to remember that he had already been told not to use that word, there is a clear cut line about what is racist.

masterblaster

International Captain
im totaly against racism aswell but surly you cant have diffrent rules for diffrent sides, i dont think it would go down too well if some of the aussies called some of the indians a certain few names
They've called the Indian's plenty of expletives in the past let me tell you. I've talked to many of the Indian players on numerous occassions they've come here in Australia and they all respect Australia for their cricket but always say they get a lot of verbal abuse from them.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Don't flame bait please.

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
Seriously how old are you mate? Grow up, form some mature opinions based on rational thought and then think about posting. Troll personified.

All i want is consitancy, i bet you anything that iff lets say ponting said something racist to an indian it wouldnt go down to well