• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm sure Sehwag could just go out there blindfolded, throw his bat at the ball for 3 overs going purely by sound, and still manage to overcome Jaffer's grand 4-innings haul of 22 runs.
I'll get you an avatar tomorrow, btw. I'll post it up in this thread.

archie mac

International Coach
I put that down to the rub of the green going largely in their favour. If it was the other way around this thread would be a sight.
I doubt it very much tbh, no where near as bad as this thread not even close, not in this life time:@

JBH001

International Regular
Oh yes. It was clearly inconclusive.

But the problem was going for the fielders word for it rather than making the decision himself - giving out or giving the benefit of the doubt- thats wht he is there for. If he thinks he needs any help he has the square leg umpire. If he cant help he can refer. If not and still inconclusive give the benefit of the doubt. There is a provision in the laws for the umpire to do that.
Completely agree. As I said in my earlier post, there is no consensus on this issue at all, and so the umpire was completely out of line to accept the word of the fielding captain if there was any doubt. Ponting has been recently trying to get something together where fielders claim if they took it or not, its therefore more than a little ironic that when he does give his word (on behalf of his fielder) its more than obvious that it was clearly not taken.

Good luck with that whole thing, Punter. _b

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't understand that. Looked like Ponting had it the whole time to me.
no he didn't, watch the replays, the ball(while still in his hand) hit the ground as soon as he fell, pretty much the same thing happened with clarke's catch as well...

LJMJ

U19 12th Man
But with Jaffer struggling too who's coming in? Do we throw both Sehwag and Karthick into the deep end?
I say bring Sehwag in for Jaffer and Pathan in for Yuvraj. We not only get a bowler in Pathan but there's absolutely no way he can perform worse than Yuvraj with the bat. Neither Jaffer nor Yuvraj have the mental nor the technical capabilities to produce in this series. They have 0 confidence and have pretty much become liabilities.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
In regards to the Ponting catch, Paul Harris did the same thing yesterday and got away with it...I thought the catch was perfectly fine. Never seen a problem with those catches. He clearly had control over it all the way down...what is he meant to do...twist his wrist all the way around or something?
Look at Gayle's catch to dismiss Amla in SA's 2nd innings in the 2nd Test.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Sehwag and Karthik to open in my opinion. Throw Dravid into the middle order...maybe number 6

I doubt Pathan would score runs at the top of the order but at least it would give another bowling option.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
"enter endless babble about how ganguly is a bad sportman for standing his ground".

Now watch all those who got up clarke for doing it say ganguly was entitled to do so.

(btw i dont care that he stood his ground at all, same as i didnt care clarke did)
Haha yeah, that's exactly what I thought. Where's the hysteria? He took a few seconds to walk people!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He would have kept his place even with poor batting imo. He done his job as a keeper very well. Would be too risky to try Karthik as a keeper in the middle of the series.
Yeah, especially given the fact that he kept poorly last time he kept in a test. It looked as if he hadn't been practicing it much.

pup11

International Coach
What's wrong with you guys, what's wrong with Clarke's catch he had his fingers under the ball and was in control of at all times, just because the umpires have made some crazy decision you seem to think everything that's taking place out there on the field is dodgy.

JBH001

International Regular
In regards to the Ponting catch, Paul Harris did the same thing yesterday and got away with it...I thought the catch was perfectly fine. Never seen a problem with those catches. He clearly had control over it all the way down...what is he meant to do...twist his wrist all the way around or something?
No, because Harris was in the act of taking the catch when he fell and the ball made contact with the ground. It was after he fell, had some control, and turned around that he claimed it. IMO, that was not out.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't see that Harris catch, but as I said, Matthew Sinclair took a catch today that was pretty similar to Ponting's one and I don't think either of them should be out (Sinclair's was, Ponting's wasn't), because they grounded the ball whilst in the act of catching it.