• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good obs, Einsten...

The fact of the matter is that an inferior bowler - regardless of how close the gap is - can outbowl a superior one if the superior one has a sufficiently poor time.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good obs, Einsten...

The fact of the matter is that an inferior bowler - regardless of how close the gap is - can outbowl a superior one if the superior one has a sufficiently poor time.
Good obs, Einstein...

However, I'd back Warne, McGrath and MacGill all at the age of 90 and in wheelchairs to bowl better than you on any given day.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Good obs, Einsten...

You don't seem to get it. Yes, as a matter of statistics or 'possibility' you may eventually in a million years bowl better than those guys, but it isn't even relevant here.

You are not even 1/100th of the bowler Brett Lee is. Now how many matches have you seen Brett Lee out-do McGrath, for example? Very few I'd bet. That's because Brett isn't near as good as Pidge. And of course, the gap closes down even more when you have two more comparable bowlers, whilst one will always be better. So, with your reasoning, I can say that the one that is worse (regardless of distance in talent), when bowling better than his partner, is just bowling well because his partner is having an off day? Like..."Thompson only did well because Lil'ee had an off day".Yes, it does sound stupid.

Einstein*

pup11

International Coach
One more player goes down with a hamstring injury :blink:, i mean since the T20 world championship almost every player seems to be going down with a hamstring injury.
If Sanga misses the first test then it would be a big blow for Sri Lanka, btw if he doesn't play then who would replace him??

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Prassana Jayawardene will keep and bat at 7. With Samaraweera coming in at 6 and Vandort 3. Unless Tharanga scores a century in the tour match. Basically (Jayasuriya, Atapattu, Vandort/Tharanga, M Jayawardene, Silva, Samaraweera, P Jayawardene, then bowlers)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Huge blow not only for Sanga but also for the fans. Most Australians haven't had the chance to see a lot of him against us - it would have been great to see if he could translate his gun form against lesser attacks into something really special against Australia in Australia. I was really looking forward to seeing him in action - hope he's fit for the second Test.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should go see that bloke in Germany that fixes hammys with cows blood, and hope that somehow he's fit by the first test imo :p

Agree with Sean though, I'm certainly disappointed he won't be playing the 1st one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You don't seem to get it. Yes, as a matter of statistics or 'possibility' you may eventually in a million years bowl better than those guys, but it isn't even relevant here.

You are not even 1/100th of the bowler Brett Lee is. Now how many matches have you seen Brett Lee out-do McGrath, for example? Very few I'd bet. That's because Brett isn't near as good as Pidge. And of course, the gap closes down even more when you have two more comparable bowlers, whilst one will always be better. So, with your reasoning, I can say that the one that is worse (regardless of distance in talent), when bowling better than his partner, is just bowling well because his partner is having an off day? Like..."Thompson only did well because Lil'ee had an off day".Yes, it does sound stupid.

Einstein*
Not "Thomson is only doing well because Lillee had an off-day", but "Thomson is only doing better than Lillee because Lillee is not at his absolute best".

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Huge blow not only for Sanga but also for the fans. Most Australians haven't had the chance to see a lot of him against us - it would have been great to see if he could translate his gun form against lesser attacks into something really special against Australia in Australia. I was really looking forward to seeing him in action - hope he's fit for the second Test.
Didn't he score a century last time he was here? Or am I thinking of another tour. From memory Prassana came in the side as keeper and he scored a decent score, maybe it was a 50.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Didn't he score a century last time he was here? Or am I thinking of another tour. From memory Prassana came in the side as keeper and he scored a decent score, maybe it was a 50.
In the draw in Cairns? I can't remember that series all that well, didn't get to watch much of it.

I remember seeing him bat very well in the ODIs for the World XI vs Australia. First time I really got to watch him properly.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I remember that actually, he kept in the first test and looked out of sorts with the bat then they brought Kalu in for the second and he made a good 70 or 80 odd.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
In the draw in Cairns? I can't remember that series all that well, didn't get to watch much of it.

I remember seeing him bat very well in the ODIs for the World XI vs Australia. First time I really got to watch him properly.
Yeah the draw in Carins, scored two 50s and Kaluwitharana kept.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I remember that actually, he kept in the first test and looked out of sorts with the bat then they brought Kalu in for the second and he made a good 70 or 80 odd.
Well most people looked out-of-sorts on that wicket TBH. Including poor old Matthew Elliott.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Well most people looked out-of-sorts on that wicket TBH. Including poor old Matthew Elliott.
I remember it not being thaaat bad a wicket, just very slow. Lehmann played pretty well I recall, but you'd back him to do anything on a slow pitch. Think it was also Malinga's first test.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
He got a couple of half centuries in that second Test after failing in the first and looked pretty good IIRC. Just saying that we haven't seen a great deal more of him and that's a shame - would love to see him play more than just a Test or two at a time every few years against Australia.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Not "Thomson is only doing well because Lillee had an off-day", but "Thomson is only doing better than Lillee because Lillee is not at his absolute best".
Wow, so what? No player is always at their absolute best. They may even play, and let's rate it, a 8/10 which is still very good but Macgill can play at his absolute best which is a 9 for Warne and be better. What does that mean? One player's form can beat another player's talent.