• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Craig

World Traveller
I love it how somebody who shows a slight bit of promise or talent and is suddenly considered having a bright future and then a potential chance for Australia :laugh:

Please give me a break.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Except that wouldn't be the team....

Haddin, Bracken, Hilfenhaus, and one of White, Voges or D Hussey would be in the team ahead of Ronchi, Kaspa, Bichel & possibly Lehman.
Gosh, how did I forget Haddin?

My point was, that if Australia wanted to field an 'A' team that could beat every other 'A' team then they could do quite easily.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To be honest, I'm rather enjoying the fact that my popping up now and again appears to be causing you angst. If it's any consolation, I wouldn't be so honest with someone I didn't like. :D

Okay fine, I may be around a bit more. Missed the place.
Well most of us have missed you, that's for certain. Your popping-up for 1 post every 3 months has caused angst only because of that.
Incidentally, since when did you post in *Official* threads?
Whenever they're moving slowly enough to be worth keeping track of TBH. I'll be gone (from this one at least) when the Tests start and there are 50 posts per hour.

Johnners

Oh, good point, in which case, yes it would be harsh to say, afaic Bailey > Birt, despite Birt getting bigger wraps.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Whenever they're moving slowly enough to be worth keeping track of TBH. I'll be gone (from this one at least) when the Tests start and there are 50 posts per hour.
AWTA. Judging by the masses of posts during matches, I actually thought I was the only person on here who didn't seem to watch cricket while sitting at his computer typing comments into the thread. Glad to see there's at least one other. :)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It depends if the selectors were picking the Australia A team for development, or to beat the other sides. If they were trying to be the best A team in the world, they'd do it easily, as they've got some big stars still playing domestic cricket.

Rogers
di Venuto
Katich
Hodge
Lehmann
Watson
Haddin (wk)
Bichel
Noffke
Gillespie
Kasprowicz

That team would dish out a a hiding to every other A team in the world.
I read this stuff all the time, but end of the day your just looking at a side on paper and say they should be gun and dominate. I can see fair few holes in the side and potentially even an average A side could take advantage of.

- Rogers has been on a couple A Tours and hadn't really dominated yet, been above par at best.
- Di Venuto might have a pretty good overall record. But if you look closer his had about 3 good seasons in Australia out of over 10 years. Only one as opener as well.
- Katich i rate pretty highly and has improved since he was dropped, but there was a reason for his below par Test record.
- When was the last time Hodge scored any runs, yeah class is greater then form, but still.
- Lehmann this season looks like his really on the decline. Had no pre season and his last innings was pretty good. But how many runs has he got left in him.
- Watson yeah gun batsmen, but will he be an effective bowling even at A level especially with no spinner in the side. You really need all your bowling options to take wickets if the pitch has little support for seamers.
- Haddin yeah he's class, but a reckon he would only have limited success at a higher level. Enough to be one of better keeper batsmen, but not really enough to have a dominate side unless you have a really dominate top 6.
- Bichel and Kaspra have just comeback from injury. They looked pretty good in the tour match, but Maharoof looked World Class, which says something about the pitch. Will they be as good as they once where?
- Gillespie bowling looks to be on the decline a fair bit, even at domestic (FC) level with a lack of zip. English, Australian and Pakistani batsmen have played him fairly easier in the last 9 months.
- Noffke in form, but he didn't look that great in the last A series from all reports. Better then average compared to say the Pakistan seamer, but not really World class

On paper a good side, that might dominate and might beat most Test side. But its also a side with a fair few looks that a decent players at A level might make the most of.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Since some seem to make a big deal out of how well a player does in certain countries, I thought I’d send a shudder through Sri Lankan fans by posting the averages of the Aussies at the Gabba:

Batting

Ponting – 1064 runs @ 76.00 (All-time leading run-scorer at the Gabba)
Hayden – 850 runs @ 70.83
Gilchrist – 497 runs @ 55.22
Clarke – 216 runs @ 72.00
Lee – 213 runs @ 106.50 :eek:
Hussey – 116 runs @ 38.67 (obviously a bunny here ;) )

Bowling

Lee – 18 wkts @ 23.44
MacGill – 11 wkts @ 26.45
Clark – 7 wkts @ 13.29

Last edited:

Perm

I read this stuff all the time, but end of the day your just looking at a side on paper and say they should be gun and dominate. I can see fair few holes in the side and potentially even an average A side could take advantage of.

- Rogers has been on a couple A Tours and hadn't really dominated yet, been above par at best.
- Di Venuto might have a pretty good overall record. But if you look closer his had about 3 good seasons in Australia out of over 10 years. Only one as opener as well.
- Katich i rate pretty highly and has improved since he was dropped, but there was a reason for his below par Test record.
- When was the last time Hodge scored any runs, yeah class is greater then form, but still.
- Lehmann this season looks like his really on the decline. Had no pre season and his last innings was pretty good. But how many runs has he got left in him.
- Watson yeah gun batsmen, but will he be an effective bowling even at A level especially with no spinner in the side. You really need all your bowling options to take wickets if the pitch has little support for seamers.
- Haddin yeah he's class, but a reckon he would only have limited success at a higher level. Enough to be one of better keeper batsmen, but not really enough to have a dominate side unless you have a really dominate top 6.
- Bichel and Kaspra have just comeback from injury. They looked pretty good in the tour match, but Maharoof looked World Class, which says something about the pitch. Will they be as good as they once where?
- Gillespie bowling looks to be on the decline a fair bit, even at domestic (FC) level with a lack of zip. English, Australian and Pakistani batsmen have played him fairly easier in the last 9 months.
- Noffke in form, but he didn't look that great in the last A series from all reports. Better then average compared to say the Pakistan seamer, but not really World class

On paper a good side, that might dominate and might beat most Test side. But its also a side with a fair few looks that a decent players at A level might make the most of.
You could pick holes in any team, but I'm saying that this Australia A team would be able to beat the 'A' sides of every other nation.

andyc

Haha geez, Noffke can't step a foot wrong, currently 34* in a 70 odd run partnership with Bichel (62*)

Mister Wright

Haha. Read a report where they said Bichel was the nightwatchmen. Given the bowler heavy side QLD faced, I wouldn't have been surprised to see Bichel come in at 6 if it were half way through the day.