• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in New Zealand

Flem274*

123/5
And you should be ashamed of yourself for being unable to see the bigger picture.
I do see the big picture. Doesn't mean we need to lose to Bangladesh. When NZ takes the field I don't give a **** about all the off field stuff I just want them to win. You're entitled to your opinion though.

Even if its wrong.:p

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I do see the big picture. Doesn't mean we need to lose to Bangladesh. When NZ takes the field I don't give a **** about all the off field stuff I just want them to win. You're entitled to your opinion though.

Even if its wrong.:p
"Ashamed of yourself" was probably a bit harsh in my post, but I think you knew what I meant.

I try to remain as unbiased as possible when watching cricket. Obviously I love seeing New Zealand doing well, and Bangladesh too. Same goes for a couple of players, Gilchrist at the head of the list, but I just want to see competitive quality cricket really. Bangladesh played much better and deserved to win. I'm just hoping that this will send the message to people around the place.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
James Marshall cops a lot of stick based on his brother's failures and I find it a bit unfair. I probably wouldn't pick him either, but he really hasn't played a lot of international cricket at all and when he has, it has usually been in alien roles. He has actually performed very well in all forms of the game over the past three seasons, even if his overall domestic record is poor.

As I said, he wouldn't be my pick, but his repuation on this forum seems to have more to do with Hamish's career than him.
Thank god someone has come out and said this.

HeathDavisSpeed

As I said, he wouldn't be my pick, but his repuation on this forum seems to have more to do with Hamish's career than him.
How often have you watched James 'live' in domestic cricket. I slag him off based on having watched him play on numerous occasions rather than just making assumptions based on the career of his brother. Having played against James in indoor cricket and having bowled him with a dibbly-dobbley slow ball middle-stump also lowers my opinion of him somewhat. He wasn't even trying to belt me for a seven, just play me into the side netting and was bowled. He's a poor player. Full stop.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm well I did say that Bangladesh are capable of a surprise win during the tour and so it turned out to be. Have to say that they were very impressive, especially their opening bowlers and Raza and Sakib-al Hasan with the bat.

New Zealand's top order...hmmm. Major advantage for Bangladesh heading into the ODI series. Mashrafe who I consider Bangladesh's best bowler didn't even play either. Its a worrying sign that it could've been worse as the umpiring was poor (against both sides).

I still think Ashraful needs to have a fine leg AND deep square leg, otherwise he will continue to play his scoop shot with no worry of being dismissed. Aftab also may need both given his liking to that shot. I'm not too worried about the rest of the order with Vettori and Oram to fill the roles of Styris and O'Brien tonight, as both were pretty poor IMO.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm very much a NZ cricket fan. I do like Bangladesh though, alot, and I think that anything that can help strengthen them is good. As it is, things have to change with the Black Caps, and we could do with a few losses against 'minnows'.
Losing against Bangladesh would be disasterous for the cricket in this country - it hasn't been great since the World Cup but I'd say that defeats in the ODI or test series against the Bangas would be the most humiliating in our country's history. Can't see where you're coming from - yes Bangladesh would benefit hugely from the wins, but the experience of playing in foreign conditions would also do them good. From a NZ supporter I'm shocked!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim Southee is a ****ing legend BTW.

If we win the first two games, and we should, I'd be tempted to give Southee another taste in a dead game against weaker opposition. I think he has it mentally to play the odd ODI. Might be best to err on the side of caution though.
Given that the match tonight was the first time I'd actually seen him play, I was impressed. Should've had Aftab Ahmed gone first ball, got rid of the other Bangladeshi opener and bowled with good pace and swung the ball. Needs more accuracy but at 19 he showed a lot more nous than the lot of Under 19s that got smashed by a bunch of retired players in the curtain raiser.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
:thumbsup:. What the hell were James Marshall and O'Brien doing in that team though? Seriously, the selectors need to totally forget either was ever born
To be fair, James Marshall was probably our second best batsman of the evening behind Styris! O'Brien was aweful admittedly.

At least Hopkins scored some runs in a New Zealand shirt for once.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
How often have you watched James 'live' in domestic cricket. I slag him off based on having watched him play on numerous occasions rather than just making assumptions based on the career of his brother. Having played against James in indoor cricket and having bowled him with a dibbly-dobbley slow ball middle-stump also lowers my opinion of him somewhat. He wasn't even trying to belt me for a seven, just play me into the side netting and was bowled. He's a poor player. Full stop.
I'd say the Marshalls have a tendancy to get out to those types of deliveries then! (remembering Hamish playing all round a long hop from Cam White in a Chappell-Hadlee match in 2005/06)

I actually thought that James played quite well tonight. His role with Styris in was obviously to give him the strike and he was hardly to blame for Styris hitting a half volley to long off. Then he was starved of strike in the final over with Michael Mason wanting a succession of twos.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Poor. Oh well, not to worry. I'm not surprised the U19's got flattened by the golden oldies. U19 sides, even the better ones, are always rubbish, with almost all the players being 3-4 years away from becoming first class. As for the main show, one can't be too upset. Afterall, it would've been a bit miserable if Bangladesh had gotten stuffed in their own charity match.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, I wasn't really referring to you with my post, I know you see a lot more of players at domestic level and I respect your opinion greatly. There are a few on this site who tend to just group the Marshall players as a package though, even though their careers have been very different. James probably deserves a go based on his numbers in the past few seasons in one day cricket - whether he deserves a go based on how likely he is to succeed or not is a different matter, but I don't believe many who rubbish him are in a position to judge on that.

Fiery

Banned
Yeah, I wasn't really referring to you with my post, I know you see a lot more of players at domestic level and I respect your opinion greatly. There are a few on this site who tend to just group the Marshall players as a package though, even though their careers have been very different. James probably deserves a go based on his numbers in the past few seasons in one day cricket - whether he deserves a go based on how likely he is to succeed or not is a different matter, but I don't believe many who rubbish him are in a position to judge on that.
I try as much as I can to disassociate the two but being identical twins it's obvious that their batting styles and mental strength will be very similar. The fact is both are bad and I think Hamish is actually better which doesn't say a lot for James, unfortunately

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If we win the first two games, and we should, I'd be tempted to give Southee another taste in a dead game against weaker opposition. I think he has it mentally to play the odd ODI. Might be best to err on the side of caution though.
8-)
Really. He's 19 and he's had a couple of good games in first class cricket, and that's suddenly all the criteria you need to fulfill to play intl cricket? Besides, he'll gain nothing from playing a meaningless ODI against Bangladesh that he wouldn't get from just sticking to First Class cricketly. He's a talent, but honestly, just leave him alone to develop for a year or two.

Natman20

International Debutant
Well results is no suprise considering bowling line-up. Mason, O'Brien, Southee etc. I would have expected Bangladesh to chase down around 160 with that line-up. It is only a fun match not the end of the world. Marshall I must say was more impressive than I have seen him before in any internationals (around 10 odis with an average of about 7.00). He looked solid last night and I wouldn't be suprised to see him in the squad for England if our batsmen fail again in this series. It definately is time to experiment now while they have the chance against Bangladesh now though.

Flem274*

123/5
8-)
Really. He's 19 and he's had a couple of good games in first class cricket, and that's suddenly all the criteria you need to fulfill to play intl cricket? Besides, he'll gain nothing from playing a meaningless ODI against Bangladesh that he wouldn't get from just sticking to First Class cricketly. He's a talent, but honestly, just leave him alone to develop for a year or two.
One dead game against a semi minnow ODI side would give him alot of confidence. By no means should we use him full time but one game would be good for him as a taster for international cricket.

Perm

No, it would only serve to ruin his development. He's far, far, far better off getting lots of domestic cricket under his belt. Really, what good would come of an ODI appearance? If he bowled well then he'd probably be selected again, which would ruin him. If he bowled poorly then people would write him off.

Fiery

Banned
No, it would only serve to ruin his development. He's far, far, far better off getting lots of domestic cricket under his belt. Really, what good would come of an ODI appearance? If he bowled well then he'd probably be selected again, which would ruin him. If he bowled poorly then people would write him off.
Depends on the player. Some young guys excel when thrown in at an early age. Too many examples to mention. He's obviously a player of the future. It's only Bangladesh and would be a good opportunity for him to get familiar with the environment of a NZ camp. Give him a game or 2, I reckon. Even if he does really well, I wouldn't play him against England

cricman

International 12th Man
Both our wins vs New Zealand have been in unofficial matches, but i feel like we can steal an ODI albeit even if it's in a dead ODI ... our bats have been solid just playing 50 overs putting up totals in 220-250 range our bowling and fielding are going to have be above par and than we can really defend that type of total.

The most realisitic way of I see of us winning is by chasing a target, so the tosses are really going to be important.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Depends on the player. Some young guys excel when thrown in at an early age. Too many examples to mention. He's obviously a player of the future. It's only Bangladesh and would be a good opportunity for him to get familiar with the environment of a NZ camp. Give him a game or 2, I reckon. Even if he does really well, I wouldn't play him against England
Why yes, afterall Chris Cairns was such a smashing success when he was brought into the side as a 19 year old. And Martin Crowe too, he was superb right off the bat. For goodness sake, even if Southee is a player of the future, one game is not going to give him anything. Getting used to playing international cricket and playing in a national side is what the NZA set up is for, and I'm sure we'll see him on an A tour before long. Playing for the national side now will give him nothing, and will probably ruin his confident if he gets bashed all over the park by a minnow side like Bangladesh (as occured in the 20/20 game). Really you would've thought that yesterday's match, given how scattergun and inconsistent he was, would've tipped people off to the fact that he's still developing and growing as a player, and belongs in a cricketing nursery, not on the world stage. And that's completely setting aside the threats of injury that can arise by playing a youngster before they're ready.