• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given that the most tests any player has played is 156, and that you'd probably be dropped before you reached 10 (being generous here), I find that hard to believe.
Why does the game have to be a Test? If I played enough games alongside Warne and McGrath, caring not a flying &%$£ why, I would outperform them eventually. So would anyone else who knew how to bowl.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You are skewing the statistics to suit you though. Whatever you think of Bangladesh, they are a test playing nation, he took the ****ing wickets, and he had to compete with bowlers the quality of Warne, McGrath & Gillespie to get them.
And that they are a Test-playing nation is totally &%$£ing irrelevant, the only thing that matters is whether they are Test-class or not, and that's not something I alone think is not the case, it's something most people do.

He took wickets in domestic cricket too. If Bangladesh are included, so must those games be.
He has performed well in a fair number of matches, otherwise he wouldn't have such a good record. 198 wickets @ 27 is good, especially when you've had to, as i said earlier, compete with the likes of Warne, McGrath & Gillespie for those wickets.
But 154 wickets at over 30 isn't really that good.
In any case, have you ever seen him bowl?
Erm, yes, many times. Once or twice I've even seen him bowl well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, in your case it means they really really tanked in that day and took nothing whilst you took 1 for 100 and were a bit better or something... :laugh:
Yep, certainly does. Hence, I'd have outperformed them.
Coming from a Warne and McGrath fan: MacGill has outbowled both and it had nothing to do with them bowling poor.
It did, though. Not neccessarily abysmally, but far less well than one would expect from them.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Does anyone else get tired of this? Dead set.

Stop prompting Richard into this ****, we all know how he feels on this crap, stop arguing it with him. It's boring and repetitive.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In a country Murali bashing is a sport:

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/071028/Sports/sp202.html

There is also a concerted campaign by the Aussies to rile Murali by stating that he gets a lot of cheap tailenders wkts. Yesterday, I heared both Ponting and Lee slip this into an interview from left of centre - gave me the impression that they were following an orchestrated script. I guess they feel if they get Murali mad, then he will try harder to get the top order out, losing concentration by trying too hard. These mind games are just tiresome!!!!!
Haha, that's pretty much the worst article I've ever read.

social

Yep, fraid so. Laws of averages do not allow anything but a miniscule chance for the same thing to happen so many times in a row.
Warne, McGrath and virtually any other test bowler you could care to name are so much better than you or I could ever dream of being that to say that you could outbowl them is the biggest load of tripe I've ever heard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Warne, McGrath and virtually any other test bowler you could care to name are so much better than you or I could ever dream of being that to say that you could outbowl them is the biggest load of tripe I've ever heard.
It's not, though - I once beat a chess player who was so much better than me (and anyone else of our age) it was untrue.

Anomalies happen if you give them enough chances. It's stupid to say there's a level at which it becomes impossible for one person to outperform another.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Great work by the Chairman's XI to keep Murali down to 1 wicket and give a real fighting account of themselves....puts yesterday's innings and bowling into perspective....

SL really need to pull something out of the bag to match the Aussies in the Tests...:ph34r: otherwise it seems this series does look like its going to be another struggle...

Athlai

Not Terrible
They just arrived bit harsh to judge SL on how they perform in this first match.

Save the knives for the next one. :ph34r:

pup11

International Coach
I think Sri Lanka have nothing to feel disappointed about its just that the wicket is a very flat and the Chairman XI batsmen have also batted decently.
I am disappointed with the way Ferguson's career is going atm, he burst onto the scene with such a big bang and showed a lot of promise but atm he seems to have lost the plot but the good thing is he still pretty young so he can still bring his career back on track.

Mister Wright

It's not, though - I once beat a chess player who was so much better than me (and anyone else of our age) it was untrue.

Anomalies happen if you give them enough chances. It's stupid to say there's a level at which it becomes impossible for one person to outperform another.
If you manipulate the situation so much that there is a chance that you would outbowl them it's possible. But, for once in your life be realistic. You can't come on here and say that you would bowl better than McGrath or Warne or both if this, this, this, this, this, this and this were to take place. Anyone could say that. However, in all reality, for you to prove you were a better bowler than either of them at a given time it would have to be a test match (which you are very unlikely to play), a ODI (which, again you are very unlikely to play), a Pura Cup or Ford Ranger cup match (given that you don't live in Australia that is also very unlikely) or you'd have to join the IPL.

Good luck with that.

Mister Wright

I think Sri Lanka have nothing to feel disappointed about its just that the wicket is a very flat and the Chairman XI batsmen have also batted decently.
I am disappointed with the way Ferguson's career is going atm, he burst onto the scene with such a big bang and showed a lot of promise but atm he seems to have lost the plot but the good thing is he still pretty young so he can still bring his career back on track.
Says a lot if you can't crack the South Australian batting line-up.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
RE: Richard outbowling a Glenn McGrath/Shane Warne.

Would never ever happen against Test batsmen.
Against a local club side, who knows? Richard might end up with better figures than McGrath, or Warne. However, he wouldn't have ever bowled better than them. Although... by Richard's definition....

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Haha, that's pretty much the worst article I've ever read.
Haha, yeah. Taken Gillespie out of context completely, as well as this part:

Once again in the year of 2007 the Indian crowds singled out Australian Andrew Symonds and barracked him with a series of monkey honking, but this time the ICC was ready for it and the people concerned were charged for racial abuse. Reason for the ICC to install action against racial abuse? – The reason was Englishman Monty Panesar being singled out for racial abuse by a section of Australian crowds during their last Ashes Tour.
*hilarity ensues*