• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There is a third option. Perhaps it was said while Tendulkar was out of earshot, while the three Australians were present?
Quite possible, but from what I understand, Tendulkar said he heard the conversation from when Symonds came into Harbhajan. If he said he didn't hear a part of the conversation, then its a different story and I'd be happy with the decision.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Now what reasons would Australia have to lie and accuse Harby of racism? None as far as I can see.
Don't know, Symonds could have mis-heard and then his team mates could have supported him just like you are saying Tendulkar would have supported his team mates.

sideshowtim

Banned
Quite possible, but from what I understand, Tendulkar said he heard the conversation from when Symonds came into Harbhajan. If he said he didn't hear a part of the conversation, then its a different story and I'd be happy with the decision.
At the present time though, it's kind of ridiculous to speculate on what happened in that room because we have no idea of the evidence that was presented or anything. From what we do know though, from what we've seen on TV with the way the player's were acting, and using sheer logic and reason, we can say that Harby getting done for a racist comment isn't particularly something that is hard to believe.

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm sure it's been said already, but at the end of the day what's said on the field should stay on the field, and I think the Aussies should have left it on the field.
so is it alright than for the australian players to make racist comments towards the indian players?

sideshowtim

Banned
Don't know, Symonds could have mis-heard and then his team mates could have supported him just like you are saying Tendulkar would have supported his team mates.
Why would Harby try to clearly apologise to Symonds if he said nothing then? You don't apologise for something you haven't said.

awesam1981

Cricket Spectator
Evidence against Harbhajan ?

Symonds started the argument and Harbhajan spoke back, but were they close to the mic?Umpires have denied hearing any conversation between the two.
I believe the verdict was based on 3 Australian players who gave their testimonial during the hearing. Correct me if I am wrong. But is this verdict fair ?
I am of Indian origin in Australia and dont mind being called a monkey, kangaroo, dog , cat etc. There nothing racist about it... Australian players are well known for their on field sledging tactics. I am sure the foul language Aussie players used on-field is worse than hearing words like "Monkey".

I can forget about 8 umpiring decisions goign against India , but I cannot tolerate how team Australia is behaving towards a well respected team India.

As Ponting once said; what happens on field, remains on field ! And hes done just opposite.
I feel this issue has been blown out of proportion.

sideshowtim

Banned
What are you talking about? How do you know he was apologizing, or that he was specifically apologizing for a racist comment?
Have you seen the footage of the incident? It was pretty clear that Harby was trying to apologise to Symonds and was taking a light hearted approach to it all, while Symonds was obviously too enraged to accept the apology.

Agent TBY

International Captain
I am of Indian origin in Australia and dont mind being called a monkey, kangaroo, dog , cat etc. There nothing racist about it... Australian players are well known for their on field sledging tactics. I am sure the foul language Aussie players used on-field is worse than hearing words like "Monkey"..
Give it up already. It's racist, and it's definitely offensive to Symonds as seen during the ODI series.

Agent TBY

International Captain
On this biased austrlian board, but if you come to a indian board you will also not win any arguments that "monkey" is racist.
If you go to an Indian board you probably wouldn't find any well thought out arguments either.

The point about cultural differences is moot here because Symonds has quite clearly stated he finds it offensive.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Roebuck- Ponting Must Be Sacked

Anyone read this? thoughts? I reckon Roebuck is falling out of love with Australia, myself. Never seen him use such virulent language towards them before. I was quite surprised at the tone of it. Is it an accurate reflection of some Aussie sentiment?
Particularly liked this quote:

"It is possible to love a country and not its cricket team."

Thought it was ironically relevant (despite coming in a different context) for those who were attacking posters for not supporting their national team.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Symonds describes what happened prior to the confrontation with Harbhajan.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ausvind/content/current/story/329488.html

"Brett Lee had just sent down a delivery and Harbhajan took off down the wicket. When he was returning to his crease, he decided to hit Brett on the backside. I have no idea why he did it.

"I was standing nearby and when I saw what happened, I thought, 'Hold on, that's not on'. I'm a firm believer in sticking up for your team-mate so I stepped in and had a bit of a crack at Harbhajan, telling him exactly what I thought of his antics. He then had a shot back, which brings us to the situation we're facing."

Bracken

U19 Debutant
What are you talking about? How do you know he was apologizing, or that he was specifically apologizing for a racist comment?
Actually, this was something that was troubling me slightly, too.

I mentioned the little exchange earlier in the thread. It was during a change of over shortly after the incident, and Harbhajan quite obviously approached Symonds with what could only be described as conciliatory hand gestures and body language. Symonds walked straight past him, not even acknowledging Harbhajan's presence, until Harbhajan looked away, when Symonds shot him a glare that would have stripped the paint of his helmet.

Obviously, no one bar the two of them knows exactly what went on, but it was pretty apparent from the body language that Harbhajan was apologising for something, and that Symonds wasn't having a bar of it.

It wasn't the sort of scene that needed an expert in reading expression and body language- it really was pretty overt.

Doesn't prove anything, of course, but it definitely has had me thinking a bit.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Have you seen the footage of the incident? It doesn't prove that he made a racist remark, but to me the footage from just prior to the umpires' conversation implied that Harbhajan was attempting to apologize or say something conciliatory to Symonds, and later to Hayden. Harbhajan makes what seems to be a conciliatory gesture towards him but Hayden has turned away and raises his hand as Harbhajan keeps speaking, in a "don't want to know" gesture.

Could be wrong, that's just how it looked to me.

Jon Pierik, an Aussie sports journo, has said that Hayden apparently approached Harbhajan on Friday and told him that he had broken a pre-series pledge not to use the "monkey" gibe. Dunno if this has been mentioned so far, but apparently the whole incident arose out of Harbhajan smacking Lee on the ass with his bat (for no reason anybody can identify), and Symonds remonstrating.

Additional bad news is that the ICC are apparently standing firmly behind Bucknor, stating that he will definitely be umpiring at Perth. This is a really, really bad move. There are very mixed opinions in Australia regarding the whole racism affair, but nearly all our press concedes that India got a terrible dudding from the umpires, and that Bucknor MUST be removed.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Actually, this was something that was troubling me slightly, too.

I mentioned the little exchange earlier in the thread. It was during a change of over shortly after the incident, and Harbhajan quite obviously approached Symonds with what could only be described as conciliatory hand gestures and body language. Symonds walked straight past him, not even acknowledging Harbhajan's presence, until Harbhajan looked away, when Symonds shot him a glare that would have stripped the paint of his helmet.

Obviously, no one bar the two of them knows exactly what went on, but it was pretty apparent from the body language that Harbhajan was apologising for something, and that Symonds wasn't having a bar of it.

It wasn't the sort of scene that needed an expert in reading expression and body language- it really was pretty overt.

Doesn't prove anything, of course, but it definitely has had me thinking a bit.
Have you seen the footage of the incident? It doesn't prove that he made a racist remark, but to me the footage from just prior to the umpires' conversation implied that Harbhajan was attempting to apologize or say something conciliatory to Symonds, and later to Hayden. Harbhajan makes what seems to be a conciliatory gesture towards him but Hayden has turned away and raises his hand as Harbhajan keeps speaking, in a "don't want to know" gesture.

Could be wrong, that's just how it looked to me.

Jon Pierik, an Aussie sports journo, has said that Hayden apparently approached Harbhajan on Friday and told him that he had broken a pre-series pledge not to use the "monkey" gibe. Dunno if this has been mentioned so far, but apparently the whole incident arose out of Harbhajan smacking Lee on the ass with his bat (for no reason anybody can identify), and Symonds remonstrating.

Additional bad news is that the ICC are apparently standing firmly behind Bucknor, stating that he will definitely be umpiring at Perth. This is a really, really bad move. There are very mixed opinions in Australia regarding the whole racism affair, but nearly all our press concedes that India got a terrible dudding from the umpires, and that Bucknor MUST be removed.
Fair enough. If true, I have no problem with that.