• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wow, so what? No player is always at their absolute best. They may even play, and let's rate it, a 8/10 which is still very good but Macgill can play at his absolute best which is a 9 for Warne and be better. What does that mean? One player's form can beat another player's talent.
I really CBA with this. MacGill outbowled Warne and McGrath on the occasions he did because they bowled poorly. Even if they'd bowled well and he'd outbowled them they'd still have bowled less well than they can.

The fact that MacGill of times bowled better than both means nothing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I remember it not being thaaat bad a wicket, just very slow. Lehmann played pretty well I recall, but you'd back him to do anything on a slow pitch. Think it was also Malinga's first test.
It was, and I remember very well what you said to me on MSN at the time. :)

howardj

International Coach
My XII and the XII I think they will pick:

Hayden
Jaques
Batting God
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Gilchrist
Lee
Johnson
Clark
MacGill

Hilfenhaus (12th bloke)

I feel Tait will be left to bake in the Pura Cup oven for a few more games.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah Hilfenhaus hasn't done enough to upstage Tait. Hogg could well be in for a short, but I doubt the selectors would name two spinners in the 12. Unless they go for a 13, those fence-sitting ****s. Assuming they don't though, it'd just be your normal

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Gilchrist
Lee
Clark
Johnson
MacGill

Tait

andyc

Ricky Ponting (captain) TAS 32
Adam Gilchrist (vice-captain) WA 35
Stuart Clark NSW 32
Michael Clarke NSW 26
Matthew Hayden QLD 36
Brad Hogg WA 36
Michael Hussey WA 32
Phil Jaques NSW 28
Mitchell Johnson QLD 25
Brett Lee NSW 30
Stuart MacGill NSW 36
Andrew Symonds QLD 32
Shaun Tait SA 24

13 man squad it is

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seriously think they should run with Hogg or Tait before McGill for Brisbane.

Seriously, McGill is bowling utter pus atm.

ChipSomeSixes

Cricket Spectator
MacGill pongs

My XI
Matthew Hayden
Phil Jacques
Ricky Ponting
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke
Roy
Adam Gilchrist
Brad Hogg
Brett Lee
Stuart Clark
Shaun Tait

Mitchell Johnson 12th man

MacGill :thumbdown

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Given they have both spinners in the 13. They could do.....

What about Hogg for Symonds spot?

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Gilchrist
Lee
Johnson
Clark
McGill

Given Andrew's batting performances Hogg wouldn't be that far behind him in batting and his bowling is better.

ChipSomeSixes

Cricket Spectator
Given they have both spinners in the 13. They could do.....

What about Hogg for Symonds spot?

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Gilchrist
Lee
Johnson
Clark
McGill

Given Andrew's batting performances Hogg wouldn't be that far behind him in batting and his bowling is better.
Hogg is not a batsman, Symonds is a weapon. Hits dorothys at will. Saves at least 20 runs in the field each innings. Gilchrist = Good player.

Laurrz

International Debutant
I am starting to want

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Gilchrist
Hogg
Lee
Johnson
Clark

of course i could;ve just said 'I want Hogg to play' but i wanted to demonstrate how much depth that batting has! (not that thats the issue.. i think Hogg is good enough with the ball)

Laurrz

International Debutant
Btw... Kaspa and Bich are back for the Bulls to play tomorrow against Lanka

Johnson, Bichel, Kaspa, Noffke!... what a gun bowling attack!!

Hayden is resting.. interesting.. like Murali

stephen

Btw... Kaspa and Bich are back for the Bulls to play tomorrow against Lanka

Johnson, Bichel, Kaspa, Noffke!... what a gun bowling attack!!

Hayden is resting.. interesting.. like Murali
Murali was probably resting because he didn't want any psychological scars from bowling to Hayden, and Hayden is probably resting because the bowling won't be a challenge without Murali :laugh:

Seriously though, Hayden in the last year has probably scored more runs than anyone else in the world when you combine both forms of the game.

EDIT: I was wrong, SRT and KP shade him due to actually having played multiple tests this year. Hayden is significantly in front on ODI and T20 batting charts.

Last edited:

Laurrz

International Debutant
I would've thought it would be good for Haydos to get a better look at Malinga.. but i guess he's so confident and in form anyway

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
Things aren't sounding too good for SL at the moment. Newspapers back home are reporting that Sangakkara is confirmed to be definitely out for the 1st test, Jayasuriya has a virus and Vaas has some kind of foot complaint.

Given the P. Jayawardene is going to slot in, I wonder what happens with the extra batting position which he was fighting for earlier (ie. see Mubarak)? I loath to pick Tharanga - even if he does score a decent knock in the next tour match (which he probably will now). Silva better get a chance this time around because he is easily the best of the 'youngsters'.

Hopefully the QLD pace attack can sort out the pretenders from the contenders in the SL batting line up.

stephen

I would've thought it would be good for Haydos to get a better look at Malinga.. but i guess he's so confident and in form anyway
To Hayden Malinga is just another opportunity to smack for 4 :laugh:

Still, I think that Sri Lanka have the best proven bowling attack in the world at the moment, though this will be a REAL test for them. Murali needs to perform to win over Australian crowds. Likewise, if the Aussies can belt him around the park as they have done in the past it will just reinforce that he's overrated and takes most of his wickets against lesser attacks.

stephen

Things aren't sounding too good for SL at the moment. Newspapers back home are reporting that Sangakkara is confirmed to be definitely out for the 1st test, Jayasuriya has a virus and Vaas has some kind of foot complaint.

Given the P. Jayawardene is going to slot in, I wonder what happens with the extra batting position which he was fighting for earlier (ie. see Mubarak)? I loath to pick Tharanga - even if he does score a decent knock in the next tour match (which he probably will now). Silva better get a chance this time around because he is easily the best of the 'youngsters'.

Hopefully the QLD pace attack can sort out the pretenders from the contenders in the SL batting line up.
Bich, Noffers, Kaspa and Johnson - that is a world class bowling lineup and those 4 could headline/have headlined most world teams. My only "worry" is that Kaspa will break down again or be completely out of form. Let's hope that's the last of his problems.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
Murali needs to perform to win over Australian crowds.
No he doesn't. Murali couldn't win over Australian crowds if he riffled through a carton of Winnie's Red in between slamming VB and Bundy Rum beer bongs. His fate in this country is sealed. I doubt know why people even bother talking about how he should behave or needs perform in order to appeal to everyone from the bogans on the hill to suits in their corporate box.