• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time for cricket to split?

Would you prefer a split to the current set-up?

• Yes

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 33 76.7%

• Total voters

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Maybe it is, but we've had the Pakistan team spitting the dummy out at the Oval, and then, although the Australian team were no better than the Indians this time around, the BCCI and some idiots make it worse by producing scenes like this

and it's bloody annoying.

I honestly can't think of any other nation where a significant amount of people would react to a few decisions not going their way by people going out into the streets and burning stuff.

Honestly this is the problem with the media at times..

Do you honestly think every person in India or Pakistan goes around the street burning effigies?

No, the fact is its probably done so they can get their faces on TV.. and yet the whole gullible population gets this percieved notion that every person in those countries goes around doing that...

Thats the problem these days, people just believe whatever the media tells them and assume from what they see it applies to the general population..

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
I still think this whole beatup helps Australia more then India. Whilst your blaming others and the officails your not looking at your own performance. They got rolled on a good pitch in 2nd dig for 210, with only 1 dodgy decision and that of a man who was hardly bothering the scorers his strike rate was so low.

Do you really want the world champions with a much more potent fast bowlers angry at you when your scheduled to play your next test at a ground famous for bounce and speed. (Although it isn't what it used to be most touring sides still struggle on it.) I mean lets get Hogg banned, so the Aussie have no choice but to play Tait in Perth. (What chance the Aussie's instruct Hogg plead guilty and given that then he is likely only to get 1 match (on a game which there was a chance he wouldn't play anyway.) and allow CA to make BCCI look like whinging fools.)

With Tait, Australia would go into the match with three bowlers capable of giving 150 a nudge. Now CA doesn't instruct curators on what pitch to prepare. However given that Australia always faces dust bowls in the subcontinent, and we've gifted India two more subcontinet like pitches so far the curator may put some zing into Perth..

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
I still think this whole beatup helps Australia more then India. Whilst your blaming others and the officails your not looking at your own performance. They got rolled on a good pitch in 2nd dig for 210, with only 1 dodgy decision and that of a man who was hardly bothering the scorers his strike rate was so low.

Turn it up.

Dravid was doing his job perfectly. They were never going to win the match. They had to survive and Dravid was the most qualified to do that, and he got sawn off.

Has anyone noticed when a team tours Australia that they nearly always lose their best bowler to injury, and their best batsmen always get out to poor umpiring decisions (remember Lara a two years ago?).

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Do you really want the world champions with a much more potent fast bowlers angry at you when your scheduled to play your next test at a ground famous for bounce and speed. (Although it isn't what it used to be most touring sides still struggle on it.) I mean lets get Hogg banned, so the Aussie have no choice but to play Tait in Perth. (What chance the Aussie's instruct Hogg plead guilty and given that then he is likely only to get 1 match (on a game which there was a chance he wouldn't play anyway.) and allow CA to make BCCI look like whinging fools.)

With Tait, Australia would go into the match with three bowlers capable of giving 150 a nudge. Now CA doesn't instruct curators on what pitch to prepare. However given that Australia always faces dust bowls in the subcontinent, and we've gifted India two more subcontinet like pitches so far the curator may put some zing into Perth..
Turn it up.

Dravid was doing his job perfectly. They were never going to win the match. They had to survive and Dravid was the most qualified to do that, and he got sawn off.

Has anyone noticed when a team tours Australia that they nearly always lose their best bowler to injury, and their best batsmen always get out to poor umpiring decisions (remember Lara a two years ago?).
Gaaaah, this is not a thread about Australia v India, there's already 300,000 of them (Ok slight exaggeration) and we don't want to turn this into another 1.

Back on topic, I'm firmly in the no camp. Whilst Steds was probably a little harsh in the way he put his point accross, IMO it is a relavent point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my Knowledge there are only 3 teams that have ever had major problem with particular umpires, claiming bias etc.?

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Days of Grace,

Dravid may have been batting to save the test but given the evidence of his previous innings on this tour it looks like that is now his batting style. No matter what, he was hardly accumulating runs in a way to win a test match, draw yes but it would take him several days to get a score to win a match. 210 on that pitch was still a failure and India appear to be to worried about other matters to think about their performance

Secondly are you accusing a range of umpires from various countires of cheating or collusion with Australia?

I think there are two things that give sides the "rub of the green" .
Firstly home advantage, maybe its the crowds or maybe the media but things do go better for the home sides. Secondly the superior team usually creates more chances and therefore gets more 50/50 occuring and will therefore collect more suspect decisions. (just because they got to inquire of the umpire more.) I think Katich migh feel like luck went against them in 2005.

As for injuries (can I make the following observation), many Australian cricket grounds are used for Aussie football during winter. This compact the grounds and with the hot australian summer might make the outfeilds harder then other countires outfeilds maybe.
And as for star bowlers getting injuried, 2005 and one Glenn McGrath comes to mind.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Gaaaah, this is not a thread about Australia v India, there's already 300,000 of them (Ok slight exaggeration) and we don't want to turn this into another 1.

Back on topic, I'm firmly in the no camp. Whilst Steds was probably a little harsh in the way he put his point accross, IMO it is a relavent point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my Knowledge there are only 3 teams that have ever had major problem with particular umpires, claiming bias etc.?
Why the talk of a split, surely it has evrything to do with the occurences on the current tour downunder?

shortpitched713

International Captain
I would label a significant amount as enough to attract press attention, rather than about 7 ****s doing what 7 ****s do.
More than enough to get media attention. In fact sometimes I think thats pretty much the only reason that the ****s do it. If there was no media attention then there likely wouldn't be anyone doing it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well lets say that England lose far more per head than most countries.. How many times does Flintoff's house get egged or torched, a la Inzamam ul Haq/Wasim Akram when things go sour for Pakistan?
As I said - give me a comparison between the number of people who follow cricket in Pakistan, and those that follow it over here.

Then we'll think about how much that means.
A better comparison is soccer in England. How does that work over there? I've no idea, so just wondering. I can't imagine it being that bad (in terms of eggs on houses and such)?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I have a different approach to fixing this potential problem

WARNING: Possible ******** Alert

Have delegates from each country (mainly former players, say 5 or something) appointed to an ICC panel, have them select their respective country's team and all revenue goes to the ICC, who could then evenly distribute it to smaller cricket boards, who use the funds for arenas.etc.

Basically, have Boards control domestic and grassroots cricket, with the ICC controlling International matches.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I have a different approach to fixing this potential problem

WARNING: Possible ******** Alert

Have delegates from each country (mainly former players, say 5 or something) appointed to an ICC panel, have them select their respective country's team and all revenue goes to the ICC, who could then evenly distribute it to smaller cricket boards, who use the funds for arenas.etc.

Basically, have Boards control domestic and grassroots cricket, with the ICC controlling International matches.
That would never work. CA, BCCI and ECB would laugh in your face if you even brought that up.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
It would obviously be weighted so countries with more cricketers would get more, so effectively, they would get one hell of a lot more than say, the United States Cricket Union (if they have one).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It would obviously be weighted so countries with more cricketers would get more, so effectively, they would get one hell of a lot more than say, the United States Cricket Union (if they have one).
How do you judge how many cricketers there are? Because if you count total population, India would get like 95% of the money, even more than they make. If you mean # of professional cricketers, Australia would be at a severe disadvantage as they pride themselves on an extremely competitive top level domestic cricket.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If Husband and wife cant live together, they are better off getting divorced, Children do suffer but it is in the best interest of everyone.

IMO Same should happen to Cricket as well. Obviously there are two school of crickets and one is the Aussie/England way which is followed in Non-Asian countries and the other is subcontinent way. I guess time has come that the cricket world spilt into two groups, one block would have England, Australia, SA, NZ, WI and Zimbabwe the other will have India, Pakistan, SL and Bangladesh. I couldn't care less if it made cricket any poor, Although I dont think it will make following cricket any more painful that it has been in last few weeks.

That said, it will never happen. For all the talk about Indians/Ausssies being racist/abusive and all that, the prime factor that drives cricketing world today is MONEY and a split would drastically reduce the earning potentials of almost everyone involved at any level. And needless to say that no one is willing to part with that. Take for example IPL, Symonds has already signed up for it and Harbhajan is almost a certainty. Tomorrow if Symonds and Harbhajan/Sreesanth were made to play for the same team in IPL, they will just be too happy to play together and make us look like fools.

This whole thing has been a big farce and nothing more than the childish bickering from both sides. As usual Indian media/BCCI has over-reacted and tried its usual arm-twisting . Had India won the Melbourne test, India couldn't have cared less about umpiring or Bhajji's ban.

I dont understand why it is so difficult to understand for some people that Racism should have no place in any sport or for that matter any part of life. We are the first ones to play the victims of racism and also the first ones to defend our players for hurling racial taunts.

Bhajji is definately guilty here and he should have been thrown out of the tour. I have no sympathy for people who cant control their emotions even more so when they are representing their country. IMO they do not deserve to play for their country.

As the leader of the team Anil Kumble should have been punished too and Tendulkar should have been cautioned for his support to Harbhajan.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
If Husband and wife cant live together, they are better off getting divorced, Children do suffer but it is in the best interest of everyone.

IMO Same should happen to Cricket as well. Obviously there are two school of crickets and one is the Aussie/England way which is followed in Non-Asian countries and the other is subcontinent way. I guess time has come that the cricket world spilt into two groups, one block would have England, Australia, SA, NZ, WI and Zimbabwe the other will have India, Pakistan, SL and Bangladesh. I couldn't care less if it made cricket any poor, Although I dont think it will make following cricket any more painful that it has been in last few weeks.

That said, it will never happen. For all the talk about Indians/Ausssies being racist/abusive and all that, the prime factor that drives cricketing world today is MONEY and a split would drastically reduce the earning potentials of almost everyone involved at any level. And needless to say that no one is willing to part with that. Take for example IPL, Symonds has already signed up for it and Harbhajan is almost a certainty. Tomorrow if Symonds and Harbhajan/Sreesanth were made to play for the same team in IPL, they will just be too happy to play together and make us look like fools.

This whole thing has been a big farce and nothing more than the childish bickering from both sides. As usual Indian media/BCCI has over-reacted and tried its usual arm-twisting . Had India won the Melbourne test, India couldn't have cared less about umpiring or Bhajji's ban.

I dont understand why it is so difficult to understand for some people that Racism should have no place in any sport or for that matter any part of life. We are the first ones to play the victims of racism and also the first ones to defend our players for hurling racial taunts.

Bhajji is definately guilty here and he should have been thrown out of the tour. I have no sympathy for people who cant control their emotions even more so when they are representing their country. IMO they do not deserve to play for their country.

As the leader of the team Anil Kumble should have been punished too and Tendulkar should have been cautioned for his support to Harbhajan.
Really? And you were out there and the ground and heard him say it right?8-)