• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

sideshowtim

Banned
Ponting has shown that he is the most mature out of the two captains on this tour. He has handled having his integrity questioned brilliantly when he hasn't done anything wrong at all. He has done nothing that no other person in world cricket wouldn't have done.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
me and my mates want to know why are the indians calling someone with dark skin a monkey? dosent anyone see thre funny side to that
poor comment IMO
Don't know if it's really worth censuring, TBH, because people reading that make their own judgements about the poster, without anyone from the moderation team needing to say anything. Obviously we don't condone it, and it was in very poor taste.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wait- so if a batsman makes a point of always walking he is a "smug asshole", but if he doesn't he's a cheat? Super.
Gilly's "the whole world is watching, champ" comment doesn't quite fit in now though, does it? That is where that particular comment is coming from......

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Were they wrong?

What you give is what you get doesn't work for this one...it's obvious both country's media outlets are going to be biased. It doesn't make what either one says right.
yes they were...

That is the same as saying everything in Australia is based on the color of your skin.....

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Gilly's "the whole world is watching, champ" comment doesn't quite fit in now though, does it? That is where that particular comment is coming from......
Geez, that sanctimonious. A little sly dig to get the batsman thinking about something else other than the next ball.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
yes they were...

That is the same as saying everything in Australia is based on the color of your skin.....
I believe his, "Where they wrong" wasn't in relation to the caste system thing, but about the Australian media outlets making the accusations about Harbhajan.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Don't know if it's really worth censuring, TBH, because people reading that make their own judgements about the poster, without anyone from the moderation team needing to say anything. Obviously we don't condone it, and it was in very poor taste.
(sort of related) Have been giving CricketWeb big ups lately to my mates. My best mate checked out this thread, looking to post his views, and was strongly put off by the "random" moderation. By this he meant the lack of force on one-off flaming posters but the heat on those posting their views that were even slightly controversial.

I myself don't have a strong opinion on the moderation here, but just though I should pass this story across.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
From the single, side-on, slow-motion replay, I saw it clearly brush and hence move the little finger of Dhoni's glove. Every other angle made it look not-out. Unless you had seen this particular angle, there's no doubt would anyone give it a clear not-out. But fair enough on the no question, I'll try and refrain from using such definites. :)
Yeah agreed. There's absolutely no doubt as far as I'm concerned that it brushed his finger, one angle made it very apparent, every other angle was inconclusive.

Anyway it's a moot point as it wasn't given out and it was a very difficult decision.

sideshowtim

Banned
It's easy to be graceful when all the decisions have gone your way.
How much more respect would Kumble have earned if he was gracious in defeat? His stocks would've gone up MASSIVELY. Instead he was sour, bitter and unsportsmanlike in defeat which has definitely tarnished his reputation. I mean, not shaking the hand of the umpires? Accusing the other team of playing outside the spirit of cricket when they clearly haven't, yet one of your own players is facing racism charges? Ridiculous. If anyone should be criticised in the wake of proceedings, it's Kumble not bloody Ponting.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Can anyone add to this?

What about you Son of CoCO?
I've read in more than one place that none of the players, Australian or NZ, on the field that day recall anything remotely resembling the 'choo-choo' sledge occurring. Cairns was, I thought, pretty blunt - he certainly wasn't being diplomatic to try and avoid the issue. IIRC it was something along the lines of "if someone had said that to me, I would have tried to kill them".

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ponting has shown that he is the most mature out of the two captains on this tour. He has handled having his integrity questioned brilliantly when he hasn't done anything wrong at all. He has done nothing that no other person in world cricket wouldn't have done.
indeed... u get a test handed over to you by the umps and then you claim catches that are one bounce and then you come out and say you play your cricket with a lot of integrity... VEry mature indeed... For the unbiased majority, however, it s the captain who has handled himself with a lot of dignity inspite of such an appalling display of umpiring (it was 13 vs 11 at most times in this test) who will be seen as the MATURE one.. But then again, why take off those baggy green tinted glasses, huh? 8-)

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How much more respect would Kumble have earned if he was gracious in defeat? His stocks would've gone up MASSIVELY. Instead he was sour, bitter and unsportsmanlike in defeat which has definitely tarnished his reputation. I mean, not shaking the hand of the umpires? Accusing the other team of playing outside the spirit of cricket when they clearly haven't, yet one of your own players is facing racism charges? Ridiculous. If anyone should be criticised in the wake of proceedings, it's Kumble not bloody Ponting.
You have to give Anil some leeway, he just batted his heart out and saw his side lose a match they didn't deserve to lose and littered with controvery over each of the 5 days. I couldn't blame him for feeling the way he did and for shooting his mouth a bit. Hard to be rational after a match like that.

I didn't criticise Ricky for what he said, it's just all of you guys going on about what a great and mature person he is showing himself to be is pretty funny. Bitching about the pitch in Mumbai? Gary Pratt and the injustice of it all?

His conduct wasn't that impressive either. The dummy spit at the Indian journo for asking him a legitimate question made me think "What a wanker."

sideshowtim

Banned
indeed... u get a test handed over to you by the umps and then you claim catches that are one bounce and then you come out and say you play your cricket with a lot of integrity... VEry mature indeed... For the unbiased majority, however, it s the captain who has handled himself with a lot of dignity inspite of such an appalling display of umpiring (it was 13 vs 11 at most times in this test) who will be seen as the MATURE one.. But then again, why take off those baggy green tinted glasses, huh? 8-)
How can you say basically accusing the other team of cheating and playing outside the spirit of the game and refusing to shake an umpire's hand is carrying yourself with dignity and maturity?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
facing racism charges based on WHAT? Words from the other team who themselves have quite an untarnished record of not playing with too much integrity?????????? Sure, that is conclusive enough evidence. And yes, you DON'T shake hands of people who are supposed to be neutral and who haven't been... And yes, Australia didn't play to the spirit of the game, claiming so many bump ball catches and all, for starters......