• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pretty much agree, I've always like the look of Samaraweera as a batsman, he's technically sound and has a good head on his shoulders. And the pace at which he bats is good given Jayasuria, Sangakkarra, Mahela etc are mostly strokemakers. But he has given the critics plenty of amo..he averages 56 at home and 26 away (which I find really suprising given he seems technically proficient against the quick bowlers), and the fact he hasnt got many shots and isnt so easy on the eye means fans and media tend not to get behind him too much.
Samaraweera is a role player and has his merits. But I'm not a fan. I was pretty surprised that he was even selected to tour Australia. As you said, he hasn't got the shots. It serves him well in the subcontinent, but on seamy wickets with a bit of bounce, he gets found out. He only has one gear as a batsmen and I simply don't think you can be so limited and be a test cricketer.

pup11

International Coach
I don't Kallis is a limited player he has got all the shots and he can adapt well in different conditions, the only problem i have with Kallis is that for a batsman of his class he doesn't dominate bowling attacks as well as he should i think he should add a bit of flair in his batting but then i guess its not his way of batting.

Woodster

International Captain
Nah I think if your going to play Johnson he needs the new ball. He's a bowler who from what I've seen so far is significantly more dangerous with the new ball than the older one, whereas certainly Clark and to an extent Lee are just as dangerous with a ball 15 overs old as one over old.
I think the opening pair should be Clark and Lee. Clark has served his apprenticeship as a first change bowler, and being a replica of Mcgrath's style, now deserves the opportunity to take his place with the new ball. His accuracy first up, and the movement off the seam that he will achieve will prove an acid test even for the experienced campaigners like Atapattu and Jayasuriya. Especially for Jayasuriya who thrives on any kind of width, the technically more correct Atapattu has the patience, technique and temperament to wait for a bad ball.

For me Lee must always open up, his pace, bounce and swing are an openers nightmare. Now his direction has improved he must take the new ball.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Its fair to say pitch looks Green on the stuff they showed on the Today show, i think this could be a rare time to ball first?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just started up again. The worst thing is it's not heavy, it's actually really, really light. Could handle it if it were pooring down, I think it makes it worse when it's light.

Woodster

International Captain
Is there no chance of starting on time ? I am waiting up till midnight (UK time) in the hope it gets underway on schedule, with view to watching at least the first session.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Its fair to say pitch looks Green on the stuff they showed on the Today show, i think this could be a rare time to ball first?
Doubt it TBH. Can only backfire - though it's only going to backfire on Lanka, if Aus were to bowl first it probably wouldn't.

Days of Grace

International Captain
So, what you're saying Richard, is that no matter what, Lanka will be behind a fair bit by the end of the first day?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pretty much. Australia have had a knack of making the right decision when winning the toss, and oppos have had a habit of making the wrong one.

IOW, Australia have been better in most conditions than most sides, and most fans of said sides have looked for excuses and scapegoats, and captains making the wrong choice is one of the favourites. Especially given that a captain making the error of bowling will always be crucified and one making the error of batting (which happens far, far more often) will rarely receive more than a "that was odd".

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gah, Sri Lanka win the toss and bowl first. Was hoping they'd win it and choose to bat.

Bloody Gelman