• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Still baffles me why anyone would want a complete **** in their side though - surely he must think MacGill's not as nasty as some?
If he wins you games, all is forgiven usually.

Tbh, MacGill's personality defects are not nearly as big a problem as his injury concerns and total lack of convincing recent form. That's what will hurt him, not the fact he can carry on like a pork chop.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I blame Australia's poor schooling system and spell check. Don't know how i ever got into the habit of not using 'he's' and never got picked up for it at school. But I think these days most English teachers can't be stuffed, as I'm probably the majority rather then minority. When it comes to poor grammer, spelling and use of apostrophe. Its those basic aspects of English most of my generation lack.
I'm self-taught in respect of grammar - no-one even attempted to teach me any grammar after about the 4th year of primary school (ie. this is a full stop, this is a noun etc). Only time I've heard mention of different kinds of tenses etc was in LOTE classes, and when my boss has occasionally shredded something I've written for tense confusion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If he wins you games, all is forgiven usually.
Maybe. But often having a **** in the dressing-room can be detrimental to the prospects of winning games. The best dressing-rooms have to be harmonious, and while a genuinely nasty cricketer seems to me to be a pretty rare thing - the recent Shane Warne revelations suggest he was hardly the most harmonious thing ever to happen to Australia later in his career - if you do get such a thing, no matter how talented he may be, you're better-off without IMO.
Tbh, MacGill's personality defects are not nearly as big a problem as his injury concerns and total lack of convincing recent form. That's what will hurt him, not the fact he can carry on like a pork chop.
Absolutely. People are prone to dig for more faults (especially non-playing-related ones) when there are already faults abounding.

Mind, I'd argue his form has never exactly been oustanding, except against Bangladesh.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon this whole thing about MacGill not being a team player is a bit over the top. I can't remember a single NSW player ever having issues with his attitude or behaviour. The guys part of the leadership group for NSW and has captained them before. Personally I think the whole thing has more to do with the fact he doesn't get along with some players in the national set up, then anything else.

pasag

RTDAS
I'm self-taught in respect of grammar - no-one even attempted to teach me any grammar after about the 4th year of primary school (ie. this is a full stop, this is a noun etc). Only time I've heard mention of different kinds of tenses etc was in LOTE classes, and when my boss has occasionally shredded something I've written for tense confusion.
I'm self taught as well, I basically mucked around throughout school and never learnt much till year 11 and 12 where I thankfully got my act together but was still missing basic writing and math skills. Have been playing alot of catch up since then.

And yeah the 'his' has annoyed me for ages, I always thought Chaminda_00 did it on purpose for that very reason like I do 'abit' :p

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe. But often having a **** in the dressing-room can be detrimental to the prospects of winning games. The best dressing-rooms have to be harmonious, and while a genuinely nasty cricketer seems to me to be a pretty rare thing - the recent Shane Warne revelations suggest he was hardly the most harmonious thing ever to happen to Australia later in his career - if you do get such a thing, no matter how talented he may be, you're better-off without IMO.

Absolutely. People are prone to dig for more faults (especially non-playing-related ones) when there are already faults abounding.

Mind, I'd argue his form has never exactly been oustanding, except against Bangladesh.
I don't think anyone is suggesting MacGill is genuinely 'nasty' as opposed to being a bit of a git.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm self taught as well, I basically mucked around throughout school and never learnt much till year 11 and 12 where I thankfully got my act together but was still missing basic writing and math skills. Have been playing alot of catch up since then.

And yeah the 'his' has annoyed me for ages, I always thought Chaminda_00 did it on purpose for that very reason like I do 'abit' :p
And Kev and his non-apostrophe-use. :huh: Always baffled me that one. And Shoaib\BhupinderSingh and his no-spaces-between-punctuation-marks. And countless hundreds of people and their inability to put the facing-first batsman at number-one (cue Cribb Rolleyes).

And, I suppose, me and my YES, THIS POST WAS IN JEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!s that seems to irritate so many, almost as much as it irritates me when people a) think I'm being serious when I'm not or b) claim I'm a joyless gimp or similar.

Athlai

Not Terrible
claim I'm a joyless gimp or similar.
n. Gimp is a usually derogatory term used to refer to a (male or female) ***ual submissive person, typically dressed in black leather (or rubber), often in a gimp suit, and wearing a bondage hood or mask of the same material.

:detective

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I don't think anyone is suggesting MacGill is genuinely 'nasty' as opposed to being a bit of a git.
Exactly. He's just a different guy, doesn't fit in to your stereotype of Australian sportsman. Although he does still swear like a trooper.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I've always felt for him a bit tbh - I don't know how difficult he can be personally, but it seems to me he gets crucified because he's more at home discussing the subtleties of a good red with a close friend than going out on the town getting hammered with the team. Ok, it may mean he doesn't fit in with the boys much as he's expected to, but it doesn't make him a bad guy.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
From all reports, can be pretty temperamental (sp). Players talk about him being very angry about misfields off his own bowling, moreso than others. I think those who first come across him find him a bit off-putting; it seems as though those who have played with him a lot know what to expect from him, and it's not nearly as big a deal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've always felt for him a bit tbh - I don't know how difficult he can be personally, but it seems to me he gets crucified because he's more at home discussing the subtleties of a good red with a close friend than going out on the town getting hammered with the team. Ok, it may mean he doesn't fit in with the boys much as he's expected to, but it doesn't make him a bad guy.
Re-reading a few of the posts I seem to be making such a suggestion - wasn't my intention I should add.

Fitting-in is helpful, but not doing so doesn't automatically make one a bad person.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
That FoxSports article isn't extremely well written. Those exact quotes and more are used in the SMH and I didn't quite get that impression.

SMH also said that if MacGill is not passed fit, Cullen would be the most likely replacement. So my question to my fellow Webheads is if MacGill is not fit, who should play instead of him? An extra pacer? Or Hea... another spinner?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That FoxSports article isn't extremely well written. Those exact quotes and more are used in the SMH and I didn't quite get that impression.

SMH also said that if MacGill is not passed fit, Cullen would be the most likely replacement. So my question to my fellow Webheads is if MacGill is not fit, who should play instead of him? An extra pacer? Or Hea... another spinner?
If Cullen were to play it would be a joke. He struggles to take wickets at domestic level can't see how he'd be any better ar test level. Go with four quicks. I've always been of the opinion that you play your best bowlers no matter how they bowl the ball. Which is why I thought MacGill should have been playing alongside Warne for years.

Mister Wright

So MacGill is(\was) better than the Flemings, Kasprowiczs of this World? :huh:
Never rated Fleming. Kasprowicz hardly ever played consitently due to not being from N.S.W., but yes, I think he was.

He is now, definitely in our top four if not Australia's best bowling option. And, if he were to get injured, Cullen certainly is not in the top four.

Of course, if the conditions are so in favour of quicks or spinners than the best four rule may not be always used, but generally a very good/great bowler can bowl well in any conditions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never rated Fleming.
But you rate MacGill? :blink:

Cannot fathom that one mate.
Kasprowicz hardly ever played consitently due to not being from N.S.W., but yes, I think he was.
So... Kasprowicz hardly ever played because he isn't a NSWer, but MacGill (who is) didn't either? :huh:
He is now, definitely in our top four if not Australia's best bowling option. And, if he were to get injured, Cullen certainly is not in the top four.

Of course, if the conditions are so in favour of quicks or spinners than the best four rule may not be always used, but generally a very good/great bowler can bowl well in any conditions.
Agree completely with this BTW.

Mister Wright

But you rate MacGill? :blink:

Cannot fathom that one mate.

So... Kasprowicz hardly ever played because he isn't a NSWer, but MacGill (who is) didn't either? :huh:

Agree completely with this BTW.
MacGill was a champion bowler, the only reason MacGill didn't play more often is because of Warne. When he did get a start his record showed that he was up there with the great spinners. I think MacGill is harshly marked because of the comparison to Warne who is a once in a lifetime player, if Warne had not been born MacGill could have been one of the greatest spinners of all time.

The reason Kaspa didn't play more often is because players from other states were favoured ahead of him when he was bowling well. The only way Kaspa could even get a look in was when he averaged 8 with the ball for the season and demanded selection.