• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

funnygirl

State Regular
Here is the difference between Lehmann and Singh in a nutshell: Lehmann made full apologies, verbally and in writing, immediately following his disgraceful racist outburst. Furthermore, I give you Lehmann's words after getting banned for 5 ODIs:

"I would like to place on record the fact that I had a fair hearing"

"I accept the penalty handed down and would like to say once again how regretful I am that the incident took place."

"I meant no offence by my comments and again would like to apologise for making them.

"I would also like to thank the Sri Lankan team for their support and understanding in this matter."

Darren Lehmann is a long way ahead of Singh in the character department, I can tell you.

EDIT: you beat me to it, TopCat!
How do u conclude that without proof ?

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Out side influence ? What is the proof he has to offer about that abuse ?And 3 tests ? For Lehmann just 5 ODIs ? Is that fair ? we need a balance for every thing ,don't we ?
If BCCI has a problem they can report him to the ICC and the due process can be followed. If they are unhappy they can work to change the due process. (Given the influence that BCCI money has and how weak and vaciliating the ICC is it shouldn't be hard.) However for a national governing body to attack an individual officer of the game publicly is to begin walking done the road to intimadating umpires to alter their decisions based on outside pressure of various countries.

I agree there needs to be a balance? How about Yuraj Singh getting away with obvious on feild dissent with the lame excuse that he was "shocked", maybe Harbajhan penalty was the balance. I personally hope that Proctor took each incident and made a decision without fear or favour. Can you see that cricket boards calling publicly for action would diminish the ability of all officials to act without fear or favour in their adjudicating.

funnygirl

State Regular
If BCCI has a problem they can report him to the ICC and the due process can be followed. If they are unhappy they can work to change the due process. (Given the influence that BCCI money has and how weak and vaciliating the ICC is it shouldn't be hard.) However for a national governing body to attack an individual officer of the game publicly is to begin walking done the road to intimadating umpires to alter their decisions based on outside pressure of various countries.

I agree there needs to be a balance? How about Yuraj Singh getting away with obvious on feild dissent with the lame excuse that he was "shocked", maybe Harbajhan penalty was the balance. I personally hope that Proctor took each incident and made a decision without fear or favour. Can you see that cricket boards calling publicly for action would diminish the ability of all officials to act without fear or favour in their adjudicating.

Was Micheal clarke shocked ?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
My favourite animal is actually a Monkey.

Good test though - Hayden, Laxman, Sachin, Hussey, all great 100s. Lees bowling, Kumble toughness.

Kinda bored of the whole saga at the moment.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shocked he'd played such a bad shot perhaps.

In fairness to Clarke, he seems not to be thinking straight atm. It's like he's been in a bingle or something....

As for Ponting, I've changed my mind. he should be sacked - for over-bowling Johnson int he 1st innings while Clark hardly bowled at all.

pup11

International Coach
Interesting calls by a few guys about dropping Clarke and Hogg, btw Clarke has one of Australia's most consistent batsmen since his comeback, and because of one bad game he can't be dropped, would you guys drop Ponting then, as he has had pretty average test scores this season!!
Patience needs to shown with Hogg, he has bowled without much luck and he deserves a good run, if any guy needs to dropped then it would have to be Johnson because he just hasn't looked the part as Australia's new ball bowler, he needs to do a lot work on his bowling to have an impact at test level.
As for India i should drop Jaffer, Yuvraj and Sharma for Sehwag, Pathan and Pankaj Singh respectively.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seems a little harsh to me, on the issue of playing in the right spirit at least.

Contentious catches - do they mean Ganguly or Dravid? If Dravid, then India ought not have appealed when Ponting took a chunk out of the ball on his lbw in the 1st innings. If Ganguly, then was there not some agreement about taking the word of the captain on catches before the series? Ponting called a catch to him not out in the Indian 1st innings, iirc.

Excessive appealing? I believe it's a blight on the game, however, the author appears to have selective memory in this regard. He obviously didn't see the 2001 series in India. It's not right, but every country does it.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shocked he'd played such a bad shot perhaps.

In fairness to Clarke, he seems not to be thinking straight atm. It's like he's been in a bingle or something....
As for Ponting, I've changed my mind. he should be sacked - for over-bowling Johnson int he 1st innings while Clark hardly bowled at all.
:laugh: quality punnage.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
I think he should have been charged for dissent but after setting the standard so low for Yuraj, what would have been the point he couldn't have been found guilty.. (From my perspective Yuraj was a worse case and the radio commentators seemed to concur but you have the right to disagree.)

Anyway answer my questions.

Should unpires work in an environment were they are free from interference from the players and officials of any team or country?

Should all concerned work to ensure that umpires feel free from intimidation from people involved in the administrating or playing cricket?

How does any board calling for the removal, suspension or resting of umpires/referees assist in help to maintain that umpires/referees act in a free and fair way without feeling intimidated?

There is an official process for handlind compliants against officials, boards should use that and public outburst that risk diminishing officiating independence should be punished.

sideshowtim

Banned
Just awful. It's ridiculous how much Ponting's integrity is being called into question here, when I am still yet to see someone tell me what he did that any other team or captain never does...
contentious catching rulings - Haha, please...In a match without such poor umpiring, these catches would never be revisted ever, ever again. Just terrible.

sledging - Oh, you mean something that the Australian team has done for 20 years, and every other side in the world pretty much does these days?

poor sportsmanship - Blanket term with very little meaning this days. Cliche as hell.

persistent appeals on flagging umpires - Yeah, the Indians never over appeal. Way to single out Australia.

ungracious celebrations. - Name me one side who would've celebrated otherwise after a victory in the last 10 minutes of the match when every one had said it was heading for a draw the day before.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
What's the roar with this Bingle chick? Find her pretty ordinary tbh. Seems like baywatch material to me, the typical running on the beach with blonde hair swaying from side to side, flaunting her assets, while sporting a red swimsuit/bikini.