• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Laurrz

International Debutant
Great day! (unless ur Sri Lankan or just a cricket fan who wants a close contest)
seems like only rain can save Lanka now... hopefully it goes away

Watching Pup bat is just a treat... he is so nimble with his feet.. great stuff... i didnt get to watch Tendulkar and Lara bat to Murali and i haven't watched Murali that much but that is the best ive seen a batsman play against Murali...so confident and remember he did come in, in a very tricky period with Muralis confidence very high
Read the doosra well too

This reminds me a lot about the Gabba test last year... where Australia racked up a heap of runs and then we had a short stint at their batting in the end of day 2... but instead of 2 wickets we got 3...

like i said, the pitch is flat but theres enough bounce to trouble the Lankans... and our pace attack looks the goods... IMO won't be too long till the person in my avvy tears up :D

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It hurts doesn't it .... I mean does the Best Team need all this help to defeat teams in their own back yard...?

I would say no...it doesn't....I mean this whole business of Ricky Ponting putting pressure on Umpires about light even before the innings had started etc... if someone else did it there will be huge hugh and cry about this sort of thing but he just gets away with it ...its an Australian thing isn't it...I mean George Gregan did it all the time back chatting referees ...same Punter arguing with Umps and pressurising them (ie Aleem Dar and others) today with Rudi before the SL inninngs even got started....I mean is it all necessary ....Can't you just win just by playing good Cricket alone...without getting all this sort of assistance ...
Hahaha 8-)

Son Of Coco

It hurts doesn't it .... I mean does the Best Team need all this help to defeat teams in their own back yard...?

I would say no...it doesn't....I mean this whole business of Ricky Ponting putting pressure on Umpires about light even before the innings had started etc... if someone else did it there will be huge hugh and cry about this sort of thing but he just gets away with it ...its an Australian thing isn't it...I mean George Gregan did it all the time back chatting referees ...same Punter arguing with Umps and pressurising them (ie Aleem Dar and others) today with Rudi before the SL inninngs even got started....I mean is it all necessary ....Can't you just win just by playing good Cricket alone...without getting all this sort of assistance ...
I don't think this is what really hurts at the moment, at least not for SL fans...either way, a scapegoat is a comfort blanket.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Well for me he hasn't made the batsmen play enough with the new ball, his line was outside the off-stump and he was angling the ball away from the right handed batsmen, but the problem is if he doesn't swing the ball back into a right handed batsman then he becomes a very predictable bowler which is a problem, his pace has been good so far but lets see how he bowls in the remaining game.
He'll learn from this.. i am 100% sure they will work on how he will bowl with the new ball and they will tell him to bowl closer to the stumps

the Lankans did look a bit uncertain against him... he bowled one very good yorker to Mahela and then a bouncer to him too

but the problem can't be swing bowling...as he swung it heaps in India (ask Tendulkar)

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
Don't care how many replays you watch, I was watching the cricket with a few people and they all went up for Jayasuriya's wicket. I know now he wasn't out, but live you know you heard a knick.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
He'll learn from this.. i am 100% sure they will work on how he will bowl with the new ball and they will tell him to bowl closer to the stumps

the Lankans did look a bit uncertain against him... he bowled one very good yorker to Mahela and then a bouncer to him too

but the problem can't be swing bowling...as he swung it heaps in India (ask Tendulkar)
There is a major difference between swinging the white ball and red ball, ask Nathan Bracken.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think this is what really hurts at the moment, at least not for SL fans...either way, a scapegoat is a comfort blanket.
From where you sit it would seem that way....an initial break thru in any innings is extremely valuable...anyway you look at it....and I will leave it there. good night.

Laurrz

International Debutant
There is a major difference between swinging the white ball and red ball, ask Nathan Bracken.
agreed
ive said all along it's a challenge for Midge to transform his good OD bowling to tests...
i guess what i meant what ability to swing the ball..ie. he knows how to

(btw Bracken wouldn't be the greatest example.. he has swung it a lot with the red ball in both first class and tests)

Laurrz

International Debutant
Don't care how many replays you watch, I was watching the cricket with a few people and they all went up for Jayasuriya's wicket. I know now he wasn't out, but live you know you heard a knick.
yea..these sort of stuff happen..
and yes it seems like it always goes in Aussie's favour but IMO the team doing well will get the better decisions..it's just how it is.. it's weird but true

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Bracken swings the red ball miles...

Lee would probably be a better example, but he swings the red ball sometimes too.
Don't think he swings the red ball that consistently unless the conditions are pretty good for swing, with over cast conditions and a fairly juicy pitch.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Agreed. Give Jaques a break you idiots. Sure it was a scratchy knock yesterday, but if you think he's always like that, it proves that you haven't watched him enough to judge. I've followed him for a long time and he's played some brilliant, brilliant innings in the last few years. He's certainly the long term option for Langer.
yep, you can tell if theres a gun batsman if he's struggling AND still getting runs

this guy just gives u the impression he is hungry for runs...

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Jeez Hussey is a gun! You drop him on 13 at your peril.

And its good to see Andrew Symonds come good.

Nice start to the summer by Lee as well.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Day 2 Highlights Clip

Looking forward to a sunny day at the Gabba tomorrow for watching my first days live action for this summer.

Last edited:

Josh

International Regular
Best sight of the day:

Well, it wasn't the Hussey ton, nor the one from Clarke; not even Symonds blasting his way to 53 not out. What was the best sight of today's play??

Macgill being hit for 3 boundaries in an over!

Johnners

Sheesh, cut him some slack, it's not like the ball was new and not ideal for a spin bowler to be using was it.