• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boucher vs Gilchrist - Wicketkeeping

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Yeah Boucher's really only had paceman to deal with. Gilly should overtake Boucher in a couple of more tests, but keeping to Warne is a big challenge and I think it has made Gilly a better batsman imo. Shame that Sangakarra started keeping to Murali so late, but he will get good experience as good spinners come along.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The pick of the seamers are pretty level when you look at them all together but if you consider Donald retired in 2002, Boucher has had to keep to a much lower standard of second level seamers. For example, Gilchrist kept to Kasprowicz while Boucher kept to the likes of Langeveldt and Zondeki.
Why would Kasprowicz be harded to keep to than Zondeki or Langeveldt, though? He doesn't bowl quicker or get more movement - he's just a more accurate and smarter bowler. I'd think someone with shocking accuracy would actually be harder to keep to.

Quality spin is a bit different. More turn, more variations...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Nope, Healy held it until Boucher broke it late last year. IMO, Gilly to overtake soon due to a glut of upcoming Tests and his superior dismissals/Test ratio, but Boucher to end up with the record as I see him carrying on for long enough after Gilly retires to beat it.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gilchrist won't pass the record if he keeps dropping sitters because he'll be dropped. He's had a shocker of a series against India some regulatoin dismissals for a test keeper have been missed by him and regulation takes also. Time for him to give up imo.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Why would Kasprowicz be harded to keep to than Zondeki or Langeveldt, though? He doesn't bowl quicker or get more movement - he's just a more accurate and smarter bowler. I'd think someone with shocking accuracy would actually be harder to keep to.
Yeah, totally agree with this argument. If anything, it should be a point in Boucher's favor that he kept to lower quality seamers who were more likely to spray the ball around than the seamers that Gilchrist kept to.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Before 2006, I'd say Churchy every time.

Since then, I wouldn't want him playing for Derbyshire (ok, I would, but you know what I mean)

Laurrz

International Debutant
Gilchrist won't pass the record if he keeps dropping sitters because he'll be dropped. He's had a shocker of a series against India some regulatoin dismissals for a test keeper have been missed by him and regulation takes also. Time for him to give up imo.
maybe its just a thing :p nearing 300 he dropped a few.. nearing 400 he dropped a few..and then the record..

Laurrz

International Debutant
Nope, Healy held it until Boucher broke it late last year. IMO, Gilly to overtake soon due to a glut of upcoming Tests and his superior dismissals/Test ratio, but Boucher to end up with the record as I see him carrying on for long enough after Gilly retires to beat it.
scary to tihnk Boucher is around Haddins age