• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is what makes cricket great. If you say somebody down and made them watch the last hour of play, and explain to them what has happened before, then you'll have a lifelong cricket fan.

pup11

International Coach
I am not proud about this test win as Australian fan, as i know India were hard done by the umpires, but nonetheless it was a great test after having everything said and done.
Test cricket at its absolute ****ing test!

archie mac

International Coach
What did he say?
In a sarcastic tone he said "just want to let Tony Greig know, we got the declaration timing right'

"Tony we do know a little bit about this game, this Australian side'

"Especially after his comments at lunch time yesterday"

The last was in response to a question that the team was not happy with Tony Greig?

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No offence, but this is exactly the attitude that is going to ensure that India never become a force in world cricket. :mellow:
Feel whatever you want. I can't realistically expect us to play much better than this. I've been through the nineties when we didn't win a single Test overseas.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Man of the match has to be Andrew Symonds. Bowled beautifully, but most of all his absolute chanceless innings when Australia were in trouble.

Sad that India are not good enough to cut it against this great Australia team. 4-0 now for my liking.
Enough baiting, thanks.

Agent TBY

International Captain
No offence, but this is exactly the attitude that is going to ensure that India never become a force in world cricket. :mellow:
The realist attitude?

India are nowhere near Australia at the moment, and with a woefully out of form Dravid and an injured Zaheer Khan, did you really think at the start of the game that we could win?

Don't start with the umpire stuff, please, because I said "start of the game".

That being said, it's quite dire India couldn't survive two sessions of play.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its amazing how there can be so much good cricket in a match from both sides and still at the end of it you feel sad. Its not because India lost but because how the match was ruined by atrocious umpiring. Maybe india would have still lost, maybe not, but it would have been so much more enjoyable.

Very mixed feelings throughout the game I am afraid. And yes if Bucknor is officiating I am definitely going to miss the first match in nearly half a century for no reason other than distaste.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh deary me. Your points are usually made eloquently, so no one bothers trying to take them apart, but this is ridiculous.

I wasn't anywhere near a computer, let alone CW, when I saw Clarke stand there like an Easter Island statue, and the last thing I thought about was posting on Cricket Web.

You're clutching beyond belief if you "Imagine Clarke was just standing there in shock or whatever". He was looking directly at the umpire, waiting for him to make a decision that the umpire shouldn't have needed to make. His attitude is atrocious.

Yes a batsman can stand there for as long as he likes, but that doesn't mean he should. Particularly for such a clear-cut decision as a full-blooded edge to first ****ing slip.
That's not frothing at the mouth from me, from several others on this thread, including several posters who have no bias one way or the other.

Regardless, congratulations to Australia for equalling the record.
I tend to think it would have gone unnoticed in any other match - its just this one has had some average decisions and, in this thread in particular, every Australian player has been criticised for minute things (Ponting has been attacked for no reason consistently) that the situation was blown out of perspective.

Wasn't brilliant timing for him to do it, though.

Perm

In a sarcastic tone he said "just want to let Tony Greig know, we got the declaration timing right'

"Tony we do know a little bit about this game, this Australian side'

"Especially after his comments at lunch time yesterday"
ITSTL. Pretty tactless from Ponting, but I've come to expect that kind of thing from him over the years.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Test cricket at its best. This was an awesome test and just shows why it’s the only form of cricket that matters. It was a hollow victory and I am sad for Kumble and India. The fact that is because of umpiring is a real shame. But still, awesome test match. And kudos on the pitch curator. Brilliant.

Slow Love™

International Captain
On the bright side for India, I think they make a compelling case for being the clear second best testteam in the world - and obviously they are more than capable of competing with Australia in their own backyard. Regardless of the end result of the series, hopefully that will continue to be the case.

Can't believe the conduct of some of the posters in this thread today though, particularly the racial rubbish. I thought the moderating left a bit to be desired at times, to be honest. Glad they got on top of it eventually though.

duffer

Its amazing how there can be so much good cricket in a match from both sides and still at the end of it you feel sad. Its not because India lost but because how the match was ruined by atrocious umpiring. Maybe india would have still lost, maybe not, but it would have been so much more enjoyable.

Very mixed feelings throughout the game I am afraid. And yes if Bucknor is officiating I am definitely going to miss the first match in nearly half a century for no reason other than distaste.
Aye, feeling absolutely shattered right now. Can just imagine how the team is feeling.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Can't really agree with more. Great cricket all around, but I can't help but be frustrated at the large part that people other than the players played in the outcome. If you're not for more technology to improve cricket after this, you're on a completely different plane of thought from me.

Coming back to the cricket: Michael Clarke has the voodoo over India. I don't really understand how or why. Fantastic job by him IMO. Symonds just became a permanent member of the Aussie Test side - that sucks for them though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
You're clutching beyond belief if you "Imagine Clarke was just standing there in shock or whatever". He was looking directly at the umpire, waiting for him to make a decision that the umpire shouldn't have needed to make. His attitude is atrocious.

Yes a batsman can stand there for as long as he likes, but that doesn't mean he should. Particularly for such a clear-cut decision as a full-blooded edge to first ****ing slip.
That's not frothing at the mouth from me, from several others on this thread, including several posters who have no bias one way or the other.
Way to miss the point. You can laugh at him all you want, but there's nothing wrong with standing there and waiting for a decision, regardless of the circumstances. He was perfectly within his rights to do so, just like Ganguly was. None of us know why Clarke was standing there BTW, so your assumptions are of no more value than anyone elses, but assuming you're right (I don't know if you are, I find it hard to imagine why he'd wait for a decision on such an obvious dismissal), it may have been strange or stupid or whatever, but it certainly wasn't cheating, nor is it evidence of any sort of umpiring conspiricy. People frothing at the mouth over it (and yes, they did) and carrying on like he's some sort of monster is absurd and over the top.

For what it's worth, 've got no interest in defending his decision to stand there, because I don't know why he did it and I don't think it's particularly relevant. If he was indeed waiting for a decision because he thought he wouldn't be given out it's astonishingly stupid, but I don't see how it reflects on his honesty as a player or anything. He's not under any obligation under the rules or otherwise to leave before he's given out.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
ITSTL. Pretty tactless from Ponting, but I've come to expect that kind of thing from him over the years.
Completely disagree. I'd imagine the Australians have had just about enough of Greigy - particularly with his (what I perceive as wrong) comments regarding the Australians not being able to 'take criticism.'

Greig has always been fairly tasteless in his comments to say the least - I think Ponting's comments were completely justified.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Meh, can you imagine being a player and those muppets pontificate all the time about what you're doing wrong. I mean, it's Taahny Greig for heaven's sake, biggest muppet of them all, sticking the boot into tactical decisions that have been carefully planned, and he's never held to account for all the rubbish that he spouts.