• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia didn't play the Sydney test in the true spirit of the game?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
look if there are far more indian supporters at the WC than there were australians when indians had left the tournament than that means that there are more indias playing tha game
No. It's almost impossible for the vast majority to afford proper equipment, or have available the appropriate grounds to play in.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
thats the same here in australia, if you arent good enough to make it into the the australian team you arent going to make much money.There is no doubting that australia has a advantige by the fact that it is a more developed country but india have a massieve advantige as they have a much bigger pop and cricket is the number 1 sport over there, i mean shane warne was never interested in playing cricket as he wanted to play football
Yes, but there is infrastructure in place to make sure that if you don't make it, you can still make a career for yourself. There isn't that same infrastructure in India, hence the pursuit of a professional sporting career is much more risky.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
thats the same here in australia, if you arent good enough to make it into the the australian team you arent going to make much money.There is no doubting that australia has a advantige by the fact that it is a more developed country but india have a massieve advantige as they have a much bigger pop and cricket is the number 1 sport over there, i mean shane warne was never interested in playing cricket as he wanted to play football
Any population "advantage" is more than offset by poverty, lack of resources and a cultural fear of deviating from the tried and tested road to success ie education.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Kumble, Please stop it and be little more gracious in defeat, You sound like a sore loser. It was a tough loss and I can understand that but Australia earned it in the end. They are not responsible for umpiring mistakes, they were on the receiving end as well.

This is not the first time umpires have made some mistakes. It is clearly overstated here. India's famous win in Kolkata 2001 was really poor and heavily biased umpring and Steve Waugh didn't say a single word. Every one claims close catches, so let's not single out Ponting and his team.

As for the spirit of the game and all that..Please stop it. Your team mate was guilty of racial abuse and other team mates were supporting him. No sport is bigger than humanity. You need to learn and teach your team mates humanity before you talk about Spirit of the game.

Clearly have lost a lot of respect for him.

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yes, but there is infrastructure in place to make sure that if you don't make it, you can still make a career for yourself. There isn't that same infrastructure in India, hence the pursuit of a professional sporting career is much more risky.
I agree with what you are saying but i think at the end of the day you will find that india hold the advantige, very few young australians want to grow up to be cricketers as i have said they mostly want to play footy and than you have the population factor

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
Any population "advantage" is more than offset by poverty, lack of resources and a cultural fear of deviating from the tried and tested road to success ie education.
the larger you population the more talent you have to choose from, look if cricket was australian number 1 sport like it is in india I would agree that australia but becaue its not I beleive that india have the advantige

duffer

the larger you population the more talent you have to choose from, look if cricket was australian number 1 sport like it is in india I would agree that australia but becaue its not I beleive that india have the advantige
That's too simplistic. Social,economical and cultural factors are more relevant than merely population.

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
That's too simplistic. Social,economical and cultural factors are more relevant than merely population.
no its not because at the enof the day due to indias population they will have a larger pool of talent to select from even after you have taken into consideration those factors

china has a larger population and they always seem to do well at the olympic games, surley thats due to there population size

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
no its not because at the enof the day due to indias population they will have a larger pool of talent to select from even after you have taken into consideration those factors

china has a larger population and they always seem to do well at the olympic games, surley thats due to there population size
No, its due to their government taking hundreds of kids at age seven and putting them into sports schools with the sole purpose of making them into little olympic winning robots.

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
No, its due to their government taking hundreds of kids at age seven and putting them into sports schools with the sole purpose of making them into little olympic winning robots.

you guys seem to full of alot of excuses, perhaps that is just the diffrence between australia and india.Australia arent interested in excuses they just get on with the job

duffer

you guys seem to full of alot of excuses, perhaps that is just the diffrence between australia and india.Australia arent interested in excuses they just get on with the job
Not excuses, reasons. You just don't seem to understand how irrelevant population is.

kthnxbye

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I dunno. Perhaps aspects of Indian society would do much better with a more authoritarian hand guiding their destiny.

Then again, it'd be interesting to see how many of these athletes from China suffer from repeated nervous breakdowns in their thirties.
They don't care about you after you've either not made it, or are done with your career.

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
Regarding the 'catch', I think Ponting wants to have a sytem where the fielder can be trusted. He admitted he grassed Dravid in the first innings when his team mates were already celebrating, and then when Pup said he caught Ganguly he was more than happy to take his word for it.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Regarding the 'catch', I think Ponting wants to have a sytem where the fielder can be trusted. He admitted he grassed Dravid in the first innings when his team mates were already celebrating, and then when Pup said he caught Ganguly he was more than happy to take his word for it.
Probably not going to happen after this match/series due to the example set by Ponting himself (referring to Dhoni appeal, Clarke was not the only controversial one). Kumble at the begining of this series had agreed to that, but would take a sucker will ever fall for it again (certainly dont want any Indian captain agreeing to it).

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's actually quite amusing to see Indians whining about umpires considering what touring teams had to put up with in the past in India, particularly in the days of Bedi, Chandra etc. There was one occasion when a sub close in fielder took about 7 catches and only two of them were genuine dismissals.