• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boucher vs Gilchrist - Wicketkeeping

ozone

First Class Debutant
Right, so with these two likely to be exchanging the lead for the highest number of test dismissals until one of them retires, I was wondering which one is considered the more talented wicket-keeper. The stats (Test Match Only) are:

Boucher - 391/19 (total = 410) in 104 tests
Gilchrist - 367/37 (total = 404) in 94 tests

Thoughts?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Clearly Gilchrist as he has kept well to top quality spin for a considerable period.

Boucher has not had the opportunity to show such ability.

ozone

First Class Debutant
I wouldn't say it was that straight forward. It is hard to remember Boucher having a bad day with the gloves whereas Gilchrists goes through spells where he doesn't keep well. In addition to this, Gilchrist has had far better bowlers to keep to (seamers) and so you may also expect him to have much more dismissals as there are more chances being created.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Both have done the jobs asked of them supremely well.

Gilchrist has had the opportunity to do jobs Boucher has not.

Ergo, Gilchrist has had the chance to prove himself a better wicketkeeper.

I'd imagine Boucher probably misses marginally fewer chances to the seamers, though, other than in England.

Agent TBY

International Captain
I wouldn't say it was that straight forward. It is hard to remember Boucher having a bad day with the gloves whereas Gilchrists goes through spells where he doesn't keep well. In addition to this, Gilchrist has had far better bowlers to keep to (seamers) and so you may also expect him to have much more dismissals as there are more chances being created.
I don't think the gulf is that large, tbh. Donald/Pollock/Ntini and McGrath/Fleming/Gillespie/Lee.

Not much in it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
South Africa's seamers have been as good as if not better than Australia's.

Australia's spinner has been far, far, far better than South Africa's. And keeping to spin > keeping to seam as a wicketkeeping challenge.

Heck, Stuart MacGill > Nico Boje or Claude Henderson. Or probably even Paul Harris.

ozone

First Class Debutant
I don't think the gulf is that large, tbh. Donald/Pollock/Ntini and McGrath/Fleming/Gillespie/Lee.

Not much in it.
The pick of the seamers are pretty level when you look at them all together but if you consider Donald retired in 2002, Boucher has had to keep to a much lower standard of second level seamers. For example, Gilchrist kept to Kasprowicz while Boucher kept to the likes of Langeveldt and Zondeki.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The pick of the seamers are pretty level when you look at them all together but if you consider Donald retired in 2002, Boucher has had to keep to a much lower standard of second level seamers. For example, Gilchrist kept to Kasprowicz while Boucher kept to the likes of Langeveldt and Zondeki.
Zondeki's only played 3 or 4 Tests so far. And most of the rest of South Africa's back-up seamers were the likes of David Terbrugge and other, to borrow a recent phrase, insanely under-appreciated bowlers.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Zondeki's only played 3 or 4 Tests so far. And most of the rest of South Africa's back-up seamers were the likes of David Terbrugge and other, to borrow a recent phrase, insanely under-appreciated bowlers.
But not, IMO, the same standard as Kasprowicz and the other Aussie back-ups.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So he's had the chance to show everyone how good he is, and he has taken it.
OK that's better. I agree that he's done very well against Warne and the quicks.

Unfortunately with Boucher I always remember him in the 2003 World Cup in South Africa where he was out of form and dropped a few sitters. I know that's one day cricket though.

I like Boucher, think he's underrated, but I would go for Gilly just..

ozone

First Class Debutant
David Terbrugge was at least as good as Kasprowicz IMO.

Nantie Hayward > Brett Lee for most of their careers too.
Ignore Lee, me and you have already discussed him on the Brett Lee thread but FTR I disagree.

As for David Terbrugge, IIRC, injury has meant he has only played a few games for SA and so saying he is as good as Kasprowicz is not really feesable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kasprowicz's Test career was a better one, but as far as backup seamers go, there's nothing between 'em.

taitmachine

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I would not say Gilli is the most talented keeper in the world - he has worked very hard with what hes got. His batting just makes him an absolutes stand out. His keeping record is great - so many dismissals but he has had many great bowlers to keep to that provide him with many more oppurtunities. The best keeper for many years while Gillie has been around was Darren Berry, possibly would have been the best keeper in the world talent wise, but these days you need to be able to bat very well so the best keepers are no longer playing test cricket.

I have not seen enough of Boucher to say he is definitely better but he has been very consistent over the years.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would not say Gilli is the most talented keeper in the world - he has worked very hard with what hes got. His batting just makes him an absolutes stand out. His keeping record is great - so many dismissals but he has had many great bowlers to keep to that provide him with many more oppurtunities. The best keeper for many years while Gillie has been around was Darren Berry, possibly would have been the best keeper in the world talent wise, but these days you need to be able to bat very well so the best keepers are no longer playing test cricket.
Wade Seccombe in a similar situation.