• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Possibly but opening the batting with Pathan? It reminds me very much of what the Indian team did years ago when they opened with Manoj Prabhakar. He essentially held up and end and this puts pressure on the guys at the other end to score. Defensive move for mine.
But Pathan really can't and won't hold up an end, so its actually pretty aggressive. Obviously, they want him to stick around but he won't block over after over. He has opened before anyway.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And yes, I agree it might be burdensome, but going in with more bowlers and an aggressive lower order batsman is certainly not defensive in any way.

taitmachine

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Not dropping Clarke today? :cool:

IMO there will be at least 1 total of 500.
Well I did say his second innings at Perth was defining and if he failed he should be looking behind for the axe. However he batted well, yet still a little miffed at the manner of his dismissal - really would have like to see him grind out a ton even if he was batting with the tail.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Johnson bowls his one for the spell in the right spot, and away goes Pathan.
Clark for the new ball, imo.

Top_Cat

I am still puzzled as to why they persist in opening with Johnson.
I think you just found out why. ;)

So does this further the perception that Johnson preys on tail-order wickets or does it strengthen his case that he takes top-order wickets? I'm confused. :wacko:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm assuming Pathan will be opening the bowling for India as well as the batting. When was the last time someone did that in a test match?

taitmachine

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think you just found out why. ;)

So does this further the perception that Johnson preys on tail-order wickets or does it strengthen his case that he takes top-order wickets? I'm confused. :wacko:
Was waiting for that :laugh:

Still think Clark would be the more reliable option. Although perhaps the theory is Johnson will swing the new ball.

Top_Cat

Was waiting for that :laugh:

Still think Clark would be the more reliable option. Although perhaps the theory is Johnson will swing the new ball.
For the record, I agree with you. Your best two bowlers should share the new cherry and surely Clark is one of those.