• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not the most reliable of evidence though. It only holds up if the witnesses are telling the truth, which is what's at question here.
Why is their evidence any less reliable than that of the Indian players?

Which is the whole problem here, isn't it?

NJANJA

Cricket Spectator
Not the most reliable of evidence though. It only holds up if the witnesses are telling the truth, which is what's at question here.
This is what I don't understand. Is there some particular reason why many are willing to countenance the suggestion that up to five Australian players were willing to turn up and blatantly lie to the match referee? I would not have thought that Australian cricketers are any more or less honest than Indian cricketers, which is to say that they are honest indeed.

NJANJA

EDIT: beaten to it again, thanks Burgey.

Top_Cat

See, this is the part I take issue with. Corroborative evidence is used to convict people in cases up to and including murder. You think everyone there is telling the truth? Good Lord, no. This is only a problem if you don't assess what people are telling you.

I've said it before and maintain it because I used to do it for a job but collusion between people where they're all trying to tell a consistent lie is very difficult to achieve. A few questions out of the ordinary, in my experience, and the stories break down. To co-ordinate 5 people to tell the same lie in every detail is so unlikely as to be virtually impossible. Whether Proctor has the skills training to see this is, as pointed out by JBH100, open to question but still, it's not usually difficult to catch multiple people out in a lie.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Yep. I didn't say ours was more reliable, I just need to know how Procter came to that conclusion before making a judgement.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Wasn't it Procter who said a while back that it was in the Australians' nature to sledge etc, and it was different when dealing with them? I'm sure it was a major official who said something along those lines.

duffer

Wasn't it Procter who said a while back that it was in the Australians' nature to sledge etc, and it was different when dealing with them? I'm sure it was a major official who said something along those lines.
If it was, then it's bad news. He shouldn't be allowed to stand in Australian series if he is going to treat them differently.

Burgey

It transpires that Tendulkar apparently messaged the BCCI telling them to fight this thing as hard as possible (according to news reports on 3 o'clock radio) do everything to get HB Singh off.

OK. Should he have done so, bearing in mind he is not captain of the team? Is it open to any player to influence thir board that way?

Raises yet another interesting sidelight we could all do without, imo.

Johnners

Do recall that as well, not sure who it was though.

biased indian

International Coach

so wht happens if in the next game indians complaint about, say ponting and symmonds while they are batting ...for the same issue..will they be banned based on the evidance given by the indian players rather than asking the umpires or looking for evidence though lip reading or some thing like that ????

Johnners

If it was, then it's bad news. He shouldn't be allowed to stand in Australian series if he is going to treat them differently.
Shouldn't be allowed to stand in any series if he's openly admitted that he treats teams differently (even if he's only said it about Australia, If he has admitted it, theres every chance he does the same for other teams in different situations)

biased indian

International Coach
It transpires that Tendulkar apparently messaged the BCCI telling them to fight this thing as hard as possible (according to news reports on 3 o'clock radio) do everything to get HB Singh off.

OK. Should he have done so, bearing in mind he is not captain of the team? Is it open to any player to influence thir board that way?

Raises yet another interesting sidelight we could all do without, imo.
becuse he is the only person who was there at the pitch...from the indian side during all this was taking place..and he was asked by gavaskar at the end of days play was there any chants like that is being suggested..he had said that nothing like that was happened and he also did mention wht was actullay talked about i forgot that thing..and it now like his word and harbhajan words has not been considred..since he was the only one who was the witness from indian side he has the rite to talk to BCCI i think..and he is the senior most player in the side

Last edited:

Burgey

so wht happens if in the next game indians complaint about, say ponting and symmonds while they are batting ...for the same issue..will they be banned based on the evidance given by the indian players rather than asking the umpires or looking for evidence though lip reading or some thing like that ????
I dunno mate - I think we are agreeing here. I'm saying I find it very surprising he was found guilty unless there was some other evidence apart from what the players said. Maybe there was somethign else - we just don't know. If there wasn't then I find it very difficult to see how he was found guilty. Maybe there was something in the footage which shows something, but we would probably have seen it ourselves by now. I was curious about what it was that HB Singh saw fit to apologise about out onteh field if he didn't say anything. This is really the problem, we're all guessing here as to what went on - the match referee hee should have to give reasons of some sort and have them published imo.

But what I'm also saying is that one can't call the evidence of either set of players dodgy or unreliable just because their evidence does not support the view one is backing. Duffer's post was that the evidence of the Australian players was less reliable than that of the Indian players. I don't know how you could say that unless you heard the evidence of all of them, anymore than people could say that the evidence of Tendulkar was unreliable or less reliable than that of the Aussie players.

On your later post - the batsmen's evidence would have been considered, but it obviously wasn't accepted. If it wasn't even considered then the appeal will get straight through with no problems. Unless we se Proctor's reasons, we can't know why he preferred the fielders' versions of things.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Unless we se Proctor's reasons, we can't know why he preferred the fielders' versions of things.
and the guy is not stating his reasons so far right? just saying he is convinced he made the right decision...that's what is irritating...

Burgey

and the guy is not stating his reasons so far right? just saying he is convinced he made the right decision...that's what is irritating...
Yeah that's right. I think there's a real flaw in the system here - there needs to be some published reasons for decisions or we are all left wondering wtf is going on.

Top_Cat

The matter is still in dispute, though. Until it's over, I doubt we'll see any tangible reasons. Even then...

Burgey

The matter is still in dispute, though. Until it's over, I doubt we'll see any tangible reasons. Even then...
But there must be some reasons he's written out or given verbally and which have been recorded, or the appeal panel will have nothing to go off to see whether he's made a mistake of some kind..

Top_Cat

But there must be some reasons he's written out or given verbally and which have been recorded, or the appeal panel will have nothing to go off to see whether he's made a mistake of some kind..
Of course they'd be recorded but they'd remain internal documents for now, I'd say. Either way, even if they weren't or even if the BCCI hadn't seen them yet, they'd have appealed any guilty verdict.

Burgey

Of course they'd be recorded but they'd remain internal documents for now, I'd say. Either way, even if they weren't or even if the BCCI hadn't seen them yet, they'd have appealed any guilty verdict.
Yeah, but I think that's the problem with the system - may be they should be published, or a summary of them prepared outlining his findings and the evidence which supported them.

biased indian

International Coach
to be true to all..i did feel Harbhajan did say some thing wrong(i dont like both harbhajan and symmonds charachter wise)..becuse the way hayden was reacting walking back to the slip....may be tendulkar didn't here that thing..but where is the evidance... ?????

and one more thing why was symmonds not even called for reacting to harbhajan for wht he did to lee..lee didn tsay anything...or is it that symmonds take care of all the aussie players..if lee had a problem he could have told it to ponting or the umpires why would symmonds respond back. ???