• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

pasag

RTDAS
What be thee angry about, Mr Gelman?
The squad answered nothing about the endless speculation we've been having for quite some time now re: bowling. At least the opening issue can be put to bed for the time being though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So you're angry that they picked two spinners instead of one?

So does anyone actually think Hogg might play then?

And was I seeing things earlier in this thread or did someone suggest Hogg at six and Gilchrist at seven? :blink:

pasag

RTDAS
So you're angry that they picked two spinners instead of one?

So does anyone actually think Hogg might play then?

And was I seeing things earlier in this thread or did someone suggest Hogg at six and Gilchrist at seven? :blink:
Should he play? Yes imo and I was leaning towards that before this week.

Will he play? No idea, could go either way really.

sideshowtim

Banned
The decision to select Hogg in the squad would have surely shaken up MacGill a bit, i still think Aussies would pick a spinner in the final XI for the first test and MacGill would get the nod ahead of Hoggy due to his experience and class but after that it would be up to MacGilla to perform and perform well so that he can cement a place in the team otherwise it won't take long before Hogg replaces him.
I am happy for Jacques because after piling on the runs season after season with amazing consistency he finally gets his due reward, so lets hope he can do well in international cricket too.
Perhaps it was a subtle little message to MacGill in an attempt to spur him on.

Listen Stuey, you've done enough to earn a place in the squad, but if you don't pull your finger out soon, there is someone ready to come and take your place.

pasag

RTDAS
Perhaps it was a subtle little message to MacGill in an attempt to spur him on.

Listen Stuey, you've done enough to earn a place in the squad, but if you don't pull your finger out soon, there is someone ready to come and take your place.
Some guy on Foxtel tonight said something similar about Tait and Lee, that he was picked so Lee doesn't get complacent or words to that effect. Don't know how much weight there is to that though.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
My preferred side with FC batting av, since I think McGill is out of form and still recovering from injury. (In form and if fit he'd have to play ahead of Hogg and we don't really need Hogg's extra batting having a no 10 with FC av of 26 is overkill) And before you someone mentions that FC av don't translate into Test Av nearly every current long term Australian player has an equal or higher Test av compared to FC. (With the notable exception of Symonds) since Pura cup teams are often of higher standards then some national squads.

Hayden 53
Jaques 56
Ponting 60
Clarke 41
Hussey 54
Symonds 42
Gilchrist 44
Hogg 34
Lee 19
Johnson 26
Clarke 14

With Watson 49 putting pressure on Symonds.
Hodge 47 after Clarke's spot
Haddin 41 the natural replacement for Gilchrist
Rogers 47 for Hayden when he goes.
Tait/Hilfenhaus to eventually replace Lee

All we need to unearth is a decent spinner to remain the worlds no 1 team for the next decade.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm with Peter Roebuck on this one; the selectors have totally hedged their bets. expanding the squad to include both Hogg and MacGill is confusing to both players and I don't really see the point unless they think they may need to pick two spinners (errrm, no).

As it stands I would reckon they'll go for Johnson for the 3rd fast bowler's spot. He's got recent international form and Tait probably needs a few more long spells for SA under his belt (okay fine, I admit they need him too.... :D). But yeah, it's hard to guage their thinking on the spinner's spot. They're both wristies so I guess it comes down to whether they think they might need extra batting down the list. But then, another week won't change the outcome there; they should know that already. I guess they're covering for the possibility that MacGilla might injure his knee again in the lead-up at training?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
OLD vs SL on now. SL are 20/2, Vandort has played another of his contributions to the worst-knocks ever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Corey, would you please be able to answer the question: are you back for a lengthy spell this time? :)

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The squad answered nothing about the endless speculation we've been having for quite some time now re: bowling. At least the opening issue can be put to bed for the time being though.
So true, can't beleive people were actually considering other batsmen ahead of Jaques as soon as Rogers was out of the running tbh.

EDIT: Hahaha, in other news, should've selected Noffke, the mans on fire, 3/2 from 4 overs.

ethos

Cricket Spectator
Noffke is CARVING Sri Lanka in their tour match v Queensland at the moment.

Has 3/2 and SL are 3/22.

His from has been amazing recently.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
So true, can't beleive people were actually considering other batsmen ahead of Jaques as soon as Rogers was out of the running tbh.

EDIT: Hahaha, in other news, should've selected Noffke, the mans on fire, 3/2 from 4 overs.
While i have no idea about the pitch at AB oval, this is not a suprise Sri Lankan top order is fragile, this is a good pointer to the test series ahead.