• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Khan vs Keith Miller

Who do u think was a better allrounder,Imran Khan or Keith Miller?

• Total voters

pasag

RTDAS
Comparing Miller to Imran as a bowler is just like comparing Rohan Kanhai to Garry Sobers as a batsman.
Speaking of, was just watching highlights of the 3rd Test at Lord's in 73 where Kanhai made 157 and Sobers made 150 in the first innings. Was magnificent stuff, Kanhai's last Test outside the WI as well.

The_Bunny

State Regular
For me,Miller's 3.1 wickets per match,,just one 10WM & much much less wicket hauls as well.All these things count as much against him as abowler as Imran's not outs against him.Imran is in the same tier as Marshal,Barnes,Hadlee etc when it comes to bowlers while Miller is nowhere near that.

Is Imran one of the top 10 bowlers ever? Yes

Is Miller one of the top 10 bowlers ever? Not even top 20(would be somewhere around 25 to 30 for me).
I for one dont rate Imran as a top 10 bowler, nor on the same tier Marshall Barnes and Hadlee...
I think it would annoy less people if you stated these things as your opinion, not as fact :)

Athlai

Not Terrible
I for one dont rate Imran as a top 10 bowler, nor on the same tier Marshall Barnes and Hadlee...
I think it would annoy less people if you stated these things as your opinion, not as fact :)
He started with "For me," pretty much saying this is my opinion quite clearly.

Top ten lists are a waste of time, how many bowlers from the 1920s or 30s ever make these lists?
Those bowlers don't make these lists doesn't mean top 10 lists are a waste of time.Most of people here give references of different players & ,journalists when it comes to discussing any player especially Sobers' position as an allrounder & thats the only argument you people have in favour of him(because his stats say the opposite),so if your argument that Miller is as good as any other alltime great bowler stands a leg,I would like you to do the same.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with the first bit but not the second. I would rather just assume when someone writes something that it's their opinion. I think using silly abbreviations like IMO all over the place is worthless.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You must understand that stats are all that matter to many on this site8-)

How anyone who ever read about Test cricket, or had the pleasure of watching Sobers, could come to the conclusion that he is not the greatest AR in the history of the game is beyond me8-) 8-) 8-)
:laugh: It's funny you say that though, I consider Miller above Sobers as an AR. :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
For me,Miller's 3.1 wickets per match,,just one 10WM & much much less 5 wicket hauls as well.All these things count as much against him as abowler as Imran's not outs against him.Imran is in the same tier as Marshal,Barnes,Hadlee etc when it comes to bowlers while Miller is nowhere near that.

Is Miller one of the top 10 bowlers ever? Not even top 20(would be somewhere around 25 to 30 for me).

Tell me number of those players or writers/journalists who consider Imran as one of the best & also those consider Miller in the top 10 or atleast as good as Imran.
That's because he bowled much less per test. That's like saying Muralitharan is better than Imran Khan because of 5fers and 10fers and because he takes more per test.

None of that counts against Miller. To be honest, when I consider top 10 bowlers, I could put Khan in there and I could also not, here is just a sample list:

Spofforth, Barnes, Lillee, Marshall, Hadlee, Warne, McGrath, Murali, Akram and Donald. All with cases just as good if not better to be in that top 10.

And then you say Miller can't even be top 20? I think you're love of Imran is helping that persuation out.

archie mac

International Coach
Those bowlers don't make these lists doesn't mean top 10 lists are a waste of time.Most of people here give references of different players & ,journalists when it comes to discussing any player especially Sobers' position as an allrounder & thats the only argument you people have in favour of him(because his stats say the opposite),so if your argument that Miller is as good as any other alltime great bowler stands a leg,I would like you to do the same.
Did you not read the Hutton quote?:unsure:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Actually, you could argue stats-wise he is better than Imran. Just takes a bit of time and a leniency towards being unbiased about it - which I am not saying I am totally am and you are incapable of it, but just that a very sound argument can be made on stats that Sobers is better than Imran.

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
For me,Miller's 3.1 wickets per match,,just one 10WM & much much less 5 wicket hauls as well.All these things count as much against him as abowler as Imran's not outs against him.Imran is in the same tier as Marshal,Barnes,Hadlee etc when it comes to bowlers while Miller is nowhere near that.

Tell me number of those players or writers/journalists who consider Imran as one of the best & also those consider Miller in the top 10 or atleast as good as Imran.
Agreed on point second and third. Imran do figures in top ten bowlers of all time on most ex players list, Miller is not ranked that highly.
Ppl might disagree over the fact that Imran should or be in top ten list, but as far as Miler is concerned, there aren't even many discussions over the fact that he should eeven be considered among the top 20 bowlers of all the times

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Funny how Imran is now ahead having trailed all along. No doubt the new members list will show 6 new members in the last hour registered by the same person to distort the vote.:laugh:

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Actually, you could argue stats-wise he is better than Imran. Just takes a bit of time and a leniency towards being unbiased about it - which I am not saying I am totally am and you are incapable of it, but just that a very sound argument can be made on stats that Sobers is better than Imran.

They played at different time and most importantly on different surfaces, don't see much sense of going by stats here

archie mac

International Coach
He din't say Miller is one of the greatest ever ,did he?

BTW,any other references?Because just one like that is not enough as compared to so many in favour of Imran Khan.
Not in that quote, but he did say so many times:) Benaud also rated him one of the all time greats, and he has watched quite a few:)

And I am not saying Imran is not a great bowler:cool: Just that they can be compared:)

That's because he bowled much less per test. That's like saying Muralitharan is better than Imran Khan because of 5fers and 10fers and because he takes more per test.
Imran Khan took more per tests than Muralitharan(thats if you exclude those 20 or 22 matches Imran played as a batsman during different phases of his career).