• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbhajan reignites racism storm

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So I'm guessing the words of the players in the end was enough - interesting.
If so, from now on whenever anyone fancies an easy ban for an opposition player all they need do is get themselves into some form of verbal spat then have their team-mates say racial abuse was involved.
I guess it's also possible that Harbhajan stuffed up under questioning or implicated himself. I'll be interested to read whatever details are released about the hearing tomorrow.

One thing that a few people have mentioned is that the cultural differences issue in the wake of all this (coupled with the tit-for-tat charges against Hogg) may well result in a tighter policing of sledging in general.

TBH, I don't think I really see this as a bad thing. I don't really buy the defence that Indians don't appreciate or understand how seriously the monkey/race issue is regarded over here (and by those of African heritage), but one thing I do accept is that terms and expletives that we Australians use frequently is obviously regarded far more seriously on the subcontinent (and other places).

Sometimes when it's your own team doing the talking, it can be a bit of a blind spot - I know that during last year's ODI triseries, I found Paul Nixon's tirades and abuse behind the stumps to be fairly ridiculous, and so did Ian Chappell. I really don't see that losing this is any great sacrifice to make, as it obviously contributes to ill-will between the teams, and it doesn't seem to me to be a grand tradition to enshrine as desirable behaviour for international cricket players. I don't mean remarks like "gonna be a new batsman at the crease soon" or Sangakarra style witticisms, but rubbish like "you're ****, you ****", "Can't ****ing bat, you ******" and the like, where we really are talking about language that in most professional contexts would be regarded as obviously abusive.
I hope so, TBH. Can't stand genuinely abusive personal comments being accepted. Stephen Waugh-style "hey Warnie, Hussain plays with a real open face doesn't he?" is obviously never going to be unacceptible to anyone really. Matthew Hayden-style "c'mon then you ****ing stupid ****, you really reckon you're ****ing good enough to beat us?" most certainly is utterly unacceptible to me, and I'd hope most people.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If so, from now on whenever anyone fancies an easy ban for an opposition player all they need do is get themselves into some form of verbal spat then have their team-mates say racial abuse was involved.
Rubbish. Sounds easy in theory, in practice and under questioning, cracks in stories between multiple people always appear.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How about if alibis had been carefully concocted beforehand?

I'm no police investigative officer unlike some people, of course, but do you really think it impossible?

archie mac

International Coach
I don't know if we will ever hear the full story, I hope we get some idea of what happened soon

Still think the Aussies could have handled it like men, and asked for an official warning or a suspended sentence

I can't help thinking it is a pay back for DL:ph34r:

Top_Cat

How about if alibis had been carefully concocted beforehand?

I'm no police investigative officer unlike some people, of course, but do you really think it impossible?
'course not but so unlikely that it may as well be. Obviously, the particulars of getting right details in a criminal offence are far more complex than an incident on a sporting field but still, a run-of-the-mill investigator can usually dig out enough inconsistencies between two people who are lying to at least question their stories. There are very few people who are really, really good at lying.

JBH001

International Regular
The Harbhajan banning is a complete farce. If I said I was there at the Mumbai ODI, and that there was absolutely no racist abuse in Mumbai apart from the three filmed doing it, and there are ten thousand people who'd back me up, would you believe me or would you reserve your judgement? Why can't the same cynicism be applied to the Aussies who testified? Even if you were to believe me, wouldn't you feel stupid if Arjun came to this thread tomorrow and completely falsified my claims? If Proctor is to be believed, and the umpires really didn't hear what was said, Harbhajan should've been acquitted. No two ways about it.
Agree with the above.

I cant comment on the statements regarding Indian crowd behaviour as I dont know much about crowd behaviour over there, although they certainly are interesting and illuminating (especially if true).

But as to Harbhajan being found guilty? I am completely flabbergasted. The only way I can think this has occurred is if there is something else we have not been told (some sort of extra evidence or some such). However, if this is not the case, then there is no way that the word of the Australian team should be held as inviolable and dripping with integrity.

Its complete stupidity, not to mention totally unfair to another player and the opposing team. The more the aftermath of this test unrolls the more it appears as a complete, utter, and ludicrous farce. GG Officialdom _b

Edit/ Should be interesting to see the outcome of the appeal. And what happens if it fails.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
'course not but so unlikely that it may as well be. Obviously, the particulars of getting right details in a criminal offence are far more complex than an incident on a sporting field but still, a run-of-the-mill investigator can usually dig out enough inconsistencies between two people who are lying to at least question their stories. There are very few people who are really, really good at lying.
ITSTL.

Guess I just don't put this lying lark into practice enough really. :D Nor, better still, have I ever needed to.

JBH001

International Regular
Thats assuming that the same standard of rigour is brought to this (deliberated over and settled in an evening by one man, afaik) as is brought into a proper legal/judicial investigation.

Top_Cat

Thats assuming that the same standard of rigour is brought to this (deliberated over and settled in an evening by one man, afaik) as is brought into a proper legal/judicial investigation.
Only serious criminal offences (major indictables) aren't presided over by one person in this country. Yes, they're a judge but what's a judge other than a really experienced lawyer? Mike Proctor is a vastly experienced cricket administrator and match referee so it's no surprise he'd be put in this sort of position.

JBH001

International Regular
Maybe, but you are calling on a different set of skill sets.

Proctor is clearly not a lawyer, a judge, a police officer, or even a psychologist or a psychiatrist. He is, as you clearly point out, a match referee (which involves watching games and making sure that they accord with basic ICC regulations) and an administrator who in his previous incarnation was a professional cricket player. I fail to see how this qualifies him to adequately sift and filter through varying accounts of an incident, especially such a heated and disputed one where both parties have their own axes to grind. Furthermore, after a brief check online (you are welcome to clarify this and correct me if I am wrong) there is nothing in his background outside cricket to give grounds to even suppose that he has the expertise or the experience to do what you imply he did, all in just a few hours in one evening.

Sorry, but I think you argument here is on very shaky ground.

Top_Cat

aybe, but you are calling on a different set of skill sets.

Proctor is clearly not a lawyer, a judge, a police officer, or even a psychologist or a psychiatrist. He is, as you clearly point out, a match referee (which involves watching games and making sure that they accord with basic ICC regulations) and an administrator who in his previous incarnation was a professional cricket player. I fail to see how this qualifies him to adequately sift and filter through varying accounts of an incident, especially such a heated and disputed one where both parties have their own axes to grind. Furthermore, after a brief check online (you are welcome to clarify this and correct me if I am wrong) there is nothing in his background outside cricket to give grounds to even suppose that he has the expertise or the experience to do what you imply he did, all in just a few hours in one evening.
Then why does the ICC just not appoint lawyers for instances like this? If it was a huge problem, it would have shown up before now as match referees have been in effect for years. Because experience in the field matters more than the ability to strictly adhere to legal protocol. The rules aren't so difficult to uphold because, legally, they're not all that complex so it comes down to the ability to understand the context which is where someone like Proctor or similarly experienced person in the field comes into it. It's not as if the Indians are questioning the basis of the rules themselves; that's where lawyers come into it. Just applying the laws isn't all that hard, a lawyer or judge doing it would be overkill.

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
So, where do they go from here?
Harby banned ( subject to appeal I have no doubt). What promised to be a stand out series may well degenerate into into a handbagging session of epic proportions.

Not sure what the solution is, but I think that Kumble, Ponting and the match referee need to get together in a quiet room with no-one else and have a no-holds barred talk about what has gone on - no witnesses, no notes taken.

Then, both sides have to come out at the WACA and play the game hard but fair.

JBH001

International Regular
Then why does the ICC just not appoint lawyers for instances like this? If it was a huge problem, it would have shown up before now as match referees have been in effect for years. Because experience in the field matters more than the ability to strictly adhere to legal protocol. The rules aren't so difficult to uphold because, legally, they're not all that complex so it comes down to the ability to understand the context which is where someone like Proctor or similarly experienced person in the field comes into it. It's not as if the Indians are questioning the basis of the rules themselves; that's where lawyers come into it. Just applying the laws isn't all that hard, a lawyer or judge doing it would be overkill.
The point was your analogy to a criminal or other legal process. The analogy is clearly wrong and misplaced as the two scenarios and processes are fundamentally different. Therefore, as I said earlier, the rigour that usually applies in the judicial context has no hope of applying here. Therefore seeking to support this decision by reference to judicial processes is mistaken, at best. It was also mistaken because it appealed to a skill set that Procter does not possess, either by expertise or by experience.

Furthermore, it needs to be clarified what is meant by 'experience in the field'. Basically, what experience? And, which field? The usual run of the mill referee does little in the course of a series. Anything he is brought up to adjudicate is usually along the lines of players showing disagreement with umpiring decisions, and tacking the issue of players taking the laws of the game to the very edge and beyond. Again, the context of experience is fundamentally different, and Procters experience in whatever field is either too light or has little or no relevance in this instance, which is about a far more serious charge than the usual transgressions of cricketers in the course of play.

Therefore, it sadly may well (and should imo) come down to lawyers due to the severity of the charge and the complete lack of corroborating evidence (besides the word of players who undisputably have a vested interest in the outcome). As I said, I think your defense of the decision rather weak, and Harbhajan certainly has considerable grounds for believing himself hard done by (even if he did mouth a racial slur at Symonds).

Top_Cat

The point was your analogy to a criminal or other legal process. The analogy is clearly wrong and misplaced as the two scenarios and processes are fundamentally different. Therefore, as I said earlier, the rigour that usually applies in the judicial context has no hope of applying here. Therefore seeking to support this decision by reference to judicial processes is mistaken, at best. It was also mistaken because it appealed to a skill set that Procter does not possess, either by expertise or by experience.
Eh? I wasn't making an anology to a specific judicial process only that the same standards of evidence gathering, legal process, etc. would apply.

There are a ton of examples where someone of legal standing (who isn't a lawyer) is called upon to arbitrate between two aggrieved parties. It's treated as if a legal process but it's eminantly challengeable. Small scale disputes here are handled by local council members between residents for example. The hearing is set up as per a legal process and the results are legally binding but the person arbitrating doesn't not necessarily have legal training. The persons can bring lawyers who may then question the ruling or appeal to a higher court to affect the legislation being used in the ruling but either way, there's not necessarily someone with legal training involved. Same with just about an internal review/arbitration. Police internal reviews, for example, have no qualification required other than a Police background to administrate. Proctor's position is limited legally which means it doesn't require legal training but would require an extensive knowledge of cricket in general, administrative procedures, etc. Something he amply covers.

Furthermore, it needs to be clarified what is meant by 'experience in the field'. Basically, what experience? And, which field?
Experience in arbitration on cricket matters? Proctor, whether you agree with his decisions or not, is well qualified as he's been a match referee for many years now.

Therefore, it sadly may well (and should imo) come down to lawyers due to the severity of the charge and the complete lack of corroborating evidence (besides the word of players who undisputably have a vested interest in the outcome). As I said, I think your defense of the decision rather weak, and Harbhajan certainly has considerable grounds for believing himself hard done by (even if he did mouth a racial slur at Symonds).
It's not a defense of his decision as much as acknowledgement of reality. This system of arbitration is applicable in a wide variety of contexts so whether you agree with it or not, it's everywhere. As it happens, these sorts of processes can be (and should be able to be) challenged legally. I'm just reacting to peoples' assertions that the sort of evidence presented isn't good enough because there was no recording of what he said. Well, actually it is and that sort of corroborative evidence is just fine in even a criminal context and was obviously good enough to satisfy the conditions to the charge that Proctor had to apply. It's not as if the BCCI has no further recourse if they believe there are wider issues that need to be addressed, just like any arbitration process. Like I said, Proctor just applies the rules and looks for fairly limited types of info to support a charge.

If BCCI wants the rules changed or any aspect of satisfactory evidence, etc., let them fight it out in the proper forum because this one, owing to the fact that Proctor isn't a judge, can't effect change in legislation, etc., this ain't it. I find it somewhat difficult to believe that the BCCI had no opportunity to address these sorts of things when the rules themselves and match referees were enacted. The persons who created these rules had a vested interest in ensuring that they hold up to legal scrutiny as far as they can otherwise every decision would get referred upwards.

I don't think he should have been banned either but the assertion that the corroboration of five witnesses, even notwithstanding the fact they play for the same team, isn't enough without a recording of some sort is rubbish. If any legal process relied solely upon objective evidence to establish an offence, the already pathetic conviction rate for ***ual assaults would probably halve at least.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
My two penny worth on this jumbled up mass of issues

1. Is calling someone a monkey offensive enough to warrant a ban or be called rasicm since in India we do not think so etc etc etc ?
It doesn't matter what we call anyone at home. This excuse can not be used for the next hundred years. Once at Vadodara is enough. After that once it is made clear that Symonds himself and others find this offensive since they think it is used on account of his ethnic origin it should not be used. Not by Bhajji, not by crowds, no one. The hurt is caused to the person who feels insulted so it is his/her perceptions that determine what constitutes a slur. Once those perceptions are known and made clear, any excuse of your own perception being different is just that, an excuse and a lame one at that.

2. If you are provoked, aren't you bound to react ?
Sure. But the ban is not for provocation, its for breaking a laid down law. Its for committing an offense which is well spelt out and for which there has already been a major precedent. If those who provoked also broke any law they should also be punished. The grouse can be if they are reported, found guilty and not punished. Response in kind is not a substitute for punishment by adjudicators.

3. Isn't the ban too harsh for just calling someone a monkey?
No. The ban is NOT too much for someone using racially abusive language which has been pointed out already with a precedent. It is too mild. A longer ban is warranted for all such racial abuse and other offensive abuse.

4. Who decides what is to decide what is offensive language? Thats a tough one. The Australians have opened a Pandora of boxes and this is going to lead to some tough times ahead for Australians themselves unless they discover the virtues of silence like the Buddhist monks. We haven't heard the last of this issue.

5. Is Harbhajan guilty ?
Who knows? I don't. Maybe he is. He is the kind of hot-head who could say it but I certainly don't know if he really did. I wonder how so many here know so confidently that he is (guilty) and so many others know equally confidently that he isn't. I am afraid that unlike them, I did not hear anything myself and haven't heard anyone I trust implicitly tell me he has. I do not know what transpired at the hearing and am still awaiting the morning papers but its unlikely they will enlighten me further. I know one thing though, I would not take, in this matter, one set of players words against another set irrespective of which country they came from. At 58 (almost) I have seen enough of life not to use this short cut on such an emotional issue. If that is all that has been used here, we may have a travesty of justice - at least of the due process of justice which is as bad for everyone except the players involved themselves.

[PS : Apologies to those who may have read this on another forum where I posted it but i to cut and paste it saves so much trouble rather than repeat all the typing :)