• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in New Zealand

Fiery

Banned
Why yes, afterall Chris Cairns was such a smashing success when he was brought into the side as a 19 year old. And Martin Crowe too, he was superb right off the bat.
And those two turned out to be real turkeys didn't they? :dry:

Flem274*

123/5
Why yes, afterall Chris Cairns was such a smashing success when he was brought into the side as a 19 year old. And Martin Crowe too, he was superb right off the bat. For goodness sake, even if Southee is a player of the future, one game is not going to give him anything. Getting used to playing international cricket and playing in a national side is what the NZA set up is for, and I'm sure we'll see him on an A tour before long. Playing for the national side now will give him nothing, and will probably ruin his confident if he gets bashed all over the park by a minnow side like Bangladesh (as occured in the 20/20 game). Really you would've thought that yesterday's match, given how scattergun and inconsistent he was, would've tipped people off to the fact that he's still developing and growing as a player, and belongs in a cricketing nursery, not on the world stage. And that's completely setting aside the threats of injury that can arise by playing a youngster before they're ready.
Actualy i forgot about NZ A so yeah put him in there. I don't think Fiery was suggesting using him all the time though.

He wasn't that innaccurate either, it was just good shots from the bangladeshis. There were a few wides but they can happen at his age and gametime in NZ A will sort that out. Thought he was the best bowler behing Mason actualy. Not that O'Brien is much competition.

Loved that Styris bouncer BTW.

Flem274*

123/5
Crowe says himself he shouldn't have been picked do early. Also remember his and Cairns's injury records? The were overworked too young IMO and they should definitely have not been in the side fulltime. Also bowlers are different to batsmen, especially injury prone NZ seamers.

Fiery

Banned
Crowe says himself he shouldn't have been picked do early. Also remember his and Cairns's injury records? The were overworked too young IMO and they should definitely have not been in the side fulltime. Also bowlers are different to batsmen, especially injury prone NZ seamers.
One games not going to hurt him. I think Crowe and Cairns are wrong in saying it did them harm. Hardened them up imo

Flem274*

123/5
One games not going to hurt him. I think Crowe and Cairns are wrong in saying it did them harm. Hardened them up imo
Because you know more about them then they know about themselves? Nuh uh. One game against Bangladesh or prefferably Zimbabwe sure, in side full time=No no no no no

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah well, imagine how good Cairns might've been had the selectors waited a couple of years. Not only might it have ridden him of his belief that he was goods gift to cricket, and allowed him to develop into a world class cricketer before he turned 30. And that's setting aside the injury damage that he did to himself. And Crowe probably would've had a career average of over 50 if he'd been left alone for a couple of years.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Can someone explain what makes Southee so special? Hardly has a cracking record to date.
Ive never seen him play but his record is pretty good I thought. Averaging 29 in first class cricket, ,,,,for a guy that just turned 19 a few weeks ago. Thats not bad imo Oh, he shouldnt be picked imo. too young

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah well, imagine how good Cairns might've been had the selectors waited a couple of years. Not only might it have ridden him of his belief that he was goods gift to cricket, and allowed him to develop into a world class cricketer before he turned 30. And that's setting aside the injury damage that he did to himself. And Crowe probably would've had a career average of over 50 if he'd been left alone for a couple of years.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

James

Cricket Web Owner
Ive never seen him play but his record is pretty good I thought. Averaging 29 in first class cricket, ,,,,for a guy that just turned 19 a few weeks ago. Thats not bad imo Oh, he shouldnt be picked imo. too young
I agree, it's a good record, but hardly one that says "I should be picked for NZ right now". :blink:

Fiery

Banned
Because you know more about them then they know about themselves? Nuh uh. One game against Bangladesh or prefferably Zimbabwe sure, in side full time=No no no no no
It's very common for people to make excuses and say " coud have been much better if...." you know?

Fiery

Banned
That's all hypothetical

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That's all hypothetical
Even if it is, it's hard to see how leaving them out of the national side for a couple of years for them to develop would have hurt their careers. And almost everyone agrees that Crowe and Cairns (I remember seeing a documentary on Cairns where Crowe actually said he was far too young when he came into the side), were too young. And besides those two, how many players from the sub continent have we seen hurried into the national side in their teens, utterly fail and are never seen again, in comparison to the few who've actually managed to succeed from such an age?

Fiery

Banned
Even if it is, it's hard to see how leaving them out of the national side for a couple of years for them to develop would have hurt their careers. And almost everyone agrees that Crowe and Cairns (I remember seeing a documentary on Cairns where Crowe actually said he was far too young when he came into the side), were too young. And besides those two, how many players from the sub continent have we seen hurried into the national side in their teens, utterly fail and are never seen again, in comparison to the few who've actually managed to succeed from such an age?
Yes but how many cases are there where cricketers excel because of it. Tendulkar your best example probably

Fiery

Banned
Yes but how many cases are there where cricketers excel because of it. Tendulkar your best example probably. If you're good enough, you're old enough. Vettori's NZ's best example

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes but how many cases are there where cricketers excel because of it. Tendulkar your best example probably. If you're good enough, you're old enough. Vettori's NZ's best example
Southee isn't good enough yet, that's the main point.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well we don't really know yet, do we? And wont unless we try him
Or we can let him continue his growth in the domestic arena and improve as a bowler before rushing him into international cricket and possibly ruining him. I know which option I'd choose.

Fiery

Banned
Or we can let him continue his growth in the domestic arena and improve as a bowler before rushing him into international cricket and possibly ruining him. I know which option I'd choose.
Maybe you're right. We're a bit thin on bowlers at the moment so it would be great to unearth a good young talent. Risky business of course