• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia didn't play the Sydney test in the true spirit of the game?

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah wow, you can beat thrid world countires with a fraction of the sporting infrastructure. How awesome are you.
with a pop of 1 billion whos number 1 sport is cricket, most aussies number 1 sport is one of the football codes, so yes it is a top effort

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Funny how people all of a sudden forget Ponting saying he didn't take a catch at a crucial time in India's first innings...
Yep, you've got to give the man credit. He's got this selective cheating off to a fine art. Things are bound to be a lot better under Clarke though.....Oh, hang on a minute...

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
with a pop of 1 billion whos number 1 sport is cricket, most aussies number 1 sport is one of the football codes, so yes it is a top effort
Erm, you do realise that sport isn't seen as a viable career option for 99% of Indians and is thus discouraged at every opportunity by parents. Obviously, the fact that so much of the country is below the poverty line and have bigger things to worry about doesn't contribute either.

If Indians took sport as seriously as we do here, especially cricket, there'd be no contest.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
both Clarke and Ponting would never claim the catch if they didn't think the caught it.
Dead right. Clarke had already demonstrated his absolute integrity when he immediately walked after hitting the cover off the ball.....Oh, just a sec...

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
Erm, you do realise that sport isn't seen as a viable career option for 99% of Indians and is thus discouraged at every opportunity by parents. Obviously, the fact that so much of the country is below the poverty line and have bigger things to worry about doesn't contribute either.

If Indians took sport as seriously as we do here, especially cricket, there'd be no contest.
you obviously didnt go to the world cup earlier last year did you? there were far more indians there than aussies and india werent even in the comp by the time i got there, you are thinking of the way india was about 20 years ago they are live for cricket over there, something like 70-80% of the ICC total revenue comes just from india

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
I must say that i did enjoy todays game, it was getting kind of boring seeing the aussies win every game with such ease, I hope that india can play that well in the next test

duffer

you obviously didnt go to the world cup earlier last year did you? there were far more indians there than aussies and india werent even in the comp by the time i got there, you are thinking of the way india was about 20 years ago they are live for cricket over there, something like 70-80% of the ICC total revenue comes just from india
No but I've been to India where culturally sports aren't encouraged as a career option. They love watching their cricket but not many people who have talent in it pursue it. That's the whole point why saying they have 1 billion people doesn't really prove anything.

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
No but I've been to India where culturally sports aren't encouraged as a career option. They love watching their cricket but not many people who have talent in it pursue it. That's the whole point why saying they have 1 billion people doesn't really prove anything.
Iff all those indian supporters have the money to fly over to the west indies and to soth africa than some how I dant think there families are going to starve iff there kids decide to play some cricket, thats rubbish about sports not being encouraged I havent been to india but i have lost of indian friends who say people play cricket everywhere over there, what you say makes no sense at all

social

Iff all those indian supporters have the money to fly over to the west indies and to soth africa than some how I dant think there families are going to starve iff there kids decide to play some cricket, thats rubbish about sports not being encouraged I havent been to india but i have lost of indian friends who say people play cricket everywhere over there, what you say makes no sense at all
More than 99% of the wealth is held by less than 1% of the population and being anything other than a test cricketer wasnt a career option until very recently - do the math

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The point is that it's not encouraged that people pursue it as a career. People play in the streets and that, yes - because they can do that after they finish work. In many cases, it's too risky in India to prioritise actively pursuing a career as a professional sportsperson, because it doesn't allow you to study and will only provide you with an occupation for a limited amount of time. Of course, similar perils are in all countries, but they are further exacerbated in India, where due to the size of the population, competition for jobs and positions in schools/universities/courses is higher than most places.

duffer

You know nothing about India. One day go there and see what it's like and see how so many people have to live. Yes, there are rich Indians who can fly everywhere and watch cricket matches but you will see just how much of a minority they are if you went there.

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
The point is that it's not encouraged that people pursue it as a career. People play in the streets and that, yes - because they can do that after they finish work. In many cases, it's too risky in India to prioritise actively pursuing a career as a professional sportsperson, because it doesn't allow you to study and will only provide you with an occupation for a limited amount of time. Of course, similar perils are in all countries, but they are further exacerbated in India, where due to the size of the population, competition for jobs and positions in schools/universities/courses is higher than most places.
thats the same here in australia, if you arent good enough to make it into the the australian team you arent going to make much money.There is no doubting that australia has a advantige by the fact that it is a more developed country but india have a massieve advantige as they have a much bigger pop and cricket is the number 1 sport over there, i mean shane warne was never interested in playing cricket as he wanted to play football

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
You know nothing about India. One day go there and see what it's like and see how so many people have to live. Yes, there are rich Indians who can fly everywhere and watch cricket matches but you will see just how much of a minority they are if you went there.
look if there are far more indian supporters at the WC than there were australians when indians had left the tournament than that means that there are more indias playing tha game