• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

tooextracool

International Coach
nobody is saying Aussies have had bad luck
but India have had good luck... (which i understand is normal..in the game)
Well whatever your definition of luck is, the bottom line is that when externalities come into the question(i.e poor umpiring, winning the toss or bad weather), then there is a different degree of unfairness for the opposing team. As such one of those has already come into the equation and has hurt India far more than Australia. You can for example say that Dravid or the individual batsman was lucky for being dropped or caught of the no ball, but you cannot say that the Indian team on the whole has been lucky, because they were benefitting from ineptitude from the opposing side rather than externalities.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Well whatever your definition of luck is, the bottom line is that when externalities come into the question(i.e poor umpiring, winning the toss or bad weather), then there is a different degree of unfairness for the opposing team. As such one of those has already come into the equation and has hurt India far more than Australia. You can for example say that Dravid or the individual batsman was lucky for being dropped or caught of the no ball, but you cannot say that the Indian team on the whole has been lucky, because they were benefitting from ineptitude from the opposing side rather than externalities.
as said, luck is luck.. i understand it was Australias fault for a lot of them.. but it is still luck nonetheless.. obviously if you're complaining about umpires then you can't say anything because the umpires haven't evened out the luck.. it's been luck given by Aussies

it's still luck though, that was what matt's point was.. and india have taken advantage of it (sort of)

tooextracool

International Coach
as said, luck is luck.. i understand it was Australias fault for a lot of them.. but it is still luck nonetheless.. obviously if you're complaining about umpires then you can't say anything because the umpires haven't evened out the luck.. it's been luck given by Aussies

it's still luck though, that was what matt's point was.. and india have taken advantage of it (sort of)
I do not understand a concept of a team 'giving luck' by playing poorly. Whatever you want to call it, the point is that many seem be indicating in this thread that the 'luck has evened out'. It has not because one team has been inept in the field and allowed the other team to take advantage of the situation. This is completely different from an umpire costing a team wickets from actual skill.

biased indian

International Coach
I do not understand a concept of a team 'giving luck' by playing poorly. Whatever you want to call it, the point is that many seem be indicating in this thread that the 'luck has evened out'. It has not because one team has been inept in the field and allowed the other team to take advantage of the situation. This is completely different from an umpire costing a team wickets from actual skill.
AWTA

Laurrz

International Debutant
i dont think it has evened out for India.. but atleast dropped catches/close catches/no balls in some way has given India a bit of luck... which is better than not.. so atleast they will feel... ok maybe SOME justice has been served (since Aussies rarely drop any and Midge never bowled a no ball bar that delivery etc.)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
LOL @ Channel Nine showing my blue/white beachball escaping onto the field, only for Clarke to give it back, hit a chick in the head and some fool punch it to security. :laugh:

Cheers Clarkey!

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Folks, its quarter past midnight here, I'm about 20-30 Km away from the SCG (I think) and it is raining, not sure what the predictions are for tomorow though.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Its on and off raining.

BTW, i work for Sports Ears in the morning. I hand out leaflets at the members entrance :cool:

Majin

International Debutant
Haha, can't believe failures moaning about Dravid's innings, was an amazing knock for someone so out of form and batting out of position. Concentration and determination it must have taken is insane. Only a shame that the relief of getting a score went to his head and he got out straight after, but hopefully this will have taken a weight off his shoulders and allow him to play more freely (for Dravid, anyway) from now on.

Nothing much else to add on about Laxman's knock, was great stuff. Think SJS mentioned about how most Indian supporters calling for him to be dropped is baffling or something along those lines, and I have always thought this as well.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ball swung away a touch. As said earlier it was one of a marginal number of balls that Lee swung all day, a comparable statistic to his test career in general.
Lee swung the new ball pretty consistently today. By consistently I mean the majority of deliveries for his entire opening spell. Basically the exact opposite of what you said yesterday - "Brett Lee has never swung the red ball conventionally".

Patently false then, and it still is. He's not a swing bowler as a rule, at least not in test cricket, but he can swing the new ball when there's any sort of help around for it. See Brisbane against the West Indies a couple of years back, Boxing Day against South Africa that same summer, a few spells in the away series following that, and so on. Hell, the SCG test in the 02/03 Ashes as well, one of the first times I saw Lee take the new ball in test cricket and he swung it plenty. Basically the only good spell he bowled that summer.

BTW, I'd also dispute that it swung "a touch". Naturally, outswing will be more visible if the ball is wider, but the reason Jaffer missed that ball is because it was angled in at his pads. It straightened in the air and swung away slightly to beat the bat. If it had been outside off stump to begin with it would have swung a huge amount. Simply look at the angle Jaffer attempted to play it at. Sensational delivery, second best of the series to date IMO, after the Zaheer ball to Ponting.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
LOL @ Channel Nine showing my blue/white beachball escaping onto the field, only for Clarke to give it back, hit a chick in the head and some fool punch it to security. :laugh:

Cheers Clarkey!
Lol, was it Clark or Clarke who gave you ball back mate?
Btw its seriously dumb on part of CA to ban the beach balls, i know some idiot once tried to punch the ball and instead whacked his fist into a lady's jaw but that was just a freak accident.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol, was it Clark or Clarke who gave you ball back mate?
Btw its seriously dumb on part of CA to ban the beach balls, i know some idiot once tried to punch the ball and instead whacked his fist into a lady's jaw but that was just a freak accident.
It was Clarke.

And haha Nath, was that really your beach ball? :laugh:

dansa

Cricket Spectator
AUS needs 5 good pacers for Indian batting

Too cut it short
5 pacers that are good as Lee would have canned India batting within 220 without those dropped catches. Would have wrapped Indian batting within 300 with 2-4 dropped catches.

Johnson and Symonds provided the reprieve for Dravid and Laxman. Laxman needed the perfect bouncers every now and then to loose his focus. He was taking many chances.

Johnson and Symonds were not pressuring enough in the beginning. This is where the Indian batting firmed up. Hogg gives sufficient relaxation to middle order Indian batsmen though he is a good all rounder.