• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbhajan reignites racism storm

biased indian

International Coach
In your face is ok as long as it's not racism and he can back it up with his own performances

That's where Harby and his supporters have got it wrong
so wht you are sayin if its laxman tednulkar or kumble....its ok......???
Na...... as far as i am considerd it has no place in sport..

but is one person in a team can say any body else can say..there is nothing related to their performance and the way they behave on field

pup11

International Coach

but is one person in a team can say any body else can say..there is nothing related to their performance and the way they behave on field
But people like Laxman and Tendulkar would never do such a thing because they are not dickheads like Harbhajan!

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
I am looking from the situation as a human being. Defence of ones self is part of being a human. If you haven't done something you're accused of doing, all humans will naturally defend themselves. Whether it be verbally or physically...

Guilty without evidence? There is plenty of bloody evidence! Do you need a video of someone being murdered to convict them or something?
You can defend yourself if its clear what you need to defend yourself from and even then unless you are intimately familiar with the psychology of a person you cannot pretend to predict what his moves would or should be. Your attempts are at best guesses and not evidence of any nature.

You may jump up and down as much as you like but this case is about hearsay and legally without any concrete evidence Harbhajan is not guilty.

Dusty Lee

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Apparently you can say what you like if you have a big fat wallet to back you up. The ICC has buckled to the power of the BCCI, it's a simple as that. It is rediculous that Singh could say he did racially abuse Symonds, he just abused him. Right, abuse is what Singh did against England we he refused to walk after getting clean bowled and he gave the English players the big F_You. What he said to Symonds was racially motivated and for the charge to be reduced looks to me like the BCCI wielded there power and influence and the ICC crumbed like little lap dogs.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I have no problem with sledging unless it goes too far, e.g. racism, and dont believe that it could be eradicated in any event. Like it or not, it is part of the culture of many sports including cricket

That being said, I also find sledging unnecessary (and its undoubtedly less effective) when delivered by a player struggling with his own performance. Take Sreesanth in England as an example, the only things he achieved was to make a fool of himself and the batsmen more comfortable in the knowledge that he wasnt concentrating on his own game

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
They might tolerate it up to a point, but I think when it causes one of the greatest cricketing controversies off all time, they might decide to let this livewire go. And with no performances of note to back it up, there's no reason to tolerate it either. In public he'll always be backed, in private he'll be slowly phased out, imo. As I said it's all conjecture on my part, but I can see it happening.
What do you mean no performance of note?? Bhajji scored fifties in Adelaide and Sydney, he dismissed Ponting quite a few times and he took at least 2 wickets in any innings, besides he is definitely in the ODI squad.
According to the Indians the Australian team were to blame for the controversy and they have given Bhajji the clean chit a long time back. If he gets dropped it will be because of his performance and definitely not because of monkeygate.

social

What do you mean no performance of note?? Bhajji scored fifties in Adelaide and Sydney, he dismissed Ponting quite a few times and he took at least 2 wickets in any innings, besides he is definitely in the ODI squad.
According to the Indians the Australian team were to blame for the controversy and they have given Bhajji the clean chit a long time back. If he gets dropped it will be because of his performance and definitely not because of monkeygate.
Test bowling average of 60 plus doesnt bode well for the immediate future

social

So what names can i call you? Can they be about your ***ual prefrence? How you look like a female organ? Your big ears?

What you might think is ok I might think goes too far
Then complain to the umpire and/or refuse to play until it stops

People soon get bored of it

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
In your face is ok as long as it's not racism and he can back it up with his own performances

That's where Harby and his supporters have got it wrong
Like I have said, to the Indian team & BCCI the very idea that non-coloured teams get to define racism, is unacceptable. The subcontinent teams have always thaught that what the foul language that the Aussie team uses on the pitch is far worse than anything harbhajan has been accused of saying. So as Gavaskar said, to millions of Indians what Bhajji did is OK.

Having said that Bhajji will only be supported if he performs, if not he will be dropped.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Test bowling average of 60 plus doesnt bode well for the immediate future
Never said that Harbhajan had a great series, but he did better than Hogg and contributed with the bat. He will play the ODIs, if he fails he will be dropped.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A whitewash or a fudge? I can't quite decide. Probably the latter, given Harbhajan's conviction of the lesser offence. Are we to infer that "monkey" is considered an abusive but not racist term from here on in?

CA's interjection on Harbhajan's behalf suggests the scrathching of backs, greasing of palms & twisting of nobs behind closed doors to me.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
A whitewash or a fudge? I can't quite decide. Probably the latter, given Harbhajan's conviction of the lesser offence. Are we to infer that "monkey" is considered an abusive but not racist term from here on in?

CA's interjection on Harbhajan's behalf suggests the scrathching of backs, greasing of palms & twisting of nobs behind closed doors to me.
Pretty much what I was going to say.

social

Like I have said, to the Indian team & BCCI the very idea that non-coloured teams get to define racism, is unacceptable. The subcontinent teams have always thaught that what the foul language that the Aussie team uses on the pitch is far worse than anything harbhajan has been accused of saying. So as Gavaskar said, to millions of Indians what Bhajji did is OK.

Having said that Bhajji will only be supported if he performs, if not he will be dropped.
If that's the case, then why do the Indians use foul language every bit as openly as the Australians?

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
If that's the case, then why do the Indians use foul language every bit as openly as the Australians?
Its the post-Azharuddin team that uses foul language. And only because they are subjected to it by other teams. Ever watch a match when they play other subcontinent teams?

pasag

RTDAS
Not sure what you were watching mate, besides having Ponting as his bunny he looked more or less ineffective for the whole series. He's there as a bowler not a batsman, Hogg also produced some extremely valuable runs, he still didn't have a great series. That coupled with causing problems will see him on the outside pretty soon imo. And yeah in public he has everyone full support, but as I said they'll wash their hands of him pretty soon when this dies down. Jardine was in alot stronger position then he ever was, having masterminded the Ashes return and is still a folk hero in some parts till today, but he was gotten rid of and so was Larwood. The parallels are telling, imo.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

Well said that man. Couldn't agree more.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Not sure what you were watching mate, besides having Ponting as his bunny he looked more or less ineffective for the whole series. He's there as a bowler not a batsman, Hogg also produced some extremely valuable runs, he still didn't have a great series. That coupled with causing problems will see him on the outside pretty soon imo. And yeah in public he has everyone full support, but as I said they'll wash their hands of him pretty soon when this dies down. Jardine was in alot stronger position then he ever was, having masterminded the Ashes return and is still a folk hero in some parts till today, but he was gotten rid of and so was Larwood. The parallels are telling, imo.
Not sure which world YOU are in. I am visiting India and can assure you he is no Jardine.
In the entire bodyline episode Jardine was percieved as the wrong and not wronged as Indians see Harbhajan. He has their full support and I am here to witness it daily when I speak to people that I work and interact with while you seem to speculate about the BCCI sitting wherever you are. And like I have been saying, if he gets dropped it will be purely because of form and not behavior.

Last edited: