• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Best sight of the day:

Macgill being hit for 3 boundaries in an over!
Typical Australian fan is happy when:

a) Australia wins by an innings
b) Australia wins in a close contest
c) Australia wins and MacGill gets smashed

Lock in (c) Eddie.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Went to bed at when Hussey got his ton (I really resent work for making me unable to pull all-nighters) and so missed Pup ton up himself and Andy's late fireworks, but all in all couldn't be happier with the way things have gone so far. Huss is just a machine - I've said it before but it seems insane that he hasn't been a fixture in the Test side for a decade such is his utter comfort at that level. Clarke's footwork is a joy to behold and it's great to see him start the summer in such form.

And then Binga steps up - I took a while to rate him at Test level, but you can't fault much of what he's done over the past couple of years.

Hoping for Mitch to get stuck in with a couple of debut wickets, and that MacGill gets a couple as well - call me un-Australian but I'd always prefer to see a bloke in a baggy green cap succeed rather than fail.

pup11

International Coach
Well its an absolute common occurrence every Summer I have watched Cricket in Australia for at least 10-15 years...and it seems they invite guys like Rudi over and over for that reason....

Every summer in every Test the Aussies get at least 2-3 a Test on average...and this today was the first of those for this Test....And I expect couple more of these from Rudi and possibly Tony Hill in the morning session tomorrow.

The Australian slip cordon and Gilchrist in particular were pretty culpable in this instance for misleading the Umpire ....and Rudi with his deaf ears(he acknowledges wearing hearing Aides) is a fool if he thinks the Aussies only go up in Appeal for genuine nicks...
From where you sit it would seem that way....an initial break thru in any innings is extremely valuable...anyway you look at it....and I will leave it there. good night.
Mate what's wrong with you, what makes you say that Australia invite the likes of Rudi for test series at home, its the ICC which decides which umpire officiates in which game!
Everyone in the forum agrees that Sanath got a rough decision today but the umpire is to be blamed for that how can you drag the Australian team into this is beyond me. :confused:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Something about MacGill didnt look right tonight, I know it was only three overs and he's been sitting on his ass for two days. But he just looked very flat off the pitch, not so worried about the bad balls because he's always been someone you can count on for a fair few of those, nor the lack of drift because he's never really beaten batsman in the air so much either. But the lack of turn, the balls he was landing werent deviating very much at all... I think thats a big worry, because the one thing MacGill has always had going for him is the huge sidespin he imparts and turn he gets on his legbreak. Because he's spinning the ball big and has a good googly it means he's always in the frame for a wicket, even though he dosent build pressure through accuracy the way Warne or Murali would and dosent have the same subtlety or variation in his bowling. But if he's lost some of that turn and fizz off the wicket I fear he will disappear very quickly.

Josh

International Regular
Not much of a spinners wicket, tbh. Look at all of Murali's overs and find me a ball that spun anywhere near the amount he normally turns the ball.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ugh, watching Australia is just like watching Bangladesh. One sided matches are no fun - and I was really looking forward to this too.

White Lightning

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
well what a floggin this one is turning out to be....

different team, same story. it is all becoming a tad lame isn't it.

You can basically write this one off now can't you. The Sri Lankan's, may be able to dig in and force a draw but it would be near impossible for them to win it from here.

Unfortunately had to work this afternoon so missed the last two sessions, but i guess i could just flashback to any of the past 15 gabba tests and would have an idea of what happened yeah?? just replace the names of M Waugh, S Waugh, Boon with Hussey, Clarke and Symonds??

just on a side note re the umpires. this may or may not have been bought up here (well the first one has because i did, but just in case people didn't see it earlier, and then ask me what about Tony Hill??)

1 - Tony Hill is a Kiwi. New Zealand and Australia have reciprocal working and living rights. basically an EU style system between the two countries.

2 - Rudi Kuertzen lives in Queensland. I didn't realise this. He must have permenant residence, or possibly even an Australia passport.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
well what a floggin this one is turning out to be....

different team, same story. it is all becoming a tad lame isn't it.

You can basically write this one off now can't you. The Sri Lankan's, may be able to dig in and force a draw but it would be near impossible for them to win it from here.

Unfortunately had to work this afternoon so missed the last two sessions, but i guess i could just flashback to any of the past 15 gabba tests and would have an idea of what happened yeah?? just replace the names of M Waugh, S Waugh, Boon with Hussey, Clarke and Symonds??

just on a side note re the umpires. this may or may not have been bought up here (well the first one has because i did, but just in case people didn't see it earlier, and then ask me what about Tony Hill??)

1 - Tony Hill is a Kiwi. New Zealand and Australia have reciprocal working and living rights. basically an EU style system between the two countries.

2 - Rudi Kuertzen lives in Queensland. I didn't realise this. He must have permenant residence, or possibly even an Australia passport.
Are you sure Kuertzen lives in Queensland. I know Dave Orchard is now a Queensland umpire and he does a lot of domestic matches, but had not hear of Kuertzen living in Queensland.

White Lightning

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Are you sure Kuertzen lives in Queensland. I know Dave Orchard is now a Queensland umpire and he does a lot of domestic matches, but had not hear of Kuertzen living in Queensland.
yeah i didn't realise it either.

but i asked my old man today and he just shot it straight back at me without even blinking an eye lid so i'm just going off that. he's usually pretty clued on about these sort of things.

could be wrong but it makes sense as to how they were able to arrange him for the test so quickly...

JBH001

International Regular
Well its an absolute common occurrence every Summer I have watched Cricket in Australia for at least 10-15 years...and it seems they invite guys like Rudi over and over for that reason....

Every summer in every Test the Aussies get at least 2-3 a Test on average...and this today was the first of those for this Test....And I expect couple more of these from Rudi and possibly Tony Hill in the morning session tomorrow.

The Australian slip cordon and Gilchrist in particular were pretty culpable in this instance for misleading the Umpire ....and Rudi with his deaf ears(he acknowledges wearing hearing Aides) is a fool if he thinks the Aussies only go up in Appeal for genuine nicks...
8-)

You really do say some stupid stuff sometimes, jason.

Australia has again demonstrated why they are still the Best Team in the World....Great batting by Hussey and Clarke....

Brilliant batting...they have put Australia Right on top ...
Agreed. Clarke impressed me no end, did not think he was that good against spin.

Murali was as poor as the rest of them...and SL failure to have Malinga in the squad would ensure they get a real good drubbing possibly by innings even...
Man, you are not much of a supporter are you?
Malinga is good, but he is not that good. He may, may, have been effective on the first day but as the pitch evened out on the second into a near perfect batting track he would have been tonked around too - dont think for a minute that he wouldn't. He is a good bowler but he is no magic talisman, his test record so far is a testament to that fact.

Also, Murali bowled well. Against Australia his lack of effective support really shows and when he was reduced to a stock role on the second day (on the first day he was bowling as a proper strike bowler) it was pretty much all she wrote. Worse, he was unable to make those little incisions he sometimes makes in that role where after a wicket he can re-adopt a strike role and hopefully get another couple of quick wickets. But to say that Murali was as poor as the rest of them is to make light of the fact that he bowled 50 overs, most of them of good quality, to quality batsmen. Get a grip, jason.

JBH001

International Regular
Not much of a spinners wicket, tbh. Look at all of Murali's overs and find me a ball that spun anywhere near the amount he normally turns the ball.
He was getting some grip on the first day, probably when there was some moisture in the wicket. But yes, on the second day there was little on the wicket - even for him.

I did not get to watch MacGill last night, but looking forward to seeing how he goes in the morning session. I really hope the SL top and middle order puts some good effort because it remains a good wicket, but everytime I watch the SL batting order I watch with my heart in my throat conscious that disaster is only a few balls away.

Edit/ Whats worse is that my other team, the Slack Caps, are imploding against SA. That batting performance that I had the misfortune to watch live was pure *ugh*

Bracken

U19 Debutant
It hurts doesn't it .... I mean does the Best Team need all this help to defeat teams in their own back yard...?

I would say no...it doesn't....I mean this whole business of Ricky Ponting putting pressure on Umpires about light even before the innings had started etc... if someone else did it there will be huge hugh and cry about this sort of thing but he just gets away with it ...its an Australian thing isn't it...I mean George Gregan did it all the time back chatting referees ...same Punter arguing with Umps and pressurising them (ie Aleem Dar and others) today with Rudi before the SL inninngs even got started....I mean is it all necessary ....Can't you just win just by playing good Cricket alone...without getting all this sort of assistance ...
No, sir- it doesn't hurt at all. See, I have this little quality called "perspective". You should try it sometime- it is most comforting.

See, when you have this perspective, you recognise that all teams occasionally get calls go their way, and all teams get calls go against them. Sometimes, that fortune extends to a run of questionable decisions, which actually has a real influence on the result of the match. Usually, the impact of bad umpiring decisions is minimal, and the better team wins regardless. Knowledge of this fact increases the enjoyment of the game immeasurably, and it also has the added advantage of ensuring that one does not make stupid statements such as yours. Give it a try sometime- I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

And George Gregan plays a game where the primary object is to forcefully ram your head as far up your teammates arse as is humanly possible. F-him.

I will not raise this issue again unless there is any genuine reason...and thats my promise.
Can I please be the one to determine the validity of the inevitable "genuine reason"? Pretty please?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Usually, the impact of bad umpiring decisions is minimal, and the better team wins regardless. Knowledge of this fact increases the enjoyment of the game immeasurably, and it also has the added advantage of ensuring that one does not make stupid statements such as yours. Give it a try sometime- I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

And George Gregan plays a game where the primary object is to forcefully ram your head as far up your teammates arse as is humanly possible. F-him.
I would like you to say that when Hayden is dismissed for a duck by an umpiring decision - which fortunately for you as an Aussie will never come to pass, while for many other countries it is a not too uncommon occurrence ....and as a Sri Lankan I and most SL fans endure it not too infrequently... so stop being silly bringing out some rubbish about enjoyment of the game etc...I am sure your enjoyment of the game is frequently enhanced by the confidance of knowing you have Rudi and others to bank on...:ph34r:

PS - I am sure the mods have not seen the last word in your quote I have reproduced...I would be wary of using 4 letter words in any coded manner as mods here take it quite seriously.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Man, you are not much of a supporter are you?
Malinga is good, but he is not that good. He may, may, have been effective on the first day but as the pitch evened out on the second into a near perfect batting track he would have been tonked around too - dont think for a minute that he wouldn't. He is a good bowler but he is no magic talisman, his test record so far is a testament to that fact.

Also, Murali bowled well. Against Australia his lack of effective support really shows and when he was reduced to a stock role on the second day (on the first day he was bowling as a proper strike bowler) it was pretty much all she wrote. Worse, he was unable to make those little incisions he sometimes makes in that role where after a wicket he can re-adopt a strike role and hopefully get another couple of quick wickets. But to say that Murali was as poor as the rest of them is to make light of the fact that he bowled 50 overs, most of them of good quality, to quality batsmen. Get a grip, jason.
Malinga is a wicket taker ...on Day 1 he would have made inroads ie a couple of early wickets which would have made a real difference... At least Sri Lanka would have had a chance to stay even instead of the current position..

I have to disagree with you Malinga may get tonked a little but he does invariably induce the mistakes or breaks thru with his fast toe crunchers...and Vaas and Dilhara look different when he is around...

ok , I may have been a bit harsh on Murali ...but the wicket tally still is only 2 .

And Macgill will show him up today , IMO, as he will end up with more than just 2 -possibly 4 or 5.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka's target for the first 2 sessions at least is to defy Lee, Clarke and co...and to try continue the innings into Day 4 ....anything short of that will mean an Innings loss...

As long as they negotiate the first hour ....there is nothing much in this attack to threaten them on this deck...

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Ugh, watching Australia is just like watching Bangladesh. One sided matches are no fun - and I was really looking forward to this too.
It was always gonna be this way.

You look at Sri Lanka on paper and figure maybe, but everything has to go right. It's ridiculous how difficult it is to get each and every one of the Australian batsmen out. You get Ponting out, you have to get Hussey out, you get Hussey out, you have to get Symonds out... and after Gilchrist, it's the tail.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sri Lanka's target for the first 2 sessions at least is to defy Lee, Clarke and co...and to try continue the innings into Day 4 ....anything short of that will mean an Innings loss...

As long as they negotiate the first hour ....there is nothing much in this attack to threaten them on this deck...
I wouldn't be surprised to see Clark take at least a couple today...