• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbhajan reignites racism storm

JBH001

International Regular
Yeah, it's very immature stuff by the Indians.

If bastard truly was an offensive word to Indians, it would've come out years ago and a charge would've already been laid on a cricketer and we'd be no longer allowed to say it to them.
8-)

You ever thought that the Indians (and Lankans, Pakistanis and Bangas) simply left it on the field of play?

Hailing from that culture, I can categorically tell you that comments directed towards ones family (and ones mother, sister, wife, daughter especially) are fighting words. That was one of the things I had to get used to when coming to NZ (even now after all these years if someone makes an off hand comment along those lines my first reaction is to bristle with anger before remembering that nothing was meant by it).

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Childish all-round, really. Neither side has exactly covered themselves in glory on this one.
I certainly won't dispute the Indians have acted childish. Just pointing out their stance accurately here.

The one I really feel sorry for in this whole mess is Bucknor. He's been dropped like a hot rock by the ICC. Anyone know where he is anymore? Is he even still alive? Does anyone even care?
Does it matter? He's way past his due date anyway.

sideshowtim

Banned
But that's the point. Their argument is we thought we were supposed to keep it on the field? Now that you're going to go report stuff, so we will as well.
We're only going to report racism.

If we were going to start reporting stuff we found 'offensive' that wasn't racist, I'm sure we'd have a mountain of charges on your blokes too.

Basically, the line should be drawn at racism. To suggest that 'monkey' is even in the same ballpark is 'bastard' is absurd, and the Indians should be ashamed of themselves for such a weak attempt to twist things back on to the Australians. Sledging is a part of the game, always has been, and it's part of the 'blokey' nature of the sport here in Australia, and it's quickly spreading. Racism can't be tolerated though, and never has been, so I don't see why we should be tolerating it now.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does it matter? He's way past his due date anyway.
In terms of umpiring, sure. Has been for ages. But he's still a person who needs support just like everyone else. The way he's been abandoned when he's done nothing other than make mistakes (even lots of them) leaves a sour taste.

funnygirl

State Regular
The one I really feel sorry for in this whole mess is Bucknor. He's been dropped like a hot rock by the ICC. Anyone know where he is anymore? Is he even still alive? Does anyone even care?
[/QUOTE]

why are u so sympathetic towards him ?As if he was doing a great job out there ?

He is an umpire who shouldn't be in the elite panel purely in terms of his form .

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bastard means ''mom is a whore '' can be considered offensive .It is in India .If u take that way .May not be racist .

I don't think there is any racist word for Indians .They get offended by certain personal insults .
Oh, I'm not saying it isn't offensive. It seems funny to me though that he is apprently being charged for "racial abuse" when to my understanding it's nothing of the sort.

funnygirl

State Regular
In terms of umpiring, sure. Has been for ages. But he's still a person who needs support just like everyone else. The way he's been abandoned when he's done nothing other than make mistakes (even lots of them) leaves a sour taste.
There is a limit for mistakes ? Sure ''incompetency is a convenient word ''.But should not misuse it .Or should not reach a point where an umpire simply refuses to call third umpire for a close stumping call .

sideshowtim

Banned
Sure. Where do you draw the line? Is family OK?
I suppose the problem with the laws at the moment are that it's difficult to mirror the laws on society at the present time merely due to the fact that so many cultures have so many different standpoints on things. There are things Indian culture may find offensive that Australians don't and vice versa, and thus it's hard to shape laws as such. One thing I think every culture in the world can agree on, is that racism is ****ing terrible and needs to be completely eradicated.

If we can think of another issue that is as universally disgusting as racism, I think we should add that to the 'crosses the line' category too...Since it can't be...nations are just going to have to stop being precious when it comes to being called bad things. Having a dig at someone's family is probably tasteless, but it's not considered anywhere close to racism here, nor is it in England etc...So...no, that isn't crossing the line. Other nations just have to suck it up on this account.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hardly. Cricketers get dropped all the time. So should umpires.

Johnners

We're only going to report racism.

If we were going to start reporting stuff we found 'offensive' that wasn't racist, I'm sure we'd have a mountain of charges on your blokes too.

Basically, the line should be drawn at racism. To suggest that 'monkey' is even in the same ballpark is 'bastard' is absurd, and the Indians should be ashamed of themselves for such a weak attempt to twist things back on to the Australians. Sledging is a part of the game, always has been, and it's part of the 'blokey' nature of the sport here in Australia, and it's quickly spreading. Racism can't be tolerated though, and never has been, so I don't see why we should be tolerating it now.
Seriously, you're doing yourself, and the attitudes of others towards Australian posters no favours. Said it once, and I'll say it again, ashamed at times that I support the same team as you. Please be quiet.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
So, if the Aussies find something that offensive, I'm sure they should report 'my blokes' too. I've no problem with that.
The difficulty there is that sides that have players who speak different languages can basically get away with anything (according to FSN, Sharma was hardly polite after Symonds was given not out) - so do you deem something to be offensive if the opposition doesn't understand it?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Read in the Courier Mail this morning that Hogg was being charged for "Racial Abuse" wtf? It's alleged Hogg walked by Kumble and said "I can't wait to run through you bastards". Now it was my understanding that "Bastard" wasn't considered racial, just highly offensive in a personal sense to Indians as it's frowned upon to have children out of wedlock. Am I missing something here?

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23030356-10389,00.html

Also found this article ITSTL. Particularly:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23031686-5003413,00.html
Could there be an error here on the part of the paper? (The Courier Mail is hardly a bastion of quality journalism.)

If I read this correctly, the Indians are trying to claim that Hogg's "bastard" comment is racist, because it raises the matter of somebody's descent. If this is true, it's one of the more cynical things I've ever seen -- is it true though? I've certainly not read this in any other press coverage of the incident, all the other accounts have called it a code of conduct breach, or abusive language. I have to say that the sympathy I had for the Indian team in the wake of what went on at Sydney is going to fade very fast if they are seriously trying to argue this, but I'm a bit sceptical about the story.

sideshowtim

Banned
So, if the Aussies find something that offensive, I'm sure they should report 'my blokes' too. I've no problem with that.

So, Australia decides what subjects should be reported?
Being offended by something and being the victim of racial abuse is completely different. As I said, our society generally accepts that being 'offended' is part and parcel of every day life. Racism, however, isn't and we are doing our best to eradicate that from our society. The sports field is a good place to start and good place to show that racism won't be tolerated.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That isn't crossing the line. Other nations just have to suck it up on this account.
I'm sorry but I'm done for the day. That's a ludicrous one-way expectation and I have nothing to say to it other than that if that is the expectation of the Australian players, I hope every single word uttered is relentlessly reported until some changes are made on the field.

sideshowtim

Banned
Seriously, you're doing yourself, and the attitudes of others towards Australian posters no favours. Said it once, and I'll say it again, ashamed at times that I support the same team as you. Please be quiet.
Don't see anything wrong with what I said there...A lot of people have been arguing the same thing so...

Johnners

Could there be an error here on the part of the paper? (The Courier Mail is hardly a bastion of quality journalism.)

If I read this correctly, the Indians are trying to claim that Hogg's "bastard" comment is racist, because it raises the matter of somebody's descent. If this is true, it's one of the more cynical things I've ever seen -- is it true though? I've certainly not read this in any other press coverage of the incident, all the other accounts have called it a code of conduct breach, or abusive language. I have to say that the sympathy I had for the Indian team in the wake of what went on at Sydney is going to fade very fast if they are seriously trying to argue this, but I'm a bit sceptical about the story.
I'm guessing it is an error on the journalists part, because It's the first time I've seen "racism" thrown into the Hogg case. If it is true though, it is well....interesting.

funnygirl

State Regular
Being offended by something and being the victim of racial abuse is completely different. As I said, our society generally accepts that being 'offended' is part and parcel of every day life. Racism, however, isn't and we are doing our best to eradicate that from our society. The sports field is a good place to start and good place to show that racism won't be tolerated.
why don't Aussies make a rule about sledging ''what to sledge or what not to ''.So that other people can be careful8-)