• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7qwiFM8I8gQ

What I gathered of the incident was that Symonds was assigned to distract Bhajji once he started batting well..Symonds started saying things to Bhajji after every ball like this, "You seem to be very friendly with our bowlers. Why don't you be friends with me now? I am a bowler as well.'

Tendulkar was asked about the incident at the press conference following the day's play and said he thought it was not an issue. "There were a couple of lines exchanged," he said. "It keeps happening virtually every day. As far as I'm concerned [as long as] the games move on and the players don't cross their limits its fine. It's good for the spectators too. Sometimes it's humorous and sometimes it is funny."

Asked whether the exchange was funny, Symonds, Tendulkar replied, had said: 'You seem to be very friendly with our bowlers. Why don't you be friends with me now? I am a bowler as well.'
Symmo appears to be a crybaby everytime claiming racial abuse..

I know they'll come hard on Bhajji as he riled them making a good score..Aussies don't like being challenged. If somebody challenges them then they throw all the toy off their prams and go running to the Match refree..Wussies..

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh don't give me that crap. Not a good excuse at all. The fans in India who were taunting Symonds knew exactly what it meant or why would they have used it at all?
I agree that it shouldn't happen, but Indians do call other Indians who are darker than them monkeys all the time. Would you consider that racist?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Oh don't give me that crap. Not a good excuse at all. The fans in India who were taunting Symonds knew exactly what it meant or why would they have used it at all?
They were taunting hayden too because of his build But much was not made of it .
My friend told me that he and many were calling hogg a sissy.

Even Indians on tour are called different things but they do not complain.
A famous Indian historian wrote in his book that Indians were called a lot of things ranging from "you bloody indian" to different animals on their tours.
But all of this only symonds kicks a fuss everytime ,perhaps DUE TO PAST ABUSE.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I agree that it shouldn't happen, but Indians do call other Indians who are darker than them monkeys all the time. Would you consider that racist?
Not neccasarilly darker only."BANDAR" which is monkey in hindi is used for everyone generally for someone who jumps arround a lot.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not analogous. Many ethnic groups use certain terms with each other that if a person outside that ethnic group used towards them, it would be offensive. The people outside that group know or are quickly taught what's right and not. Why do people within those groups do it? It's a way of 'de-offensing' it. When someone outside that group then uses it, it almost reinvigorates the offense. My Aboriginal cousins call me and other relatives racial epithets all the time, for example. It's different and there's a reason for that.

Pleading ignorance in calling someone like Symonds a monkey is really stretching the bounds of credibility. Even if the crowd in India didn't understand the full connotations of it, they know it hurts him. Yet they did it even after they knew that. At the very best it makes them nasty.

Laurrz

International Debutant
I know they'll come hard on Bhajji as he riled them making a good score..Aussies don't like being challenged. If somebody challenges them then they throw all the toy off their prams and go running to the Match refree..Wussies..
that is the most ridiculous thing ive heard!!!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They were taunting hayden too because of his build But much was not made of it .
My friend told me that he and many were calling hogg a sissy.
It's different, for goodness sake. Racial abuse is multi-dimensional that's why it brings so much pain.

Even Indians on tour are called different things but they do not complain.
A famous Indian historian wrote in his book that Indians were called a lot of things ranging from "you bloody indian" to different animals on their tours.
That just makes them stupid for not complaining. My point, it shouldn't happen to anyone and anyone who it does happen to should say something instead of sniping about years after the fact, well and truly beyond the point of actually doing something about it.

sideshowtim

Banned
Yep, absolutely disgusting if true. Any cricketer found guilty of racial abuse or vilification should be banned for a very long time. No place for it in society, or cricket.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Pleading ignorance in calling someone like Symonds a monkey is really stretching the bounds of credibility. Even if the crowd in India didn't understand the full connotations of it, they know it hurts him. Yet they did it even after they knew that. At the very best it makes them nasty.
But symonds did not endear himself to the crowd at all by being a cry baby from day one and accusing Indian players (who had won the t20 wc at that time and were very very popular)of being bad behaved when he himself is not a gentlemen.
He also made very dismissing comments of india's t20 wc if i remember correctly.
This hurt the Indian sentiment and they wanted to make know their discontent fully known to him and because of his features,hair and build some people chose to mock him as a monkey and when he responded unhappilly to the crowd(he even made actions to the crowd) and went to the media the word spread and other's followed.
Even booing hurt's people yet do fans stop booing cristiano ronaldo.I am sure being called a shorty hurts sachin but dooes he claim it as racism.
After the aussies won the ICC champions trophy in India they pushed the BCCI president and a union minister of the stage ,is that racism

sideshowtim

Banned
But symonds did not endear himself to the crowd at all by being a cry baby from day one and accusing Indian players (who had won the t20 wc at that time and were very very popular)of being bad behaved when he himself is not a gentlemen.
He also made very dismissing comments of india's t20 wc if i remember correctly.
This hurt the Indian sentiment and they wanted to make know their discontent fully known to him and because of his features,hair and build some people chose to mock him as a monkey and when he responded unhappilly to the crowd(he even made actions to the crowd) and went to the media the word spread and other's followed.
Even booing hurt's people yet do fans stop booing cristiano ronaldo.I am sure being called a shorty hurts sachin but dooes he claim it as racism.
After the aussies won the ICC champions trophy in India they pushed the BCCI president and a union minister of the stage ,is that racism
You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Nothing justifies racial abuse. Nothing.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
This charge makes a bit of sense of a replay that puzzled me from today. During a chane of ends a few overs after the exchange, Harbhajan approached Symonds as they passed near the pitch. No idea what they said, but Harbhajan's body language was sort of apologetic, and Symonds looked straight past him and kept walking. As Harbhajan turned his head away, Symonds shot across a look of absolute rage.

It puzzled me a bit at the time, but makes a bit more sense now.

On another note...

But what is Racial abuse in Australia is not in In India.And all abuse is not racist.

Either ban all abuse then.
Firstly, congratulations on progressing from crayons to the keyboard. Well done, sir.

Secondly, Symonds didn't go to the media when the incidents occurred in India. He actually tried to downplay the issue. The media pretty much came to him. Thus, accusing him of being a "cry-baby" for being unhappy with racial taunts is somewhat disingenuous.

Thirdly, IF Harbhajan made any such comments (and until he is given a chance to defend himself at the hearing, that's a BIG "if") then he is an idiot. After the furore in India, if anyone connected to either team (or anyone who follows either team- hint, hint) doesn't realise that likening a man of Afro-Caribbean descent to a simian is going to have a racial connotation, then they should hand back their brain, as it is clearly only being used to fill in an otherwise blank space.

pup11

International Coach
Dude do you even have a clue what you are talking about , i think you simply hate Symonds which is clearly evident from the dire explanations you are trying to give.
Harbhajan is a complete dickhead and i am not shocked to hear that he has done such a thing, as far as you accusing Symonds of being cry-baby is concerned, then let me tell you mate, nobody in the world would love to talk about such an issue to the media and make a joke himself, Symonds is obviously hurt by the comments made by Harbhajan and just to avoid such an incident in the future he had no choice but to complain about it.

Craig

World Traveller
This charge makes a bit of sense of a replay that puzzled me from today. During a chane of ends a few overs after the exchange, Harbhajan approached Symonds as they passed near the pitch. No idea what they said, but Harbhajan's body language was sort of apologetic, and Symonds looked straight past him and kept walking. As Harbhajan turned his head away, Symonds shot across a look of absolute rage.

It puzzled me a bit at the time, but makes a bit more sense now.

On another note...

Firstly, congratulations on progressing from crayons to the keyboard. Well done, sir.

Secondly, Symonds didn't go to the media when the incidents occurred in India. He actually tried to downplay the issue. The media pretty much came to him. Thus, accusing him of being a "cry-baby" for being unhappy with racial taunts is somewhat disingenuous.

Thirdly, IF Harbhajan made any such comments (and until he is given a chance to defend himself at the hearing, that's a BIG "if") then he is an idiot. After the furore in India, if anyone connected to either team (or anyone who follows either team- hint, hint) doesn't realise that likening a man of Afro-Caribbean descent to a simian is going to have a racial connotation, then they should hand back their brain, as it is clearly only being used to fill in an otherwise blank space.

AWTA.