• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in New Zealand

Flem274*

123/5
Personally I'm concerned Vettori will get the same treatment from the public and the media that Fleming had. It's already starting to fester in the country.

With McCullum proving a success up the order thus far who should take over the number 6 position in ODIs? Certainly not Sinclair, it doesn't suit him IMO. I think Vincent has the assets of a finisher and there is a young bloke who plays List A cricket for Auckland named David Houpapa who bats at 5 or 6 for them and has alot of talent. He learnt his trade in Australia too IIRC so he is one to watch out for. He had his first season last year and if he carries on his good form for another season or two and McCullum continues to open then I could see Houpapa in the 2011 WC side easily.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah Houpapa looks like a good prospect but he's definitely not ready yet. Will he make the Black Caps in the future? Only if he can keep his average up over the next few seasons. How many times have we seen one player gun it one season only to fade into medicority for the next seven?

I'm wary of McCullum opening still. For mine he's our best finisher and without him there and McMillan we really rely on Oram to bail us out with a quickfire 50 now. But I guess if McCullum opening strengthens our top order so we're not 2 for 12 anymore then I guess it's the better of the two.

If we're going to have McCullum open, Vincent is a better ODI batsman than Sinclair, no doubt about it. VIncent has batted down the order before without much success, but who knows how he'll do there a second time around? I have a feeling that we'll never know, though, and that VIncent will only be brought back into the side to open. I'd like to be wrong, though.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah Houpapa looks like a good prospect but he's definitely not ready yet. Will he make the Black Caps in the future? Only if he can keep his average up over the next few seasons. How many times have we seen one player gun it one season only to fade into medicority for the next seven?

I'm wary of McCullum opening still. For mine he's our best finisher and without him there and McMillan we really rely on Oram to bail us out with a quickfire 50 now. But I guess if McCullum opening strengthens our top order so we're not 2 for 12 anymore then I guess it's the better of the two.

If we're going to have McCullum open, Vincent is a better ODI batsman than Sinclair, no doubt about it. VIncent has batted down the order before without much success, but who knows how he'll do there a second time around? I have a feeling that we'll never know, though, and that VIncent will only be brought back into the side to open. I'd like to be wrong, though.
AWTA completely. As soon as Vincent earns a recall I'd put him down for number 6. If after a couple of years he is really, really struggling and Houpapa is in form then swap them.

NZTailender

It's funny - we actually have a pretty hard-to-break-into middle order. I'd definitely like to see Broom come into the side but he's more suited to a 3/4/5 role rather than a finisher at 6.

Gillie

Cricket Spectator
I think the selectors have picked the wrong side for the test series.
It should be
How
Fleming
Taylor
Styris
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Gillespie
Patel
Martin

Anyone agree???

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
It should be
How
Fleming
Taylor
Styris
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Gillespie
Patel
Martin

Anyone agree???
I think the selectors would have been remiss to include Gillespie, considering he's injured at the moment.

Can't agree with Fleming opening though - while it wasn't much, I thought Cumming did enough in South Africa to be perservered with, while Bell has earned his recall. With Fleming batting 3 or 4, Taylor - who will have more chances in future - needs to come out, and I'm a big fan of Fulton and can see why they've opted for him ahead of Styris (although I don't necessarily agree with it).

NZTailender

It should be
How
Fleming
Taylor
Styris
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Gillespie
Patel
Martin

Anyone agree???
No. Fleming opening is just wrong, even though it's only Bangladesh. Taylor isn't ready for test cricket and Dunedin provides about as much spin as a concrete block at the bottom of the sea.

I agree though that Gillespie should be playing. At first I thought he was left out because he was injured, but now it appears he was dropped. WTF? He got a 5fer on debut ffs.

Flem274*

123/5
It should be
How
Fleming
Taylor
Styris
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Gillespie
Patel
Martin

Anyone agree???
My reasons are because:

A) Fleming has already failed opening and is our best middle order batsman. Never sacrifice a strength to cover a weakness.

B) Taylor is not a test standard number 3. He's not test standard full stop. Bangladesh would own him at number 3.

C) Fulton has alot more potential and a better FC batsman than Strys

D) Oram is not a number 5. He'd have to face the second new ball AND/OR spinners. He'd fail miserably

E) Gillespie is injured unfortunately

Flem274*

123/5
This is for anyone.
Give me your test ELEVEN (your 'A' team)
Cumming
Bell
Sinclair
Fleming
Fulton
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Gillespie
Mason

Franklin and Bond would be selected if they weren't injured of course. The openers was the hardest choice.

Craig

World Traveller
You snooze, you lose.

Gutted not to have watched that ODI, just wanted to see hitting like that by McCullum, I mean he must of been fuming that Bangladesh didn't get like 115 or something so he could of got a ton.