• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
See this is what I hate the most about losing this match. All Indian posters have gone back to the "we are not good enough" attitude, yes we are ****ing good enough to challenge the Aussies like we have done this game. Yes we are not as good as Australia, cuz no we are not the number 1 team, but we are easily at number 2 imo if you look at the performances so far. We were under prepared at the MCG, we were unlucky here. But name one team in recent times that has come to Australia and challenged them to this extent. No one! I am sure the Aussie team will agree when I say they've actually broken some sweat when playing us. Something other teams haven't managed to do.

So no we're not Australia, we're not as good as them, it's ****ing obvious. But guess what, we are arguably number 2. We have been better than the other 6 teams when facing the Australia in recent times. So I hate this negative attitude, thinking we're not good enough, well who has been? And if you consider some of the things mentioned above such as lack of preparation and luck, we have done a pretty decent job here imho.

And I'm very very proud of this team, yes there is A LOT of scope for improvement if we want to be the best side in the world, but the fighting spirit shown by some of the players in this team and the heart with which some of them have played (eg. Dravid) has pleased me. And yeah we still need to get a lot of things right, but hey that's why we're not number 1.

And now a lot of you will come at me saying, "haha told you so, shouldn't have had an avatar challenge such as that, now you've lost your avatar forever", but honestly if you've watched this test, you'll know my challenge wasn't as crazy as some of you put it to be.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Disagree with that. Australia would have in all likelihood still made upwards of 250 in their first innings. At the end of the day, they could've made many more than 400 runs in the second innings as well, considering Gilchrist and Hogg went out without trying to play themselves in and Hussey was unbeaten on a ton.

If Symonds has been dismissed - I still think a draw would've been the likely result.
Yup, its impossible to say what would have or could have happened. But I would have liked the players to have complete control of the outcome. Really, no sense in harping about it though. I agree with Days of Grace that cricket was most certainly not the winner - if anything, it showed one of the biggest shortcomings of the game.

We'll see what Kumble does and how the ICC handle this. What shouldn't be lost in all this is Hussey: that man is a batting machine. Seriously. He is amazing, when not playing India, I can easily root for him now.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, as much as I like Hogg, I think his place needs to be under serious scrutiny for the next test, especially if the WACA pitch is expected to help seamers. I'd give Johnson another game, just because he's shown flashes of ability and I think it'd be harsh to drop a young guy after four tests when he hasn't been horrible, but Hogg's not offering a hell of a lot with the ball given that 6 wickets fell to spinners today and he never looked much like taking one.

Tait for Hogg is a very real possibility.
Tait coming in leaves one hell of a long tail with Lee batting at eight and not much else below him. I'd go the safe option and bring Tait in for Johnson - just because Johnson adds little with the bat or in the field and his bowling was poor for the most part this test.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Puts the selectors in a difficult position, really. Neither of them look up to it, to be honest - but there isn't really anyone banging down the door for selection.

You'd have to think at least one would make way for Sehwag or Karthik - tend to think Jaffer is in more trouble.
Perth might see Pathan come in.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think its poor form by Kumble, to be honest. Benson is only human and he made some mistakes he can't rectify without the ability to call for the third umpire. I can understand being pissed off about the decision, but it isn't as if either of them set out just to stick it up their arses.
Completely agree with Kumble's reaction.

"Batsmen usually say to each other 'you take care of this bowler etc'. [In] this match the Indians might have to say 'you take care of Bucknor, I will take care of Benson'."
Ian Chappell on commentary during the final day of the Sydney Test following two doubtful decisions that went against India

Didn't think Chappelli would say that.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Tait coming in leaves one hell of a long tail with Lee batting at eight and not much else below him. I'd go the safe option and bring Tait in for Johnson - just because Johnson adds little with the bat or in the field and his bowling was poor for the most part this test.
Worst thing you can do is pick a bowler on the basis of his batting, unless he's an all-rounder.

A bowler's job is to bowl, not to bat.

Edit: Also, I hope Harbhajan gets banned if he did say anything racist, so Pathan comes in for the much more logical 3-pronged pace attack.

duffer

See this is what I hate the most about losing this match. All Indian posters have gone back to the "we are not good enough" attitude, yes we are ****ing good enough to challenge the Aussies like we have done this game. Yes we are not as good as Australia, cuz no we are not the number 1 team, but we are easily at number 2 imo if you look at the performances so far. We were under prepared at the MCG, we were unlucky here. But name one team in recent times that has come to Australia and challenged them to this extent. No one! I am sure the Aussie team will agree when I say they've actually broken some sweat when playing us. Something other teams haven't managed to do.

So no we're not Australia, we're not as good as them, it's ****ing obvious. But guess what, we are arguably number 2. We have been better than the other 6 teams when facing the Australia in recent times. So I hate this negative attitude, thinking we're not good enough, well who has been? And if you consider some of the things mentioned above such as lack of preparation and luck, we have done a pretty decent job here imho.

And I'm very very proud of this team, yes there is A LOT of scope for improvement if we want to be the best side in the world, but the fighting spirit shown by some of the players in this team and the heart with which some of them have played (eg. Dravid) has pleased me. And yeah we still need to get a lot of things right, but hey that's why we're not number 1.

And now a lot of you will come at me saying, "haha told you so, shouldn't have had an avatar challenge such as that, now you've lost your avatar forever", but honestly if you've watched this test, you'll know my challenge wasn't as crazy as it might've seemed.
Good post. Defeatist attitudes should be kept aside although it's really bloody difficult to at a time like this.

Very proud of most of them, although Yuvi and Jaffer need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Son Of Coco

In a sarcastic tone he said "just want to let Tony Greig know, we got the declaration timing right'

"Tony we do know a little bit about this game, this Australian side'

"Especially after his comments at lunch time yesterday"

The last was in response to a question that the team was not happy with Tony Greig?
Tony rejoices in Australia looking like they're going to lose and swaps sides quicker than anyone I know...maybe some of it is a little deserved.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry for those who think Australians shouldn't be proud of winning this test. I certainly am. We still won it in very tough conditions that if reversed I doubt India would have won. In fact, I don't think any other team could have such a small window of opportunity and still win it.

Of course, it does leave a bitter taste in the mouth that the win wasn't controversy free, but it has nothing to do with the Australian side and so I can't pretend to be sorry for India as if we were responsible. We weren't.

Also, Australia would have at the least drawn this match. What did India lose? A draw. They would not have won this test, IMO. Still great play, but I had predicted before the series that Australia would take this 4-0. I think that'll still happen.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think its poor form by Kumble, to be honest. Benson is only human and he made some mistakes he can't rectify without the ability to call for the third umpire. I can understand being pissed off about the decision, but it isn't as if either of them set out just to stick it up their arses.
Meh, straight after the game. Emotions are high. He's nearly carried his side to a draw. Fair play.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Johnson's not bad with the bat at all. I think he's probably going to be as good as someone like Lee in the long term, in that respect. If there's one area Australia don't have to worry about it'd be their tail, Hogg, Lee and Johnson are all capable batsmen and Clark isn't bad either and is more than good enough for 10, as Johnson is for 9. Not something we should be making selection decisions about at all.

Fielding might be an issue, but then Tait is clearly the worst in that regard anyway, just like he is in batting.

It comes down to bowling, where Hogg has added far less than could be reasonably expected of him. Johnson has been disappointing as well, at least in the last two games, but he's got a lot more potential to improve.

Hogg is playing the best players of spin in the world though, and it'd be unfair to dismiss his entire career based on the last two games. It's not like his record against India is much worse than Warne or MacGill. I'd just leave him out in Perth and then have a look at the track in Adelaide.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sorry for those who think Australians shouldn't be proud of winning this test. I certainly am. We still won it in very tough conditions that if reversed I doubt India would have won. In fact, I don't think any other team could have such a small window of opportunity and still win it.
No one's blaming Australia. People are blaming the umpires.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Also, Australia would have at the least drawn this match. What did India lose? A draw. They would not have won this test, IMO. Still great play, but I had predicted before the series that Australia would take this 4-0. I think that'll still happen.
I don't see how a lead of 250-odd runs lost is nothing but a draw lost.

Perm

Johnson is a fairly good batsmen, has a couple of fifties in his short career for Queensland so far. I wouldn't worry too much about having Lee at #8 and Johnson at #9, they're both competent.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Superb game from both sides, great batting from both sides and brilliant bowling too, especially by Michael Clarke in that over that won it for us. Great knock from Kumble, a true character in a highly skilled Indian side. An entertaining match to watch - very much looking forward to Perth now.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Meh, straight after the game. Emotions are high. He's nearly carried his side to a draw. Fair play.
I can understand that - but I don't know if they are actions you can applaud like some are. It is somewhat like (obviously not exactly the same) not talking to a fieldsman if he drops a catch off your bowling because its his job.

Criticise the umpire if you wish, but to snub him completely on the basis of human error is bad form.