• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Evermind

International Debutant
What's wrong with you guys, what's wrong with Clarke's catch he had his fingers under the ball and was in control of at all times, just because the umpires have made some crazy decision you seem to think everything that's taking place out there on the field is dodgy.
He didn't, and he wasn't. It's clear as day, and it's shocking that you can't see it. Are you watching the right match?

Ospi

School Boy/Girl Captain
Didn't see that Harris catch, but as I said, Matthew Sinclair took a catch today that was pretty similar to Ponting's one and I don't think either of them should be out (Sinclair's was, Ponting's wasn't), because they grounded the ball whilst in the act of catching it.
Is it a concrete law of the game? because those kinds of catches are given out so often, they don't even get a 2nd glance a lot of the time.

Evermind

International Debutant
Not that I have ever though much of Clarke (although he is a fine bat) as future captain of Australia. I dont blame him for taking the catch though - you take what you can get away with at this level, which is where good umpiring comes in. However, that said, there is no need to go on and on about fair play, its the hypocrisy that is really galling. And yes, Clarke's theatrics on his dismissal yesterday do indeed leave a sour taste in the mouth when coupled with this dodgy catch.

As to the posters, yes. IMO a certain number of Australian posters here are just as biased as a number of Indian posters, they merely do not get as worked up about the whole issue which is then reflected in their posts. This permits a veneer of moderation and reasonableness on the part of many of them. But if you look hard enough, you see it for the lie that it is.

Agreed, good post.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Yuvraj has been horrid. A shade of his usual self in the field, and useless with the bat. I don't know whether I should be calling for his head, simply because we have not many better on the bench.

Jaffer, on the other hand, hasn't had a clue against the new ball. Drop him, please. Dhoni's done his job as a keeper very well, so it's quite alright if he fails a few times with the bat.

Certainly need to get Sehwag into the team. The Indian selectors don't see that he's a better test batsman than a one-day one, simply because of his aggressive batting. They tested him out in the very format he had no business going near.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is it a concrete law of the game? because those kinds of catches are given out so often, they don't even get a 2nd glance a lot of the time.
My knowledge of the laws aren't the greatest, but from what I can gather, you must have full control of the ball and you can't allow the ball to touch the ground whilst in the act of taking a catch.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Haven't seen the Harris catch either. Probably was asleep after watching this Test match and missed that part of the more improtant game to me. Meh though....The bowlers gave it away. :mad:

rama_v

Cricket Spectator
The Harris catch was actually not out, the commentators yesterday were saying so as well. Also, the MCC laws of cricket say:
"
A fair catch
A catch shall be considered to have been fairly made if
(a) throughout the act of making the catch
(i) any fielder in contact with the ball is within the field of play. See 4 below.
(ii) the ball is at no time in contact with any object grounded beyond the boundary.

The act of making the catch shall start from the time when a fielder first handles the ball and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control both over the ball and over his own movement."

source: http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-32-caught,58,AR.html

JBH001

International Regular
Agree re the comments about Jaffer and Yuvraj. Jaffer looks a bunny in waiting to Lee and Yuvraj does not seem to have the stomach for the fight. Looked like a kitten among wolves at the crease today. Indias batting, really, begins at 2 and ends at 5.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
My knowledge of the laws aren't the greatest, but from what I can gather, you must have full control of the ball and you can't allow the ball to touch the ground whilst in the act of taking a catch.
yes and the commentators were showing the replays and saying the very same thing...

Evermind

International Debutant
Yuvraj has been horrid. A shade of his usual self in the field, and useless with the bat. I don't know whether I should be calling for his head, simply because we have not many better on the bench.
Do you honestly believe that neither Karthik nor Pathan would be capable of more than 10 runs per innings? Surely? There's definitely bench strength when it comes to batting. Karthik is not a big centurion type, but I would definitely bet on him making an ok 60 once every 4 innings.

Yuvraj has neither technique nor temperament for a test match, and unfortunately it has been laid bare to see in this series. Off he goes - it'd be suicide for India to retain him at Perth.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its surprising to see how Gavaskar and Ian Chappell differ on whether Clarke had completed the catch by the time he rolled over and then touched the ball in his hand at the end of his roll.

My own reaction was that the catch had been completed and the issue was only whether it had been cleanly taken to start with and I was very surprised when gavaskar so vehemently suggested otherwise. Now Chappell thinks as I do. Cant say who is right. Would love to know this one really.