• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Lostman

State Captain
ok really really stupid question time.....
exactly when is this game? games in Australia confuse the hell out of me with the time differences.:ph34r:
I am in New York.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Jaques - May fail may do well, orange light of caution for me.

Hayden - Been rock solid with the bat for a while now, lets see if he can transfer that to test runs.

Ponting - Finest batsman in the world, or at the very least in the top three no matter who you argue with.

Hussey - Injured?

Clarke - Personally I think he will be reliable if not exceptional this series.

Symonds - A wild card, should do well with the bat, but his bowling is not test standard.

Gilchrist - Not expecting much at all from him with the bat yet he may do well.

Lee - Leading the attack? Hmm. Not what you would call a reliable bowler, should do alright though.

Johnson - Inexperienced at this level yet he's been looking quite good for a while now, might just pay off.

Clark - Should be leading the attack. ;)

MacGill - Why was he picked right now?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The game will start at 10:00 AM Brisbane Time, on Thursday the 8th of November.

If you're in New York, iirc, that will be around 8:30pm on Wednesday the 7th of November (tomorrow)

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
Whats the SL lineup looking like?
Its not been named, their waiting to see the pitch and the weather before they commit to anything. The question is weather Maharoof will be included in the side or not. If he is, it'll likely be at the expense of Silva.

- Jayasuriya - Out cheaply
- Attapatu - Up and down.
- Vandort - He'll get one decent score for the match.
- M. Jayawardene - Big game player. He'll do well provided the top 3 can knock the shine off the ball a bit.
- Samaraweera - Picked for this tour as defensive option (as a posed to Dilshan). He'll do a job.
- P. Jayawardene - He's a fighter - he won't give his wicket away. He'll keep ok too.
- Vaas - On form, he only remains in the side on his batting. He needs to get back to taking wickets. I don't expect anything special.
- Malinga - I think he'll confirm he is a superstar.
- Fernando - Up and down. If he doesn't get carried away by the Gabba wicket, he's go the potential to cause headaches.
- Murali - 5 wicket minimum.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Jayasuriya - Definitely not at his best yet still expecting at least one good score from him.

Attapatu - How will he do, full of class yet a lot of crap's been going on with him which may affect his game, yet hopefuly not.

Vandort - One of my favourite newish players in the SL lineup, I expect he would have been found out against the former attack yet would not be surprised at all for him to show his talent off in the series.

M. Jayawardene - Total class.

Samaraweera - IMO not the best option yet hopefully he'll do alright.

P. Jayawardene - He's no Sanga's but he is certainly no mug with the bat.

Vaas - The old battler, reliable player and good with the bat, expect him to come away with consistent wickets yet probably no match winning performances.

Malinga - When he gets that reverse swinger going I can see stumps flying everywhere.

Fernando - Flying high at the moment, hopefully is good run will continue. (His brilliant form is the reason he is a 'green' for go. Otherwise an easy orange fr me.)

Murali - The worlds best spinner, regardless of anything else you can't forget that.

As I've said before, should be a very interesting series, the lack of Sanga in the first match will hurt though.

Note: That's ten players. Who else will be playing?

Johnners

Samaraweera is comfortably a better batsmen than P Jayawardene, Vandort and Silva (if selected) imo.

stephen

Weather forecast for first couple of days not encouraging :unsure:
It has been unusually cold and overcast the last couple of days in Brisbane. There has been a tiny amount of this unusual clear liquid falling from the sky. I'm not exactly sure what name we should give it or whether we should name it at all, given how infrequently it occurs. I don't think it will effect the test match though.:ph34r:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Samaraweera is comfortably a better batsmen than P Jayawardene, Vandort and Silva (if selected) imo.
I may have confused him with somebody else but I thought Samaraweera was dire, though he is a rather unfamiliar name to me.

Johnners

A fair number of people tend to call him dire, but afaic he's easily one of their best 6 Test batsmen. He does afterall, average 41 in test Cricket (42 in First Class), and has 5 centuries and 13 half centuries to his name in 39 test matches.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Just read Sangakkara's article on cricinfo, easily one of my favourite cricketing personalities, really seems like a top bloke.

Julian87

State Captain
You only picked 10 players.

I've heard Sri Lanka will play an attacking team with the bowling all rounder Maharoof batting at 7.

Perm

Just read Sangakkara's article on cricinfo, easily one of my favourite cricketing personalities, really seems like a top bloke.
Almost destined for a stint in the commentary box when he finishes cricket.

pup11

International Coach
Who takes the new ball for Australia would be interesting to see, i would like to see Johnson and Lee open the bowling and Clark as first change.

Laurrz

International Debutant
I'm glad to hear that Ponting says he'll definately bat first whatever the conditions are.... if we were to put em in it would be quite arrogant.. as its saying that our pacemen will blow em out for less than 200 or something.. (also added with the talk of bouncing em and talks of speed blitz)

and if Lanka choose to bowl first... lol...it could work but unlikely... green pitch can be misleading sometimes... but conditions like i said could be muggy though

this game reminds me a bit of the first test of the South African Aus test series in South Africa where the Saffers chose for a seam friendly pitch and the curator watered the pitch overnight or something..in an effort to combat Warney..
Saffers were bundled out batting first as Clark took a 5for.... and the game was over by then.... so yea, eek...Lankan pacemen will be a handful although is it just me or is Dilhara Fernando slightly overated?

Laurrz

International Debutant
Who takes the new ball for Australia would be interesting to see, i would like to see Johnson and Lee open the bowling and Clark as first change.
yep that seems likely... Clark is so good he can bowl anywhere.. and was deadly and consistently moved the ball (off the pitch and a bit through the air..though not a lot..more off the pitch) during the Ashes...if anyone remembered when Australia made what was it, 600 in the first innings or whatever... and then England had to bat for a bit at the end of day 2... Clarks figures were 6 overs 1/9 IIDR... (dont tell me why i remember) but geez his legcutters were simply unplayable and Collingwood was clueless.... amazing bowling...

and Midge would be more suited with the new ball as he bowls with it for Bulls normally and hopefully he'll find some swing...and away swing that too.. as he'll eb bowling to a few lefties perhaps (Sanath and Vandort if Atta goes early)

hopefully Binger can trap Sanath early with the big inny...

man i dont think ive ever seen Atapattu bat... everyone says he's very good technically though..could be tough to get him out

Laurrz

International Debutant
yea i enjoy his articles

good to see the players are enjoying each other off the field too :)

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
You only picked 10 players.
I've heard Sri Lanka will play an attacking team with the bowling all rounder Maharoof batting at 7.
Yeah i didn't comment on Maharoof or Silva because I donno who'll play. I think Maharoof will bowl well if selected. He'll bat ok if given the opportunity to play his shots (as in a quick 30-40), but he can't really go the distance. Silva is good batsmen, I'm a huge fan of his. He is the type of bloke who rises to the occasion.

Almost destined for a stint in the commentary box when he finishes cricket.
I hope so. If I have to endure bloody Ranjit Fernando one more time....:@

and if Lanka choose to bowl first... lol...it could work but unlikely... green pitch can be misleading sometimes... but conditions like i said could be muggy though
I think its going to be one of those ones where Jayawardene half hopes to loose the toss. I'd say he'd rather bowl, but if he won the toss he'd be compelled to bat because he can't afford to show any fear or weakness before the Aussie.

is it just me or is Dilhara Fernando slightly overated?
He is tbh. But if he continue on the way he's been going since the WC (ODI), he can lead the SL attack.