• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Athlai

Not Terrible
Maharoof and Fernando apparently on form, a valiant effort by Maharoof today to stop the Queenslanders, also nice to see Malinga with a few wickets.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Bichel's batting improvement is highly praiseworthy. He always had the batting talent but in the last few years, he is really stacking up the numbers. I watched him in the England domestic season a fair few times as well and he has become a handy batsman of sorts now at such a late age of his career.

Batting FC

2005 (England) 4 3 0 227 138 75.66 1 1 1
2005-06 (Australia) 11 15 2 452 84 34.76 0 4 2
2006 (England) 8 8 1 265 75* 37.85 0 2 0
2006-07 (Australia) 9 16 0 258 34 16.12 0 0 3
2007 (England) 8 12 4 482 148 60.25 2 2 7

Bowling FC

2005 (England) 724 25 441 14 4-122 31.50 0 0
2005-06 (Australia) 2574 94 1334 50 7-56 26.68 2 0
2006 (England) 1685 53 991 32 6-38 30.96 1 0
2006-07 (Australia) 1923 61 1110 45 7-54 24.66 1 0
2007 (England) 1306 43 842 41 7-36 20.53 3 1

Meanwhile, his bowling has understandably declined. Has lost a lot of the pace he had earlier. He did have a very good last season in Australia and England but I don't expect him to continue his bowling performances in the early 20 levels in Australia. Maybe around the 29 plus marks which is still very useful for some one becoming more useful with the bat.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Thats what I've been saying all along.
Gut feeling still reckons on a harder pitch and more even pitch with less side ways movement he will struggle to take wickets. But he has done eveything possible outside getting a 5-fer and maybe a 50 to get selected. The fact that he played both tour matches also suggest the selectors are strongly considering playing him.

But whatever happens those last two tour matches will give him some massive confidence going into the next chapter of his career.

sideshowtim

Banned
QLD 4-51 chasing 142

Roofers on fire 3/22. If Sangakkara fit it looks like a toss up between Prassana and Maharoof for the No 7 spot. Pretty dire but both have put in so far this tour when other more talented cricketers have put in half hearted efforts.
Oh dear. I hope for the sake of most of the general public, who do indeed cringe at terrible puns, that Maharoof doesn't have a very good summer. Oh the things we'll be subject to by lame commentators...

pasag

RTDAS
I remember someone joked a while back that Mahroof lends itself to puns and someone else wasn't very happy with that. Will try and find it.

pup11

International Coach
Good win for the Bulls and Lankans have some top order problems to sort before the start of the first test and they surely felt the absence of Sanga in this game but nonetheless the Bulls were the better team and deserved to win and lot of credit needs to go to Noffke for the he performed with bat and bowl.
Frankly speaking i think too many people just underrate Maharoof and rate him as pure crap but i think if he bowls in the right areas and doesn't try anything fancy (which he usually tries too and that's why he looks so dire as a bowler) then he can serve as an average bowling all-rounder.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
May I ask why Hilfenhaus is so highly rated in Australian circles? This is a serious question (not a sarcastic comment) because from what I have seen of him (which, given is not much), he is about the same pace as Hopes (130-135kph) and not nearly as accurate. His statistics, however, are quite impressive, I was just wondering what makes him so special.

sideshowtim

Banned
May I ask why Hilfenhaus is so highly rated in Australian circles? This is a serious question (not a sarcastic comment) because from what I have seen of him (which, given is not much), he is about the same pace as Hopes (130-135kph) and not nearly as accurate. His statistics, however, are quite impressive, I was just wondering what makes him so special.
Hilfenhaus is an excellent guy to have in your team, as he is not only a stock bowler capable of bowling many effective overs a day (the guy is as fit as hell, has a ridiculous score on the beep test and can get through as many overs as a spinner), but he can swing the ball both ways at a very good pace. With the old or new ball. Now this troubles even the best of batsmen, so he's a very handy asset.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
He's at least 5-10km/h quicker than Hopes. Hilfenhaus hits 140 consistently - his form in the Twenty20 was poor but you can put it down to being a Twenty20 match and it being his first game since probably the end of the domestic season.

Very impressive player.

sideshowtim

Banned
He's at least 5-10km/h quicker than Hopes. Hilfenhaus hits 140 consistently - his form in the Twenty20 was poor but you can put it down to being a Twenty20 match and it being his first game since probably the end of the domestic season.

Very impressive player.
His form wasn't poor at all in the Twenty20. He bowled 3 excellent overs, and was easily our best bowler on the night. Made Gambhir play and miss plenty of times. With a bit of luck he'd have had a couple of wickets.

pup11

International Coach
Hilfenhaus is rare talent in modern day cricket as he is a genuine swing bowler who can swing the ball both ways at lively pace and his last Pura cup season just showed how good he is, as it has been mentioned above he is a real workhorse but having said that i think Tassies should start taking it a bit easy on him because they atm put serious amount of work-load on him in terms of the number of over they make him bowl in Pura cup games which ain't good.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He bowls best when he has bowling under his belt; going on long tours and bowling in the last game or so doesn't help him. As has been said, he's a little quicker than Hopes, just as accurate and, most importantly, swings the ball a mile both ways. When he hasn't played any cricket for a while, he does indeed look decidedly rubbish, though.