• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

iamdavid

International Debutant
IIDR his big weapon during last season where he picked up 60 wickets was that he not only had his stock ball (outswinger) but he knew how to bowl the offcutter and trapped a lot of victims LBW.. i think that is a big advantage of a swing bowler that swings it away... to be able to cut the ball bak...ala. Alderman
Fair enough...I do know he has a variation which either goes straight or comes in a little off the seam (the ball he got his maiden odi wicket with), however I've never seen him actually 'swing' (asin natural movement through the air) a ball in.

What does IIDR mean btw lol ?

Laurrz

International Debutant
Fair enough...I do know he has a variation which either goes straight or comes in a little off the seam (the ball he got his maiden odi wicket with), however I've never seen him actually 'swing' (asin natural movement through the air) a ball in.

What does IIDR mean btw lol ?
yea ive never seen him bowl inswing.. but a lot of offcutters which is nice :)

IIDR - if i dont recall :p

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Gut feeling still reckons on a harder pitch and more even pitch with less side ways movement he will struggle to take wickets. But he has done eveything possible outside getting a 5-fer and maybe a 50 to get selected. The fact that he played both tour matches also suggest the selectors are strongly considering playing him.

But whatever happens those last two tour matches will give him some massive confidence going into the next chapter of his career.
I hope Mahela or the Sri lankan tour selectors don't get ****y and pick Maharoof and 4 seamers because SL is already in trouble without Sangakkara and we might as well right off the first Test if Maharoof comes in .

A few wickets in meaningless FC matches should not fool anybody into picking this guy for the Test, because they will be in a Fool's paradise if they do....

His Test performance of 24 Test wickets in 18 Tests speaks for itself...and this is against all comers....3 wickets in a meaningless FC match should mean really nothing ...because Test Cricket is a different kettle of fish....

SL is already in big trouble and certain to struggle through both Tests with poor batting form of the top 6 that they really desperately need to strengthen the batting line up...this is even with Sangakkara in ...now that guy is dead cert to miss first Test, its almost fool hardy for SL selectors to play Maharoof and Prasanna J. I shiver to think of the Test being over in 3 days .... I might have to seriously reconsider going to the Tests...:ph34r:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I am certain Aussies will play Hilfenhaus ahead of Macgill or Hogg.

And if Australia win the Toss, I am expecting SL to be all out by Tea on Day 1 or midway thru second session .:laugh:

pasag

RTDAS
Anyways, can't believe it's nearly been a year since the first Test at the Gabba against England. Time flies. Can't believe it's been this long since I last watched Australia play Test cricket. Absurd amount of time.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
Anyone (Aus residents) watch Inside Cricket tonight? AB interviewed Bayliss and he said Sanga was 'doubtful', rather than a no hope as indicated everywhere else. Intriguing to say the least - especially when the interview had clearly taken place today.

pasag

RTDAS
a good article by roebuck?! i suppose there's a first for everything.
He comes out with a top article every once in a while, his regular stuff is poo though. It's not what he says though, it's how he says it.

Should have waited till Murali retired for the trophy though, will be strange playing for it while he's still there. Same thing with stands named after players that are still playing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He comes out with a top article every once in a while, his regular stuff is poo though. It's not what he says though, it's how he says it.

Should have waited till Murali retired for the trophy though, will be strange playing for it while he's still there. Same thing with stands named after players that are still playing.
Generally agree, but in this case, they had to 'strike' now in the sense. They had to try and get some goodwill going, since this is in all likelihood the last time Murali will tour Australia.

Having a Warne/Murali trophy when Murali is gone doesn't really help solve the problem.

I understand that again this will look like Murali is bigger than the game, but meh. There's Warne's record about to be toppled too (more than likely), so I reckon it made sense to do it.

Regarding Roebuck, he's an inconsistent writer, but he's not as bad as people make out. He's just too aggressive with his tone most of the time. Tries to be a prick far too often.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Generally agree, but in this case, they had to 'strike' now in the sense. They had to try and get some goodwill going, since this is in all likelihood the last time Murali will tour Australia.

Having a Warne/Murali trophy when Murali is gone doesn't really help solve the problem.

I understand that again this will look like Murali is bigger than the game, but meh. There's Warne's record about to be toppled too (more than likely), so I reckon it made sense to do it.

Regarding Roebuck, he's an inconsistent writer, but he's not as bad as people make out. He's just too aggressive with his tone most of the time. Tries to be a prick far too often.
Agree with pretty much all of that. I don't know how much goodwill it will foster putting Murali's name on the trophy - it might just be seen as a token gesture. But they had to give it a shot, the bad blood between these two sides was threatening to again overshadow what could be some fantastic cricket.

And you've hit the nail on the head regarding Roebuck - he can be very intelligent and perceptive but just seems to love playing Captain Controversial and in doing so diminishes himself and his contributions.

sideshowtim

Banned
Anyone (Aus residents) watch Inside Cricket tonight? AB interviewed Bayliss and he said Sanga was 'doubtful', rather than a no hope as indicated everywhere else. Intriguing to say the least - especially when the interview had clearly taken place today.
He is obviously pretty badly injured. Hammies of the same grade tear kept Aussies out for longer than a week. Much longer. So if he comes back it'll be too soon and he's in danger of hurting it again. It's something Sri Lanka will do at their own risk, but I'm not sure it's the best thing they can do given they have a fair bit of cricket coming up.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hayden Seeks a New Bond

After six years as Justin Langer's full-time partner, Matthew Hayden is about to parade his new public relationship when he walks out at the Gabba with Phil Jaques.
:naughty:

The pair flirted as batting mates a couple of times over the past two years when Langer was injured, but now the men have the chance to develop something special of their own...

At times Jaques must have felt like he was the third wheel in a love affair. Since January, when Langer announced his split with Hayden, Jaques has been linked to the post and he will begin life as a first-choice partner...

Hayden first seriously bonded :naughty: with Jaques over a can of tinned stew during last year's boot camp and he wants to develop the relationship, but he realises the feelings of batting with Langer will never be recaptured. "We'd played since 1990 together, that's 17 years of knowing each other very intimately :naughty: ,"...

"I'm not worried about Phil's game at all," he said, "I have zero concerns about that.

Hayden... is in no doubt as to what he wants to do on Thursday. "Bat," ;) he said firmly. His new partner is probably feeling the same way.