• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matthew Hayden most centuries in a decade?

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Hayden averaged 25 for his first 13 tests. Once all the great bowlers vanished around 2001 he started to look good. I really think hes way overrated and just feasted on the average bowling of this decade. A terrible bowling decade.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hayden averaged 25 for his first 13 tests. Once all the great bowlers vanished around 2001 he started to look good. I really think hes way overrated and just feasted on the average bowling of this decade. A terrible bowling decade.
We've been through this mate, and plenty of people agree with you. Fact is, he's fronted up to what he was faced with and scored very heavily since he returned to the Test side. That does coincide with the decline of bowling standards, but Hayden was also a much better batsman than in his initial foray into Test cricket.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah, right. I always forget btw, was it a Dinosaur-style meteorite, or a I Am Legand-style mutant virus, that caused that particular mass extinction.

Lol at the argument about what the OP meant by decade. There's only two possible answers, and rather than arguing, its pretty simple to work out the answer for either. Its either in the most productive ten year period within Hayden's career or 2000-2009.

Johnners

1996 is twelve years ago, not ten. Hayden's only a been a regular for 7-ish years. It's quite possible that by the end of their careers, Hayden's best 10 years will have yielded more 100s than Ponting's.

Over his career, Hayden scores a century in 31% of his innings, compared with 29% for Ponting.
1996 is 12 years ago, but I think you'll find that from Jan 97, to Dec 06, Ponting has scored 33 centuries which is more than Haydens 28 (Ponting hasn't scored 1 sinced the Ashes test in Adelaide surprisingly enough)

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
1996 is 12 years ago, but I think you'll find that from Jan 97, to Dec 06, Ponting has scored 33 centuries which is more than Haydens 28 (Ponting hasn't scored 1 sinced the Ashes test in Adelaide surprisingly enough)
Well that's all you had to say. Saying he debuted in 96, and implying that was a decade ago had me worried, that was all. Especially as you're an accountant IIRC. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, I'm pretty sure dass meant a calender decade though, rather than any set of 10 years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh yeah, right. I always forget btw, was it a Dinosaur-style meteorite, or a I Am Legand-style mutant virus, that caused that particular mass extinction.
Well, not quite, but if you wondered where they all went you might be forgiven for thinking that.

Johnners

Well that's all you had to say. Saying he debuted in 96, and implying that was a decade ago had me worried, that was all. Especially as you're an accountant IIRC. :p
Yeah, probably didn't make it clear the first time. I knew what I wasn't going crazy so I guess thats all that really matters :p