• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If Hayden doesn't play I think Hussey may open and Voges in one year after being 12th man in a Test.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Team of the first two tests:

Hayden
Jaques
Laxman
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Symonds
Gilchrist
Kumble
Lee
R.P. Singh
Clark

The toughest call was Gilchrist or Dhoni, neither have been in great form with the bat, and both have had pretty good series with the gloves, with the exeption of day 2 of the recent test for Gilchrist. Interesting, that although Australia have scored more runs, the Australian 3-5 (despite Hussey's 145*) have not been in the best of form.

Chubb

International Regular
Roebuck- Ponting Must Be Sacked

Anyone read this? thoughts? I reckon Roebuck is falling out of love with Australia, myself. Never seen him use such virulent language towards them before. I was quite surprised at the tone of it. Is it an accurate reflection of some Aussie sentiment?

sideshowtim

Banned

Anyone read this? thoughts? I reckon Roebuck is falling out of love with Australia, myself. Never seen him use such virulent language towards them before. I was quite surprised at the tone of it. Is it an accurate reflection of some Aussie sentiment?
Awful article. I posted my thoughts on another forum:

"oh dear. how is roebuck one of the most respected cricket journalists when he's going around writing crap like this?

yes, sack a man who has just won 16 straight games as captain. sack a man who is the only one to sweep a series in south africa. sack a man who became the second captain to sweet an ashes series 5-0. sack a man who brought us back from the brink of what could've easily been the end of our dominance (ashes 2005). sack a man who has lost a mere 3 tests out of the 40 he's captained. sack a man with the best winning percentage in cricketing history as captain. wonderful idea roeby!

"If Cricket Australia cares a fig for the tattered reputation of our national team in our national sport, it will not for a moment longer tolerate the sort of arrogant and abrasive conduct seen from the captain and his senior players over the past few days."

haha...tattered reputation? if anyone's reputation has been tattered over the last few days, it's that of the umpires, h. singh and the indian cricket board. what have ponting and his men done wrong? what have they done that no other captain or player would've done in the situation. does he condone the sacking of kumble because he is supporting a racist in a hearing, refused to shake the umpires hand and basically accused the opposition of cheating? i think ponting, having his integrity questioned so much over the last few days despite doing NOTHING wrong has handled the whole thing very well. i still fail to see how ponting is the bad guy out of all this...i really am struggling.

"Beyond comparison it was the ugliest performance put up by an Australian side for 20 years. The only surprising part of it is that the Indians have not packed their bags and gone home. There is no justice for them in this country, nor any manners."

ugliest performance from us? WTF!! we did nothing that we've not done in any other game!! there have been countless times where a player from our team has knicked a ball and not walked...just as there have been countless times an opposition player has knicked the ball and not walked!! it seems roebuck is confusing the ugly performance by the umpires to be an ugly performance by us...funny...a lot of people have been doing that in the wake of this game.

"That the senior players in the Australian team are oblivious to the fury they raised among many followers of the game in this country and beyond merely confirms their own narrow and self-obsessed viewpoint."

yeah, how dare those bastards go along with the umpires decisions and do their best to win a test match!!!! HOW DARE THEY!!!

"Doubtless they were not exposed to the messages that poured in from distressed enthusiasts aghast to see the scenes of bad sportsmanship and triumphalism presented at the SCG during and after the Test."

bad sportsmanship?? where?? the only thing i could see possibly being labelled as bad sportsmanship was the appeal against dravid...but every single team would've gone up for that one...so...null and void there...and he can't be referring to clarke's catch, because i have no doubt clarke felt he caught it. same with ponting's. we saw ponting admit he didn't get to one earlier in the test so..interesting how you forget about that one roeby.

"Harbhajan Singh can be an irritating young man but he is head of a family and responsible for raising nine people. And all the Australian elders want to do is to hunt him from the game. Australian fieldsmen fire insults from the corners of their mouths, an intemperate Sikh warrior overreacts and his rudeness is seized upon. It might impress barrack room lawyers."

wow...so roebuck thinks racism is comparable to sledging? that pretty much shows how much credibility this article has...

"Probably the worst aspect of the Australians' performance was their conduct at the end. When the last catch was taken they formed into a huddle and started jumping up and down like teenagers at a rave. It was not euphoria. It was ecstasy. They had swallowed a dangerous pill called vengeance. Not one player so much as thought about shaking hands with the defeated and departing. So much for Andrew Flintoff consoling a stricken opponent in his hour of defeat."

yeah, really disgusting how a team celebrates after a tight victory. really disgusting. and as a matter of fact, i did see all the australians shake the hands of the indians. all of them. pity the same can't be said for kumble who didn't shake hands with the umpires...where's the diatribe against him?

"Ponting has not provided the leadership expected from an Australian cricket captain and so must be sacked."

enlighten me. what would any other cricket captain in the world have done in the exact same circumstances?

this is merely sensationalist, reactionary BULL**** from someone who obviously has more respect than he should have. one of the worst, most misguided articles i think i've ever read. how are the indians being made the victims after racially abusing one of our players, accusing us of cheating, their captain not shaking hands with the umpires, and threatening to cancel the tour if their player doesn't get off. UNBELIEVABLE."

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone

Just seems to want attention IMO. Gets more and more controversial as more and more people start to rubbish is articles.

Which is exactly what I'm doing here.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I think one of the bodies coming out of this whole mess looking the worst is the media – both of Indian and Australian origin. I wouldn’t bother reading those articles after seeing the headlines but I’ve read some bad ones recently – a Malcolm Conn piece springs to mind and only just now I read something truly disgraceful from Roebuck. That’s not even to mention the absurdity of sections clapping Kumbles’ comment.

As for Roebuck it was business as usual: exaggerating to an unbelievably irresponsible level. According to him the Indians would be justified in going home, Ponting, Hayden and Gilchrist should be sacked and a new captain and side put in place. I’ve never known anyone to writer such sensationalist tabloid rubbish which appears in a broadsheet solely because it’s cloaked in a veneer of Oxford smarm.

If he wasn’t so busy inciting, he may have been able to make some sensible points: the display by the Australians at the end of the match lacked an ounce of grace and Ponting’s behaviour through out the match was both tactless and boorish.

Where is Gideon Haigh? I feel he may be able to provide some kind of reasoned perspective. Greg Baum wasn’t bad either.

edit: see you provided the roebuck link :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

That might be a more extreme view, but I've been reading the Aussie newspapers and it seems to be split pretty evenly.

sideshowtim

Banned
I think one of the bodies coming out of this whole mess looking the worst is the media – both of Indian and Australian origin. I wouldn’t bother reading those articles after seeing the headlines but I’ve read some bad ones recently – a Malcolm Conn piece springs to mind and only just now I read something truly disgraceful from Roebuck. That’s not even to mention the absurdity of sections clapping Kumbles’ comment.

As for Roebuck it was business as usual: exaggerating to an unbelievably irresponsible level. According to him the Indians would be justified in going home, Ponting, Hayden and Gilchrist should be sacked and a new captain and side put in place. I’ve never known anyone to writer such sensationalist tabloid rubbish which appears in a broadsheet solely because it’s cloaked in a veneer of Oxford smarm.

If he wasn’t so busy inciting, he may have been able to make some sensible points: the display by the Australians at the end of the match lacked an ounce of grace and Ponting’s behaviour through out the match was both tactless and boorish.

Where is Gideon Haigh? I feel he may be able to provide some kind of reasoned perspective. Greg Baum wasn’t bad either.

edit: see you provided the roebuck link :)
I agree RE: the media. The way both sides have handled it is just attrocious. I'm yet to see a balanced article come out of all of this.

Mister Wright

It's a crap piece, that's for sure, it's as far from journalism as possible. However, he does make some valid points, for instance Ponting's behaviour towards journalists and his carrying on, on the field. Something Ponting needs to look very closely at, and it's not the first time during his captaincy that his behaviour (or antics) have come under question.

sideshowtim

Banned
It's a crap piece, that's for sure, it's as far from journalism as possible. However, he does make some valid points, for instance Ponting's behaviour towards journalists and his carrying on, on the field. Something Ponting needs to look very closely at, and it's not the first time during his captaincy that his behaviour (or antics) have come under question.
Why should Ponting show respect to journalists who show him not even the slightest ounce of any? The way the journalists acted towards him was disgusting. And carrying on, on the field? What did he do? Look disappointed when a decision didn't go Australia's way at a vital time? Blasphemy!! He's certainly the only captain in world cricket who'd do that!

Mister Wright

Why should Ponting show respect to journalists who show him not even the slightest ounce of any? The way the journalists acted towards him was disgusting. And carrying on, on the field? What did he do? Look disappointed when a decision didn't go Australia's way at a vital time? Blasphemy!! He's certainly the only captain in world cricket who'd do that!
Two wrongs don't make a right. He's the captain of the AUSTRALIAN cricket team not East C4s in Sub-districts. The Australian cricket captain should not be kicking turf and carrying on like a spoilt brat. He should conduct himself with dignity. If he doesn't want to do that, hand back his 1 million a year and I'm sure we can find someone else to do it.

pasag

RTDAS
Calling for his sacking is extreme and just the case of Roebuck wanting to be heard above everyone else while cricket is on the front pages, but as I said earlier, Ponting needs to clean his act up, especially the way he handled the press conference. I would like to see him calming down on the field as well, the times when he looks like he's about to blow up are pretty ugly tbh.