• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matthew Hayden most centuries in a decade?

deira

Banned
In the last 7 years of this decade Matthew Hayden has scored 28 centuries. Is that the most anyone has scored in a decade?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A decade is 10 years, Ricky Pontings first test match was in 1996. Ricky Ponting has more test match centuries than Matthew Hayden, so no, that isn't the most centuries scored in a decade.

sideshowtim

Banned
A decade is 10 years, Ricky Pontings first test match was in 1996. Ricky Ponting has more test match centuries than Matthew Hayden, so no, that isn't the most centuries scored in a decade.
It's pretty obvious what he means.

And it would certainly be interesting to see...I'd say it would be close to a record as more cricket has been played this decade than any other.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Has to be a record IMO.

Only Tendulkar/Lara in the 1990s, Ponting in the 2000s, and Bradman in the 1930s would come close.

Perm

When we talk about decades, do we actually mean any old 10 years? Or do we mean 2000-2010?

Perm

I think he means 2000-2010.
Yeah, I guessed as much, but my comment was more a general thought than something specific to this thread.

Like when somebody says "It's been a good decade for sport", do they mean from 1997-2007? Or from 2000-2010?

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
1996 is twelve years ago, not ten. Hayden's only a been a regular for 7-ish years. It's quite possible that by the end of their careers, Hayden's best 10 years will have yielded more 100s than Ponting's.

Over his career, Hayden scores a century in 31% of his innings, compared with 29% for Ponting.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If we are talking about a proper decade, not just a 10 year period, Hayden would currently hold the record.

How many has Jacques Kallis got this decade? He'd be up there.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Kallis has 24, third behind Hayden (28) and Ponting (27) for the decade.

I daresay it will be 25 once he's finished cashing in again today though.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
More amazing when you consider that he'd gone about 17 tests (I think) not so long ago without a century.