• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh, and FWIW, Katich>>>>>>>>>>Rogers. Not even a contest between the two, just look at Katich's Pura Cup record. Speaks for itself.
Rogers is a better option as an opener in my opinion - I'd rather Rogers up top with Hussey in the middle order than Hussey opening with Katich in the middle order.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Especially as its just for one match. Not worth disrupting Hussey's rhythm when Hayden will be back the following match. Rogers was close to a call up at the start of the season, and is still the heir apparent when Hayden goes for good - might as well blood him here and see how he goes.

Craig

World Traveller
Especially as its just for one match. Not worth disrupting Hussey's rhythm when Hayden will be back the following match. Rogers was close to a call up at the start of the season, and is still the heir apparent when Hayden goes for good - might as well blood him here and see how he goes.
The physio said Hayden could miss up to five weeks LTIC?

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
LTIC? AAGMAMS, IMO

The last time I checked, he said either 5 weeks or else, could be right for Perth. Knowing Hayden's record, I think he'll play at Perth, but failing that, definitely in Adelaide.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
My response is pretty much what Bracken replied - I have no problem with Kumble trying to moderate the dispute, but I just think its bizarre on his part that he thought going to Ponting and suggesting that the incident be swept under the carpet in exchange for an apology that was clearly explained to be hollow, as in it was made while saying "I don't believe we have anything to apologise for", would achieve anything. The equivalent would be Ponting going to Kumble and suggesting that while Symonds thought it was the correct thing not to walk when he was out, and that he still thought this was true, that he was prepared to say "sorry" if the Indians were prepared to forget about their concerns re the umpiring and Australian's attitude. It was just a very naive or unrealistic effort at moderation.
Why should Kumble accept that Harbhajan is being racist when it might have been maa ki (your mother in hindi) and not monkey. Ponting hasn't helped matters by not talking with Kumble and not sorting what looks like might have been a misunderstanding. Read this by Mihir Bose.

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
Furthermore, I also think its unhelpful for Kumble to publicise this part of the episode, and claiming Ponting was being unreasonable in the process, when the focus of both captains should be on healing the rift and moving forward.
I hope the focus of Kumble, BCCI and the Indian team is on getting to the bottom of the racism allegation and resolving that.

Initially, I was ambivalent on whether Harbhajan was guilty or not. But after almost a week of no real evidence coming out, I am really begining to wonder if Harbhajan is the real victim here (and Sachin sticking his neck out is a big deal for mine).

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rogers is a better option as an opener in my opinion - I'd rather Rogers up top with Hussey in the middle order than Hussey opening with Katich in the middle order.
Well, TBH, my opinion is based on two things. One, that Katich would be better in the middle order and Hussey opening than Rogers opening and Hussey in the middle order. And two, that if he succeeds, Katich could push Symonds out of the Test side. Unrealistic, I know, but a man can hope. :p

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Why should Kumble accept that Harbhajan is being racist when it might have been maa ki (your mother in hindi) and not monkey. Ponting hasn't helped matters by not talking with Kumble and not sorting what looks like might have been a misunderstanding. Read this by Mihir Bose.
Not asking him to accept that Harbhajan is guilty, but just saying that it was naive to think that the Australian players, if they believe Bhajji is guilty, would be appeased by an such an insincere apology, that's all. I see no reason why Ponting should have agreed to sweep the matter under the carpet in that circumstance.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Given that India needs to win at Perth to try and draw the series, they should play 5 bowlers imo. Pathan batting at 7 isn't a bad option.

Sehwag
Dravid
Laxman
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Dhoni
Pathan
Kumble
Harbhajan
RP
Ishant

Pankaj Singh is the underdog for the test. Given that it is Perth and bowlers who hit the deck hard can be useful, Pankaj is definitely an option. However, we already have Ishant in the team who can hit the deck and is much better as a bowler right now. Irfan offers some thing different to the line up with the swing. He can bat too, not that that should be the deciding factor. Plus, he is more experienced than Pankaj which can be a big difference in a big match situation like Perth.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Hypocrisy may be thick in the air.....

The local Aussie papers are saying that the phrase used wasn't monkey but a swear phrase in Harbajhan's own language which means mother f......! I'll now wait for someone to run the line that calling someone a b.... is worse then mother f....! Cause I can't conceive that in any culture that could be the case.
Let me tell you as a Sri Lankan, what I find as absolute Hypocrisy....the Aussies getting away with blue murder swearing and foul mouthing at every other Country in the World and calling it as being "in the competitive spirit of the game" including McGrath calling Jayasuriya 'Black Monkey' (now the Aussies keep Denying it - as in this instance it has been denied ) and Darren Lehman calling Sri Lankans Black **nts and several other instances -when players at the receiving end never bothered to go and report it or make anything of it ... and because it was the aussies doing it not even Match referees made a fuss about it....

But now of all people an Indian Cricketer (himself a minority in his Country) is being alleged to have made a racist insult to an Australian of mixed ancestry and no-one is clear or there is no definite evidence to prove what he said...but the Match referee jumps up and penalises the player 3 matches and we all have to live with it.....That is the highest Hypocrisy I have ever come across as a Sri lankan ...believe me I am not lying...

Evermind

International Debutant
I hope people're aren't still pushing for retaining Yuvraj. They should send him home till the ODI series happens.

I'd drop Jaffer too, quite honestly. I don't think he's cut out to be a opener at this level. I'd play Karthik and Sehwag, and then instead of Harbhajan, Pathan. Pankaj Singh doesn't seem terribly impressive.

Sehwag
Karthik
Dravid
Laxman
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Dhoni
Pathan
Kumble
RP Singh
Ishant Sharma

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Let me tell you as a Sri Lankan, what I find as absolute Hypocrisy....the Aussies getting away with blue murder swearing and foul mouthing at every other Country in the World and calling it as being "in the competitive spirit of the game" including McGrath calling Jayasuriya 'Black Monkey' (now the Aussies keep Denying it - as in this instance it has been denied ) and Darren Lehman calling Sri Lankans Black **nts and several other instances -when players at the receiving end never bothered to go and report it or make anything of it ... and because it was the aussies doing it not even Match referees made a fuss about it....

But now of all people an Indian Cricketer (himself a minority in his Country) is being alleged to have made a racist insult to an Australian of mixed ancestry and no-one is clear or there is no definite evidence to prove what he said...but the Match referee jumps up and penalises the player 3 matches and we all have to live with it.....That is the highest Hypocrisy I have ever come across as a Sri lankan ...believe me I am not lying...
Lehmann admitted his guilt and took his punishment, given your ability to selectively remember what occurred why should I put any trust in any other facts in your post.

Australia has not been the best in the past but those subcontential supporters that claim that their players are without any wrong doing and are always in the right clearly have selective amnesia. BTW You may have missed it with your "oneeyedness" but Symonds is in relative terms much more a minority in Australia, then Harbajhan is in India.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Lehmann admitted his guilt and took his punishment, given your ability to selectively remember what occurred why should I put any trust in any other facts in your post.
That is what I mean...when I say Hypocrisy...Some are taken as facts depending on who said it and to whom...but others are not accepted as facts because of the person to whom it is made to is considered not as important or not from a country of clout like Australia...should be clear now...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Suffice to say that My Hypocrisy (if I have any) or my selectiveness (if it is that) is not as profound as yours ....on both counts....(as you started this discussion re Hypocrisy its apt to highlight that..)

So don't come here crying about hypocrisy...