• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's not a bad idea actually - it seems Pathan's gotten his pace back too, and I'd have supported his inclusion over Ishant's in this match.

In any case, Pathan over Yuvraj for the next one? Can't possibly do any worse batting wise, and they'd have another fast bowler at the WACA.

Why don't they send Yuvraj to open in the second innings? Hmm!
Dravid would be out there in the second over anyway, so it wouldn't accomplish much.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Although Yuvraj looked a bit better today, it was only a matter of time before he got out, and once again we've seen how uncomfortable he looks at Test level. Clark is just going to exploit his weakness against the length delivery that moves somewhat, so should he be dropped for the WACA? Assuming that he doesn't make a big score in the second innings, then I'd be in favour of Sehwag/Karthik coming into the side. Wouldn't mind seeing Sehwag down the order either, just quietly.

Beleg

International Regular
He certainly deserved his spot at the start of the summer/series, I think many if not most agreed with this. The fact he hasn't gunned it yet is just one of the things that happens, but the selectors picked the right team based on the information available at the time. Should he be there for the next Test and series? That's a different question completely.
I grok that. I guess we'll see how his career pans out in due course.

pup11

International Coach
Giving the new ball to Johnson is such a waste, he hardly makes the batsmen play anything with the new ball and his bowling has been pretty predictable with his lack of ability to move the ball both ways, Clark is a much much better option then him to take the new ball IMO.
Seriously i am very disappointed with the way Johnson has bowled so far in this series and he really needs to step-up if he wishes to hold onto his place in the side.

Beleg

International Regular
BTW Tendulkar is only the 16th batsman to score 2000 runs versus Australians and the first Indian to achieve the milestone. Achieved it a bit earlier. Interestingly, Hobbs has scored the most runs versus Australia - 3600 some thing.
Well, Hobb didn't get to play many other teams, did he? :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The wagon-wheel for Johnson's bowling is quite telling, only one boundary on the leg-side. Just goes to show how wide he's been, offering the batsmen a chance to hit him through cover and behind point.
That and the fact that Mitch Johnson has bowled 5 wides in a test match.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Wouldn't mind seeing Sehwag down the order either, just quietly.
Yeah that is a very good option. I would be very uneasy seeing a green Sehwag opening, nor would I want to disturb our fab 4's positions in the middle of the series. Personally, I would wait to see which 3 to select in the XI between Yuvraj, Sehwag and Jaffer after the tour game (I think we have one between the 2nd and 3rd tests).

Last edited:

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Difficult to see where the next wicket will come from. I'll be interested to see how Tendulkar approaches the bowlers if Harbhajan gets out next..he might miss out on his century.

pup11

International Coach
Although Yuvraj looked a bit better today, it was only a matter of time before he got out, and once again we've seen how uncomfortable he looks at Test level. Clark is just going to exploit his weakness against the length delivery that moves somewhat, so should he be dropped for the WACA? Assuming that he doesn't make a big score in the second innings, then I'd be in favour of Sehwag/Karthik coming into the side. Wouldn't mind seeing Sehwag down the order either, just quietly.
Yuvraj was piss poor today, Hogg was almost making him dance at crease and he looked clueless against him and he looked slightly better against Lee and Johnson but he hardly had the technique to survive a newish ball.

Perm

Yuvraj was piss poor today, Hogg was almost making him dance at crease and he looked clueless against him and he looked slightly better against Lee and Johnson but he hardly had the technique to survive a newish ball.
He wasn't piss-poor, but he did look out of depth. Played a couple of decent shots, which is more than he did down in Melbourne. I've never had any ideas of him opening, none whatsoever, as it was so blatantly obvious he couldn't handle it.

Perm

Yeah that is a very good option. I would be very uneasy seeing a green Sehwag opening, nor would I want to disturb our fab 4's positions in the middle of the series. Personally, I would wait to see which 3 to select in the XI between Yuvraj, Sehwag and Jaffer after the tour game (I think we have one between the 2nd and 3rd tests).
Surely Yuvraj has to go? It's not like he's looked comfortable at all in the three innings he's played. I can't see him scoring in the second innings either, but if he does then he'll likely retain his spot. Jaffer has looked okay, solid, but hasn't been able to score any runs. I do get the feeling that Sehwag would be a useful addition to the Indian XI, even though he hasn't got many on the board, because it only takes a couple of shots for somebody like him to work back into form. I can see him scoring a quick hundred at the top of the innings, but Australia would have to drop him for that to happen.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It is purely technique related.

Yuvraj has no backfoot defense to speak of. - NONE WHATSOEVER.

You can not play the best fast bowlers (in test matches) in even slightly helpful conditions without that. Thats why he cant score here. same for Dhoni. The earlier we learn that the better will be our understanding of what's happening and the earlier they acquire these skills the better will they be as all round finished articles.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
I agree, how hard should it be to dismiss Harbhajan? Next in, RP Singh and Ishant Sharma I don't think these two will provide as much resistance as Harbhajan is providing atm.