• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
INDIA has been dudded. No-one with the slightest enthusiasm for cricket will take the least satisfaction from the victory secured by the local team in an SCG Test match that entertained spectators at the ground, provided some excellent batting but left a sour taste in the mouth. It was a match that will have been relished only by rabid nationalists and others for whom victory and vengeance are the sole reasons for playing sport. Truth to tell the last day was as bad as the first. It was a rotten contest that singularly failed to elevate the spirit.
Roebuck

jeevan

International 12th Man
I wonder if we'll see a Ponting re-enactment of "Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?"

Bastard is so inoffensive that it even gets through CW's strict filter!
So apparently does the word monkey.

Would it be funny if Kumble says at the hearing "This monkey Harbhajan did not call Mr Symonds a monkey"

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its not that late where you're at, is it Goughy?

If so, I heard those no-doz tablets do the trick.

tooextracool

International Coach
Its funny to hear the captains of 2 teams, neither of which can play in the spirit of the game,accusing each other of being poor in that respect. Kumble for one is probably even worse than Warne when it comes to appealing and pressurising umpires when it comes to making decisions even when it is fairly obvious to to those in the pavillion that it isnt out.

As far as the Aussies are concerned, I have little doubt in my mind that Ponting is and always has been nothing but an absolute asshole. Why on earth anyone is supposed to believe him when it comes to anything is beyond me, hes had double standards when it comes to anything hes ever said. Theres no reason for me to take anything that hes ever said with a grain of salt. Its this constant whinging and double standards that he sets that makes people dislike him all around the world outside of Australia where he is idolised.

I also have considerably less respect for Adam Gilchrist after this game. If he really believes that he sets the bar high by walking when hes out then appealing for something that is clearly not out is downright ridiculous. On the whole this game has been a farce from ball 1, and if anyone thinks that the result was fair they should along with Bucknor get their eyes checked. 2 Australians who went on to get big scores should have been out very early in their inning while 2 indians who would probably have scored big were prevented from doing so as a result of shocking umpiring. Its about time that technology is brought into the game.

pup11

International Coach
That's the whole bleedin' point, isn't it? India and other teams have been screaming hoarse about the sledging from the Aussies for years now. They have found it insulting, cause there's no "matey" culture in India where such things are taken lightly. Yet, the Australians say that "all that's said on the field should stay on it" and therefore try to smother all attempts to put an end to the rude banter. It may be a culturally acceptable thing to call someone a bastard on the field for whatever reasons in Australia - but it isn't in India. And you can't possibly push around your own cultural practices on the field and expect everyone to stick by them. That's not merely rude in the specific aspect of what is said but also incredibly inconsiderate looking at the bigger picture of cricket as a global sport. Indians don't understand "friendly jabs" and that sort of humour - it's not a part of their culture. It's incredibly disrespectful of the Aussies to impose it on them.

They're trying to claim "look, Harbhy is a silly guy who said something stupid but so do you Aussies all the time, and we're sick of it". I don't condone racism, but nothing wrong with that.
Mate i respect your views and i don't disagree with you and what you trying to put across, but you are just not getting the plot are you.
I agree the Aussie chirp a bit when they are out there and since their body-language is so intense and aggressive that even if they say something light-hearted, it comes across as if they have just said something nasty to the opposition player.
If the Australian players would have said something really nasty the opposition players would surely have reported the incident (and if they are not doing it then they are just encouraging such a thing), so i think the whole Australian sledging issue gets a bit blow out of proportion.
The thing is if an Aussie calls you a bastard, then either you say something back that could put an end to his banter or if you aren't that witty, then just walk upto that certain player and seriously tell him to cut the crap and if he still doesn't stop doing it then report about it, but FFS there is no excuse to start racially abusing anyone because its probably the worst form of insult one can produce.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Funniest thing I've ever seen on a cricket field:

Symonds patting Bucknor on the back after the over in which he received Dravid's wicket on a plate.

Sums it up for me.
I was about to mention it.... yeah that incident sums it up pretty well.... any Australian fan here has the balls to explain that incident?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The thing is if an Aussie calls you a bastard, then either you say something back that could put an end to his banter or if you aren't that witty, then just walk upto that certain player and seriously tell him to cut the crap and if he still doesn't stop doing it then report about it, but FFS there is no excuse to start racially abusing anyone because its probably the worst form of insult one produce.
When I go for a beer in my local (The Porterhouse in Dublin), the (Aussie) barman always says something like "What are you having, you Pommie bastard?"

I generally retort with something like "A loaf of bread and a sheep, just like your Grandad had".

I understand perfectly that what he says is in jest, and I take it that way, and likewise he takes my comments with a pinch of salt. That's because we know each other and are mates.

The problem with many things said on the field of play is that it's difficult to know where the line is, and when that line has been crossed.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I was about to mention it.... yeah that incident sums it up pretty well.... any Australian fan here has the balls to explain that incident?
What is there to explain? Oh, you mean how Symonds was congratulating him on a job well done, and informing him that he'd be recieving his payoff in a brown paper bag behind Maccas down the road? Yeah, that's what it was about. Bloody Australians, always cheating, that's why they win you know.

Anyway, I disagree with Roebuck that it was a "rotten contest". It was in fact a wonderful contest, it was simply tarnished by poor umpiring throughout. There's no denying the quality of the cricket or the finish. If the umpiring had been better it would have been one of the greatest tests of recent history.

pup11

International Coach
Ok all the guys who are blasting Bucknor and saying how he has such an Australian bias, then correct if i am wrong isn't he the same idiot who made Australia bowl virtually in pitch black darkness (or told them to comeback on the reserve day to complete the overs) in the world cup final when Australia had won the game on D/L.
This clearly shows that the man is just not good enough to stand as an umpire in international games, and obviously Symonds was patting his back because he virtually has helped Symonds in cementing a place in the test-side, with all the diabolical decisions he made.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I saw it - I imagine it was a bit of commiseration and sympathy from Symonds, given the flak (and I'm not saying it was undeserved at all) Bucknor has taken over the last few days, with obviously Symonds being a major beneficiary (though he's clearly had a hard time of it over this test also, for various reasons). Or maybe he does that fairly often, it's not that rare to see a gesture of friendliness between a player and an umpire - you'll occasionally see it as a conciliatory gesture when a player hasn't got a call they wanted.

But really, your question just has my eyes rolling. Obviously Jono is using it as a visual symbol, but are you seriously insinuating something improper by the gesture? Symonds paid off the umpire and was saying thanks? Symonds has Bucknor's daughter locked in a dungeon and was letting the umpire know he'd made the "wisest" decision? Honestly, I don't know why some of you guys so invested in conspiracy theories follow the game. If I genuinely thought that umpires were out there deliberately awarding decisions as favors or because they've been paid off or whatever, I think I'd spend my time doing something else... Maybe whittling.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What is there to explain? Oh, you mean how Symonds was congratulating him on a job well done, and informing him that he'd be recieving his payoff in a brown paper bag behind Maccas down the road? Yeah, that's what it was about. Bloody Australians, always cheating, that's why they win you know.
Glad you said it. Imagine the backlash if an Indian had done so.