• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia didn't play the Sydney test in the true spirit of the game?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Nah he only did it because someone told him to. Conspiracy I tell you!

Perhaps should have put a 'If condition X is met, then......' before my post where;

x = Kumble refused to shake any umpires' hands after the match.

Too late to claim my account was hacked by JustTool?
Personally after the umpiring performance of that match, I would need to cool down before shaking their hands as well. If it was one or two bad decisions then fair enough, but there was a string of them each day. Don't blame him for not shaking their hands straight away.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Says the guy who refused to shake the hand of an umpire afterwards. Even the most vehement and blustery coaches in American baseball, even after they've had a nose-to-nose argument with them, shake hands after the game because it's an acknowledgment that even if they've made mistakes, that's all they were; mistakes. This sort of hooplah makes me wonder whether Kumble has bought into the conspiracy hype.

I've always been a big fan of Kumble and I'm prepared to believe he just made a mistake in the heat of the moment but to infer that India was the only team playing in the right spirit is a bit nasty. Blaming the umpires makes it worse too; it's not as if India didn't get enough luck go their way against England over there. They sure enjoyed that series win and I don't think the Auissie should be in any way apologetic for doing the same (aside from the Dravid dismissal; that was poor form by Gillie I reckon).
Did you really watch that series.
Taufel had to apologise after giving dravid and sachin out wrongly and very badly at that.
I think you only have heard about one decision that came sreesanth's way and saved the first match but it came about because he had given dravid wrongly out first.

Kumble is spot on in his comments and not shaking the hands of umpires.Though,i would have liked him to be more aggressive in his choice of words.
10 blatant calls going against you cannot be considered as mistakes by even the most rational and bucknor has done it before too.
Ponting and the aussies did not do themselves any favours by sledging,not walking and then possibly falsily complaining.To top it out they over appealed today and put pressure on umpires and claimed catches which were not caught.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
correct me if im wrong but i thought i heard Kumble agree to the fielders word whether they catch it or not
But he did not factor in aussies going to any length to win and lie about it.
clarke clearly tocuhed the ball on the ground after the turn.now should not he be punished for lying?
Ponting claimed a catch in taking which he rubbed the ball on the ground.

That might be sportsman spirit for the aussies but not for indians.
Ganguly handled it beautifully the last time we came over by making bold statements and Playing naughty with steve waugh.But kumble is too fair to realise it.

pasag

RTDAS
Very harsh from Kumble I reckon, even if you say Clarke and Ponting for that matter dropped those catches, I think it's unfair to say they claimed it knowing they'd dropped it.

I thought the spirit displayed throughout the Test was on par with most series and certainly not out of the ordinary. I think he might be holding Australia accountable for the poor umpiring decisions and venting his anger at the wrong party. It's hardly Australia's fault that the umpiring was so ridiculously in their favour and he's picked the wrong villains here imo.

LaConnect

Cricket Spectator
But he did not factor in aussies going to any length to win and lie about it.
clarke clearly tocuhed the ball on the ground after the turn.now should not he be punished for lying?
Ponting claimed a catch in taking which he rubbed the ball on the ground.

That might be sportsman spirit for the aussies but not for indians.
Ganguly handled it beautifully the last time we came over by making bold statements and Playing naughty with steve waugh.But kumble is too fair to realise it.
I agree with you and with Kumble. I used to want my team to win, now I want them to learn a little humility and learn that principal is more important than cricket.

This is supposed to be a great team, yet umpire blunders go 90% in their favour. The Aussie players take this advantage without shame and, as we saw today, actually cheat to secure this advantage. Clarke's catch made me sick, to say nothing of the appeals against Dravid, then Ponting's appeal when he touched the ground with the ball (and the look on his face when given not out.) These guys have got umpire intimidation down to a science. Maybe they should star in fewer lame brained commercials and worry more about what kind of example they're actually setting for young sportsman and young people in general.

Things won't be any better under Michael Clarke's captaincy, after the way he played today. The great teams of the past would shake their heads at this bunch.

I will be cheering for India for the rest of the summer.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here we go again, Australia wins, people simply have to find some reason or another to critisize them. I find it amazing how all you mind readers know exactly what the players think etc. I'd love to know your secret.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I don't understand this environment we've created where players have to take it on the chin & act all stoic. Props to Kumble for speaking up.

sideshowtim

Banned
Funny how people all of a sudden forget Ponting saying he didn't take a catch at a crucial time in India's first innings...

LaConnect

Cricket Spectator
Here we go again, Australia wins, people simply have to find some reason or another to critisize them. I find it amazing how all you mind readers know exactly what the players think etc. I'd love to know your secret.
On the contrary. Steve Waugh & Mark Taylor's teams won a lot, so did Alan Border's. I was glad to see them win. They played hard, intense cricket but didn't blatantly cheat or intimidate umpires the way this side does.

pup11

International Coach
Says the guy who refused to shake the hand of an umpire afterwards. Even the most vehement and blustery coaches in American baseball, even after they've had a nose-to-nose argument with them, shake hands after the game because it's an acknowledgment that even if they've made mistakes, that's all they were; mistakes. This sort of hooplah makes me wonder whether Kumble has bought into the conspiracy hype.

I've always been a big fan of Kumble and I'm prepared to believe he just made a mistake in the heat of the moment but to infer that India was the only team playing in the right spirit is a bit nasty. Blaming the umpires makes it worse too; it's not as if India didn't get enough luck go their way against England over there. They sure enjoyed that series win and I don't think the Auissie should be in any way apologetic for doing the same (aside from the Dravid dismissal; that was poor form by Gillie I reckon).
Why is Gilly's appeal poor, he has every right to make an appeal and umpire has every right to hold the final verdict, walking is Gilly's personal choice but making appeals is a team thing.

sideshowtim

Banned
On the contrary. Steve Waugh & Mark Taylor's teams won a lot, so did Alan Border's. I was glad to see them win. They played hard, intense cricket but didn't blatantly cheat or intimidate umpires the way this side does.
Just terrible. Can't believe Ponting and the Australian team are being blamed for what all in all was merely a match that had poor umpiring. We did what we were there to do...tried our best to win...we got some decisions our way...that's the game.

bond21

Banned
I honestly cant believe Indian fans put up with this.

The national captain of India is putting down his own team, what a joke.

I mean we know Harbhajan is a racist and a bit strange but Kumble admitting it on national tv is a bit weird.

At least Kumble has the balls to apologise for the baby Harbhajan for his own behaviour like hes his father or something.

Wonder what the indians think of their captain insulting his own team mates....

Evermind

International Debutant
I honestly cant believe Indian fans put up with this.

The national captain of India is putting down his own team, what a joke.

I mean we know Harbhajan is a racist and a bit strange but Kumble admitting it on national tv is a bit weird.

At least Kumble has the balls to apologise for the baby Harbhajan for his own behaviour like hes his father or something.

Wonder what the indians think of their captain insulting his own team mates....
Where's this from? Is it from a press conference?

pup11

International Coach
The statement made by Kumble is pretty lame IMO, spirit showed right through the game was pretty normal (apart from the Symmo- Harbhajan spat) i don't know what makes Kumble think Australia didn't abide by the spirit of the game, obviously they made their appeals but it were the umpiring howlers that robbed India.
Clarke and Ponting won't claim catches unless they don't think they have caught it clean, its very easy to sit in your lounge rooms and watch the replays from different angles and then make a judgement, players have to go on instincts and both Clarke and Ponting would never claim the catch if they didn't think the caught it.
Why only talk of these two i think no player would claim a catch unless he doesn't think he has caught it, because with all this technology around he knows he won't get away with cheating.

Evermind

International Debutant
Clarke and Ponting won't claim catches unless they don't think they have caught it clean,
Except Ponting did, and it was ruled not out because it came off the pad. He claimed the catch when it couldn't have been given out - he had touched the grass with the ball. That means he has no credibility whatsoever.

Time and again it seems several people here are not following the facts at all, and go on bleating platitudes and projections of their own into the proceedings.

bond21

Banned
duno wtf krumble is on about.....

there are only 3 situations that he could mean.

1. Symonds not walking off the ground when he got given not out. Ok so Gilchrist and Sangakkara walk when they nick it, who the hell else does? I bet Krumble doesnt walk.

2. Harbhajan calling Symonds over and insulting him. Symonds basically responded and walked away...doubt this is it unless Krumble is insane which i dont fully rule out.

3. Clarke claiming a catch that was not a sitter at chest height. Not as if Clarke dropped it and picked it up and knew he dropped it, he thought he caught it.