• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boucher vs Gilchrist - Wicketkeeping

Laurrz

International Debutant
mmk just thinking.. has Boucher ever kept in front of quicks standing up? Gilly does it to Stuart Clark a lot and McGrath a few times as well (well once i can remember) and even Johnson at times....

i think its more of a recent thing for Gilly (maybe last couple of years)...but interesting

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
South Africa's seamers have been as good as if not better than Australia's.

Australia's spinner has been far, far, far better than South Africa's. And keeping to spin > keeping to seam as a wicketkeeping challenge.

Heck, Stuart MacGill > Nico Boje or Claude Henderson. Or probably even Paul Harris.
LOL @ you making it seem like Paul Harris is possibly as good as Macgill. Thats just ridiculous, even counting your under-estimation of Macca as a bowler.

In regards to who was the better keeper though, I'd say Gilly marginally. He seems to miss a few more chances (dropped catches) than Boucher does, but as has been mentioned, he also did a brilliant job keeping to arguably the greatest spin bowler of all time.

Last edited:

Lord Flasheart

Cricket Spectator
Gilchrist contributes more to the team because of his bat.
I think that Boucher is technically a better keeper but he loses points for not being a walker when he bats.8-)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist contributes more to the team because of his bat.
I think that Boucher is technically a better keeper but he loses points for not being a walker when he bats.8-)
:laugh: Gilchrist is a genually all time great keeper who could almost be mentioned in the same breath as Knott, Taylor, Ames et al, Boucher................isn't...........technically or otherwise.

bond21

Banned
yea and those keepers could almost be mentioned in the same sentence as Healy, not quite.

I dont know how he manages to stand up to the stumps against Clark, McGrath and Bracken, theyre all over 130 km/h ffs and they all get extraordinary bounce because of their height.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LOL @ you making it seem like Paul Harris is possibly as good as Macgill. Thats just ridiculous, even counting your under-estimation of Macca as a bowler.
I'm not really going to make a judgement until we see Harris bowl on some more turning pitches. Obviously, MacGill offers far more on a non-turning surface.

Lord Flasheart

Cricket Spectator
:laugh: Gilchrist is a genually all time great keeper who could almost be mentioned in the same breath as Knott, Taylor, Ames et al, Boucher................isn't...........technically or otherwise.
I remember seeing "Iron Gloves" Gilchrist drop three catches in a short time the other day. Two of them I would have expected Geraint Jones to catch in his sleep. His batting is great and his keeping has improved over the years to the point where it is now passable, let's not get carried away here.

With his keeping skills and his high morals I view him as this century's Greg Dyer.

I admit that was a great catch and appeal to dismiss Dravid the other day, it's like he knew exactly where the ball was going to be after that huge deflection off the edge of Dravid's bat. 8-)

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
mmk just thinking.. has Boucher ever kept in front of quicks standing up? Gilly does it to Stuart Clark a lot and McGrath a few times as well (well once i can remember) and even Johnson at times....

i think its more of a recent thing for Gilly (maybe last couple of years)...but interesting
Numerous times. Pollock, Hall, Cronje and Klusener all had him standing up to the stumps at some stage.

garypleavin

Cricket Spectator
I for one believe that Gilchrist's keeping is very underrated and is unfairly criticised at times probably because he had to follow an almost flawless Ian Healy. He may not be Healy when it comes to keeping but I still rate him a whisker ahead of Boucher.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Numerous times. Pollock, Hall, Cronje and Klusener all had him standing up to the stumps at some stage.
And I defo remember him standing up to Kallis in ODI cricket. Don't really think theres much in the argument that Gilchrists better standing up to the seamers. They're both pretty good TBH.

Boucher is atleast more honest than Gillchrist is. Far better at keeping to pace as well, though Gilly is far better in keeping to spin (where Boucher is attrocious).

shortpitched713

International Captain
I'd say they're about even. Sure Gilly has kept to Warne, but that in itself is no reason to put him above Boucher, especially considering that by Warne's own estimation Healy did it much better.

Prodigy

Cricket Spectator
I think it is boucher. In the time of which Gilchrist has kept, it has been for the best bowling attack in the world. Boucher was always solid with the gloves, while gilchrist has on and off days. I think it comes down to who has less errors, i.e. Dropped catches, fumbled stumpings and fumbled run outs.