• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Laurrz

International Debutant
wonderful day... how bull**** was it when they came off though... bah...but we should make up for that with an early start tomorrow and a late finish too

'Mostly Sunny' in Hobart tomorrow... 22 degrees... excellent..should be a powepacked day of cricket...
I guess that means better batting conditions as it was swinging for Lee and Midge coz of the cloud cover today.. but i don't care i want a day of interrupted cricket :)

highlight was Gilly... 100 sixes for the great man.. loved those sixes... and how the dude in the hill just pointed at the sky (the second one) haha as it went sailing out of the ground

Going to be tough to get 20 Lankan wickets... i think if we bowl em out for around 350 we should win though.. that should be our first target
SCG MacGill the key i think.. Murali was turning it heaps and Macca will get to bowl at 3 lefties (will help with the rough)

Laurrz

International Debutant
I think Australia's dominance (particularly (sp) by the batsmen) can be summed up the following stats:

Lee - 65 test matches, 61 innings
MacGill - 42 test matches, 45 innings
Clark - 11 test matches, 10 innings

That means Australia has hardly ever had to bat twice.
even Gilly, 91 matches 129 innings :unsure:

Laurrz

International Debutant
hope Symo is right for tomorrow...his presence in the field was missed today.. (Hilfy was at point)

and for bowling too

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I'm sure Murali's 3 wickets for 310 runs this series will serve as ammunition for his critics, but it hasn't changed the way I view Murali. In my opinion, Murali can bowl anywhere in the world, including Australia. It's just that he came against some really classy batting, especially from Michael Hussey. Against only slightly worser opposition Murali could take 5 or 6. In fact if he gets another bowl in the second innings I wouldn't be suprised if he did.

I just hope it doesn't get pedantic years from now like it does with Dennis Lillee in Pakistan. Years after it happened some idiot got the idea that Lillee couldn't bowl in Pakistan because he had an indifferent series (in which several legitimate lbw shouts were denied),. Years from now I hope people don't start looking up Murali's stats and say, "oh he suffered in Australia, he must've struggled on those harder wickets". Bullsh*t! Murali bowled the same way he did today than when he took fivers... you just have to applaud some great batting.

Don't rely on stats. Everybody knows Murali is a proven wicket-taker. I feel stupid having to even say that. Lets hope people don't knock Murali for this series.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually Ian Chappell made what I thought was a great point today about how Murali hasn't bowled in second innings against Australia in Australia (aside from in the World XI match). I would think there'd barely be finger spinner in Aus who has taken first-day wickets and without the opportunity to take wickets on a wearing 5th day deck, Murali has basically had to bowl in Australia when the pitch has been at its best. I don't think this totally excuses what will likely end up being a pretty poor record in Aus (especially since an international newbie, Monty Panesar, took 5-fer on the WACA day 1 last year of all places) but it certainly wouldn't help. I do remember when he took that 3/55 in the World XI match in the second innings and he did look far more dangerous. The ball that got Gillie was a jaffa.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Major problems for Murali

1. Lack of support means he's always bowling to batsmen who are set, intent on keeping him out as they recognise he's the only threat, only facing him once in the best conditions, and, significantly, he's been consigned to stock-bowler role

2. Competency of Oz batsmen limits the no. of fieldsmen around the bat thereby significantly reducing his chance of taking wickets

3. Has played in tests in Oz on grounds that are hardly conducive to finger-spin (Richard's theory aside)

4. Dismiss first tour as he was:

a. a relative novice with virtually no variation; and

b. called in a game which must have taken focus off bowling

All in all, he's bowled pretty well but I've still been a bit disappointed with his lack of alternate plans.

Unlike Warne, who'd try anything to get a wicket, there have been times when Murali has seemed content to just wheel away - maybe he's been under instructions to do so but it hasnt done him or his side any good to date

pup11

International Coach
Tomorrow would be a very interesting day the fact that we weren't able to pick any wickets today with the new ball would make things tougher for us tomorrow, not giving Stuey Clark a bowl today was a bad move IMO, anyways i think MacGilla is the key man if Australia are to bowl out Lankans twice in this game since pitch doesn't have much in it for the fast bowlers and as the game progresses this pitch would offer big turn IMO so MacGilla should capitalise on that.
Superb batting display by all the Aussie batsman and good to see Symonds and Gilly getting runs and they surely finished off the innings in style, but Jaques, Hussey and Clarke were the true stars of the Australian batting display, would have loved to see Pup getting another ton but nonetheless it was good innings from him too.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Also, as someone mentioned, he has almost never bowled in the second innings in Australia.

Regardless, the Aussie batsman do play him fantastically.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Major problems for Murali

1. Lack of support means he's always bowling to batsmen who are set, intent on keeping him out as they recognise he's the only threat, only facing him once in the best conditions, and, significantly, he's been consigned to stock-bowler role

2. Competency of Oz batsmen limits the no. of fieldsmen around the bat thereby significantly reducing his chance of taking wickets

3. Has played in tests in Oz on grounds that are hardly conducive to finger-spin (Richard's theory aside)

4. Dismiss first tour as he was:

a. a relative novice with virtually no variation; and

b. called in a game which must have taken focus off bowling

All in all, he's bowled pretty well but I've still been a bit disappointed with his lack of alternate plans.

Unlike Warne, who'd try anything to get a wicket, there have been times when Murali has seemed content to just wheel away - maybe he's been under instructions to do so but it hasnt done him or his side any good to date
Yeah, great post, and I agree on all points. Murali hasn't bowled badly by any means, and I think he is quite capable of taking wickets on any surface, including those in Australia, but he has looked a little lost at times, and the wonderful planning and execution by the Australian batsmen along with the unhelpful conditions has hurt him more than I expected it would.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Also, as someone mentioned, he has almost never bowled in the second innings in Australia.
I still stand by what I said, but I will mention that throughout his career Murali's gotten just about as many first innings wickets as second. You could maybe argue sub-continent wickets are more condusive to spin early on and that helps him, whereas in Australia you it's easier to take wickets in the second innings. Arrgh too many variables. Also Murali's really a wrist spinner, not a finger spinner.

All the same, his Australian figures are utterly irrelevant. We know he can take wickets in either innings.

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
What more could he gave done though? He bowled over and around the wicket. Made the ball go both ways, added some flight (which is how he got Ponting) at times and threw it all at them. He was deadly accurate too.

I think you just have to give props to the Aussies.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm sure Murali's 3 wickets for 310 runs this series will serve as ammunition for his critics, but it hasn't changed the way I view Murali. In my opinion, Murali can bowl anywhere in the world, including Australia. It's just that he came against some really classy batting, especially from Michael Hussey. Against only slightly worser opposition Murali could take 5 or 6. In fact if he gets another bowl in the second innings I wouldn't be suprised if he did.

Don't rely on stats. Everybody knows Murali is a proven wicket-taker. I feel stupid having to even say that. Lets hope people don't knock Murali for this series.
You are spot on. Murali has bowled very well. But on Day 1 and 2 wkts that he has bowled on, and two flat tracks at that, he has been negated with some very good batting.He has also not been supported in the field (another dropped catch on Day 2 yesterday at silly mid on) nor from the other end as the pressure has not been built up.

I hope Murali gets a go on Day 4 or Day 5 to bowl in to a bit of rough. He is bowling well enough to get a fifer.

Woodster

International Captain
I would have thought very few players play him as well as Hussey and Clarke have in this series. Excellent footwork, going forward or back and as a result have negated Murali's turn to a degree. Also the rotation of strike just makes it that bit more awkward with him continually having to change his line.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As much as I like Murali, I have to say Warne would've gotten more wickets in these circumstances. Kumble too.
Would Warne have got more wickets with Fernando and Malinga bowling at the other end? Maybe, but I doubt he would have got a bagfull against Australia's top order.