• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Laurrz

International Debutant
Things aren't sounding too good for SL at the moment. Newspapers back home are reporting that Sangakkara is confirmed to be definitely out for the 1st test, Jayasuriya has a virus and Vaas has some kind of foot complaint.

Given the P. Jayawardene is going to slot in, I wonder what happens with the extra batting position which he was fighting for earlier (ie. see Mubarak)? I loath to pick Tharanga - even if he does score a decent knock in the next tour match (which he probably will now). Silva better get a chance this time around because he is easily the best of the 'youngsters'.

Hopefully the QLD pace attack can sort out the pretenders from the contenders in the SL batting line up.
should be

Atapattu
Jayasuriya
Vandort
Jayawardene*
Silva
Samaraweera
Prasanna+

Not that bad... i suppose if Sanga played they could've had a longer batting lineup.. but Prasannas no mug with the bat

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bich, Noffers, Kaspa and Johnson - that is a world class bowling lineup and those 4 could headline/have headlined most world teams. My only "worry" is that Kaspa will break down again or be completely out of form. Let's hope that's the last of his problems.
yeah its a great attack. i've always had a soft spot for the old warhorses in Kaspa and Bichel.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
should be

Atapattu
Jayasuriya
Vandort
Jayawardene*
Silva
Samaraweera
Prasanna+

Not that bad... i suppose if Sanga played they could've had a longer batting lineup.. but Prasannas no mug with the bat
Yeah I’d play that line up as well. If Sangakkara was fit, I'd have played an extra bowler but that’s out of the window given the present scenario. Prasanna is okay - he's a fighter but also a bit of a minnow basher. Did okay against SA in SL but his tour of NZ was pretty poor.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Urgh, Hogg in the squad. Not good, not good at all.

EDIT: Not saying his recent performances don't deserve some recognition, but geez.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Australian selectors are trying to pull cotton wool over the SL by selecting both spinners, who will be carrying drinks on the 8th, as the Aussies will go with 4 man pace attack, IMHO.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
The only thing worth worrying about in relation to the squad tbh. Let's hope so. I still haven't given up hope of him pushing into the starting XI at the 'G.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty gutless from the selectors IMO. I doubt very much whether the conditions are going to favour 2 spinners. Should have just bitten the bullet and selected one.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I loath to pick Tharanga - even if he does score a decent knock in the next tour match (which he probably will now).
I'm not that worried about Tharanga if he does play actually, he's the sort of player who has done well against Australia in the recent past, limited footwork and questionable defensive technique but plenty of shots and loves to slap it through gully/point (ie Sehwag, Salman Butt). I would much prefer Tharanga to Mubarak tbh.

howardj

International Coach
This squad is a bit of a slap in the face for MacGilla. Granted, his domestic form has been crap of late however, in the words of Gilly, he never lets the team down once he pulls on that green cap.

iamdavid

International Debutant
This squad is a bit of a slap in the face for MacGilla. Granted, his domestic form has been crap of late however, in the words of Gilly, he never lets the team down once he pulls on that green cap.
I think they've been kind to him really...I know he's never let Australia down in the past. However reports are that he didnt look 100% fit with regards to his knee in the Pura Cup match, plus he's rumored to be carrying an extra pound or 20 since he last played for Australia (looking to succeed Warne on all fronts)...Plus theres the attitude thing regarding his treatment of umpires. Clearly the selectors wanted to pick him, but he's given them every reason not to so they've had to include Hogg as cover incase the week of preperation in Brisbane reveals things to be as bad as they seem.

pup11

International Coach
The decision to select Hogg in the squad would have surely shaken up MacGill a bit, i still think Aussies would pick a spinner in the final XI for the first test and MacGill would get the nod ahead of Hoggy due to his experience and class but after that it would be up to MacGilla to perform and perform well so that he can cement a place in the team otherwise it won't take long before Hogg replaces him.
I am happy for Jacques because after piling on the runs season after season with amazing consistency he finally gets his due reward, so lets hope he can do well in international cricket too.